Search

Florida (keys) trip itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida (keys) trip itinerary

Hello all,

Soon we'll be taking our first trip to Florida.
I've researched the area a bit and still haven't come to a final cut regarding our itinerary. We'll (my husband and I) be there five nights.,,,flying into Key West and leaving out of Fort Lauderdale.

So.. It's either:

2 nights Key West
2 nights Islamorada
1 night Fort Lauderdale

or

1 night Key West
3 nights Islamorada
1 night Fort Lauderdale

In Islamorada we plan to rent a boat for half a day.. swim and snorkel...
maybe kayak.

but I also like good coffee, food, biking and exploring.. so that seems nice too.

At first I thought it was enough to just quickly see Key West.. we get in at 2PM and spend the night.. but now I wonder if that would seem too hectic. And the more I read about it the more I can imagine spending a leisurely day there.

Anyway, I'm just wanting to be done with this decision.. and to move on to finalizing details. So people who have been there.. what would you do?

thanks so much
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM

More Key West more to do...
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 03:44 AM

I agree. We've been going to Key West for nearly 20 years and never run out of things to keep us entertained. All water sports are available there, and in my opinion, it's a much better place for biking than the other keys.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 04:46 AM

three nights Key West...1 night Islamorada... 1 night FtL...

Islamorada is much more for sport fishing over snorkel...

Key west much better for bike rental...
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I didn't think I would like Key West all that much until I started to read more about it. I'm also worried after dark (which comes early this time of year)in Islamorada there wouldn't be much to do. And it makes me sad haha to see huge fish pulled from the ocean.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I'm not hugely into biking.. just think it's a nice option for getting around in a small town. I'm not like a bike enthusiast...haha. I guess we were just excited to rent a boat ourselves and go out to where the reefs are supposedly the best which I had read is around that area. We both love being out on the water (that's one of our favorite things).. whereas exploring/biking.. is more what I enjoy.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM

I'm not sure how experienced you are with boating, but I think I've read that the waters around the keys can be quite tricky to navigate. You might want to double-check that before renting.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Key West is like our second home. I drive by everything else going and coming except the sunshine grocery for hot out of the oven Cuban bread and a Cuban coffee. Where are you staying in KW? We take our bikes and ride everywhere but it is very walkable. The Boathouse, downstairs from the commodore on the A&B marina has the BEST happy hour. Half price apps and drinks from 4 to 6:30. You can watch the charters come in and see them feed the scraps to huge Tarpon there. Take one of the sunset cruises on the Jolly Roger. They have many snorkel trips also and the whole deal with KW is the laid back feeling. Don't freak when the cruise ships come in, they are all gone by sunset.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM

I have one last tip. The KW runway is very short. The pilot is not an idiot. He does give you a warning. Anyway, you will love Key West!
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Now I'm slightly freaked out yet thankful for the warning...
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Just back from a Thanksgiving family stay in Florida Keys...staying in Cudjoe Key and touring Key West. First timers there though in Florida previously. Yes, lots of boating and fishing and water sports in lots of places. Enjoy.

See http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...s-168718-2.cfm
Bill in Boston
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM

When is your trip?
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Vacations aren't fun. Way too many details to attend to.
Thanks for the trip report btw..
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We used to go every year and spend a week in Islamorada and just go to Key West for a day trip. This is after a few long weekend trips in Key West. Personally, I prefer Islamorada - but it sounds like you want more night life. For you, I'd recommend the
"2 nights Key West
2 nights Islamorada
1 night Fort Lauderdale"
plan.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to the keys with my daughter last year at this time and we spent two nights in Islamorada, two nights at Key West, and then the last night at Key Largo as we were driving back to fly out of Miami. We thought this worked out really well. My trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

no, I don't really like night life. I don't mind sort of some activity after dark. But bars and stuff? I don't really do.. maybe a drink sitting outside somewhere people watching.. that's about the full extent of it. Still hung up on this decision I must make my tonigt.. argg.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

^Oh actually I had already read your trip report. I thought it was really funny. But I couldn't really tell if you liked the area...perhaps it's because the water was too cold for water activities? It's interesting you went and left almost exactly the same time we're going..
What was the night/day time temps when you went? Just slightly below normal?
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

and thanks starrs.. that's interesting input.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM

I have very good friends in Key West and visit often
Isla Morala is a day trip for me----it's o.k. but does not compare to what Key West offers to do. Key West before Christmas is magical, lots to do, dancing in the streets, decorated to the nines, gallerys having openings and parties , great holiday vibes. Weather is warm in florida now, warmest in a long time so the water should not be cold yet, we have not had any real cold fronts come through. The very best snorkling in the keys is Looe Key on mm 37 north of KW---if you will not have a car John Pennecamp in Key Largo is pretty awesome. Kayak in KW, u will not have to snorkle to see it all, and if you are lucky dolphins will accompany you along the back country. I would recommend spending more time in Key West, and less in Islamorala....you will not be sorry!
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Isla Morala.. sexy.. Never seen it spelled out that way.
Okay.. I think you convinced me.
And with two days in each. I think it'll be harder to have regrets. I get to see and do both that way.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -