Florida gulf beach-sharks teeth?

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:01 PM
bill

Florida gulf beach-sharks teeth?

Does anyone know on which florida gulf beach sharks teeth can be found? My 6 year old had someone bring him some and he's on a mission to find some. Thanks if you can help!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Patrick

I'm not a shell collector but live in Naples and have spent a lot of time in Sanibel and have never found sharks' teeth. But my aunt and uncle have a place at Englewood/Manasota Key and they have a couple of huge jars filled with sharks' teeth that they have found on the beach there in front of their condo.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:35 AM
OliveOyl

I've never found any around the Clearwater area either, but have heard they are plentiful around Venice.

We used to find them by the fistful on Tybee Island (Savannah's beach) when we lived there.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:29 PM
ann

Venice is the sharks teeth capital of Florida, maybe everywhere. A few years ago you could find them just by digging with your hands in the sand at water's edge but then they did some beach reconstruction and the teeth arn't as plentiful. You can still find plenty but do better with a sharks tooth digger tool - sold at several stores on Venice Ave (which is the main street) but also at Wal-Mart, etc. If you see someone with one on the beach just ask to borrow it as it's not worth buying a digger (about $15) if you are only there for a short while. And if you want the easy way out all the stores on Venice Ave sell the teeth.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Sal

We have found Casperson Beach in Venice to have an abundance of sharks teeth. My son goes to a camp at Mote Marine every summer, which always includes a trip to Casperson Beach to look for shark's teeth.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:23 AM
joan

Little Gasparilla Island has them by the fistful. Friends who live there have two huge vases on their fireplace filled with sharks teeth. Just look down at your feet, and there they are. Little Gasparilla is reachable by ferry, also known as Palm Island. About a half hour south of Venice. Happy collecting!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Leone

I am happy to report no shark teeth sightings on Treasure Island, and more particularly at the lower peninsular longingly known as Sunset Beach. Nor any indirect evidence occasioned by discovery of telltales such as remora whiskers. Ciao