Florida Keys and Eastern Florida

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 05:06 PM
Jim

Florida Keys and Eastern Florida

We are planning an 8 day trip to the Keys and eastern Flofida and would appreciate any tips and "must see" suggestions.Thanks.

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 05:19 PM
Lisa

I would highly rec. a seaplane trip out of Key West to see Fort Jefferson. This is the island where Dr. Mudd was kept after the Lincoln assassination. The snorkeling is great and it is very interesting.

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 08:41 PM
Sanjay

You will enjoy the keys. We just moved from south florida to dallas *sigh*
The musts in the keys, are: rent scooters and tour the island ($20-$25 per day), the glass bottom boats are ok, i rather suggest a sunset catamaran cruise, they usually provide beer and wine for the journey. if you have time, you can also take an earlier trip and snorkel outon the reefs. there are 100's of shops, restaurants and bars on duval street. Take a trip to sloppy joes, and or the hogsbreath?? saloon. There isn't much of a beach of key west, but they do have all day water sport rentals on one side of the island. (last year about $70 per day). They have the std sites too, the light house, hemingways house, etc. The preferrable place to stay would be a bed and breakfast, don't have one to refer you too though!
If you drive down from Miami, stop at Holiday Isle in Isla Morada for a drink. Supposed world famous rum runners in their giant tikki bar. Unbelievable view of the water.

There's plenty to do all the way down from West Palm - Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Take your time and have fun!

Old Dec 5th, 1997, 04:20 AM
Mike Miller

Some good Key West restaurants: Turtle Kraals (seafood) and El Siboney (Cuban). Also, be sure to tour the Key West cemetary.

Old Dec 19th, 1997, 01:31 PM
Judith Higbee

Due to a change in our personal plans, there is an oceanfront room available with refrig. for $100/night at the Ebbtide Hotel on Pompano Beach during Christmas Week. Wanted to let you all know, since rooms are tight in FL right now. I have never stayed at Ebbtide but it is rated as a Superior Small Lodging by the Ft. Lauderdale Visitors' Bureau. The Ebbtide has a web page which can be linked through the Ft. Laud. website. Ebbtide tel # is 954/941-7200.
Hope this helps someone.

Old Dec 25th, 1997, 02:02 PM
Celeste

I visit my sister in the Keys a few times a year and can highly recommend the Ocean Key House in Key West as the most beautiful place to stay if you have at least $200 per night. That can get you a one BR with kitchen and Jacuzzi tub, and you'll be right in the middle of the Key West action - walk to everything.

I hope you've done your research and know that Key Largo to Key West is 115 miles and will take several hours to drive. Each key has a different character, and don't stay in Key West unless you drink, dive, snorkel or fish. There's not much else to do!