florida considerations

Search

florida considerations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
florida considerations

If considering a move, what are some pros and cons of living in various parts of Florida?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
City data forums are excellent for relocation questions
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:05 PM

Jobs, heat, housing, and giant cockroaches (AKA palmetto bugs by the locals)
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live on the beach in Fort Lauderdale and guess what? Ninety degrees here in the beach with humidity actually feels cooler than that exact same ninety degrees and humidity we endured for 40+ years in Northern Virginia in the summer. Cooler because we have a nice breeze every day so the degree of heat depends (a lot) on exactly where you live down here.

Jobs? That totally depends on what you are trained to do and where you decide to live. There are ads for jobs down here, especially MEDICAL jobs, all the time, as one example.

I have yet to see any of the giant cockroaches Gail has apparently experienced but yes they are here.

What is ALSO here:

higher (than in some places) auto insurance rates
higher (than in some places) home hazard insurance rates
higher (than in some places) property tax rates
lower (than in some places) sale tax rates
lower than most other places state income tax rates (there isn't one)
an absence of state inheritance taxes
potentially lower costs for clothing (since not as much is required)
lower (than in some places) utility bills depending on which of the MANY DIFFERENT utility companies in this state supplies your electricity
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Please, be serious. It's a huge state! Pros and cons of living in Florida would fill volumes, not to mention that your list depends entirely upon you and your circumstances.

Palmetto bugs are a non-issue, what a ridiculous thing to list as a reason not to move here! I can't remember the last time I saw one in my house.

OK, my cons:
--weather, including heat and hurricanes. Heat varies a lot depending on where in this huge state you choose to live.
--high property taxes, somewhat balanced out by no income tax
--an older population on the whole, which IMO is what leads to mediocre-to-bad local governance and a resistance to spending on education and infrastructure

Pros:
--awesome weather! No winter, which means an outdoor lifestyle year round
--endless beautiful coastline
--plentiful healthcare options
--my family is here

To me, everything else is much the same as in other parts of the US in which I've lived--mostly good, some bad.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 01:52 AM

As a follow-on, it actually can get cool if not actually cold in some parts of north and northwest Florida in the winter.

OTOH this past winter it actually got down into the high 40's overnight and for a few hours here on the beach a couple of times. People acted as if they had been transported to Siberia but we still never had to turn the heat on.

And that "older population" also depends on where in Florida you live, too.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 01:55 AM

Notice that despite NewbE and I both living in a "huge" state we both talked about the weather and the property taxes? Figure it out.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 02:24 AM

My brother lives in south Florida. In the summer he complains it is too hot. I live in Boston. In the winter I complain it is too cold. I think the 2 balance each other out, so to me weather is almost not an issue unless you are especially heat-intolerant.

(The palmetto bug reference was supposed to be ridiculous - although they are disgusting. I currently hate northern deer ticks more than palmetto bugs)

But I think no one can give you specific answers without more info on why you are moving to FL and what you are seeking. Job, retirement, beach, financial efficiency, schools?
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 05:02 AM

My only comment here is that every morning, EVERY morning last winter when I exited my condo in south Florida to pick up the newspaper, I could barely control my delight in the glorious weather...cool, sunny often with some clouds. I would stand there and breathe in, and rejoice (I am not religious!) in the good fortune that allowed me to be there during the winter months. And I am far inland, not in an area that one would dream about....about 20 minutes west of the ocean....in a planned community similar to a thousand others.

We spend December through mid or late April in Florida and I never remember being uncomfortably hot or cold. I saw a few ants, quickly dispatched by the pest person, and no large bugs. No rodents. One snake in the garden which caused a minor upset for me.

The big skies, the clouds, the lack of humidity (Yes, true)..winters in that area are really quite glorious.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 07:49 AM

ekscrunchy, how well said!. When we sit outside in February, eating lunch, or at our favorite watering hole listening to a jazz band, we think, why doesn't everyone live here??

As for hot humid, summers, I agree with Dukey, DC summers are FAR worse than they are in many parts of Florida. I would add that Minnesota summers, Kansas summers, and Virginia summers were about comparable, and yes, we've lived in all of those places. And yes, it does depend on where you are in the state.

gail, oh, good, I'm glad you were joking! Palmetto bugs are actually a kind of beetle, outdoor only--they get inside only by accident, not to infest your home, and they do not carry disease like the much smaller German cockroaches so common in cities. Deer ticks are scary!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 07:57 AM

<And that "older population" also depends on where in Florida you live, too.>
As far as who you see around day to day, true. I was talking more about the sun belt phenomenon I observed in Arizona as well: retirees are not interested in long-term investment, for obvious reasons, so they tend to oppose tax increases for infrastructural projects and education. And they vote, which younger people need to do if they want their voices heard.

Of course I am speaking on a macro level.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 08:25 AM

The pros and cons of living in Florida are not that much different than the pros and cons of living in any other state or country, for that matter. They are based upon a person's perceptions, circumstances needs and desires and they can differ greatly from person to person.

Weather, for instance, can be a pro or a con. People who live in areas of extreme cold might perceive the warmer weather in Florida to be a "pro" but it you happen to be intolerant of the heat or you love snowmobiling and skiing, then you might view the Florida weather as a "con".

Likewise, jobs and employment opportunities - if you happen to be employed in a job you love or you have a skill set that is in high demand then it's a "pro" but if you are unemployed and can't find work or if the only skill you have is mountain climbing or igloo making then it's a "con". I realize this examples are extreme but you get the idea.

As others have mentioned, Florida is a big state, with several big cities and nice suburbs, plenty of small towns and some rural areas. Which one you'll classify as "pros" or "cons" depends on YOUR lifestyle.

You really need to make a list of what YOU why you want to relocate and what think is important to your lifestyle only then will you be able to determine if living in Florida can fill that bill and, if so, which areas tick off most of the things on that list.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 08:58 AM

My parents rented in Florida for a year when they retired.That gave them the information they needed to choose where to buy.

25 years later, my Mother still lives in the townhouse they bought and tells me constantly how perfect it is.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 09:02 AM

That was very smart, elberko, good for them! Florida real estate is tricky, because hurricanes and defaults on second homes inject extra volatility into the market. Best to take the time to figure out where you want to live before committing your money!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A big con for me is the presence of several in-laws I'd like to avoid.

I don't entirely agree about the weather. IMO, Florida in uninhabitable from May until October -- and then you're in hurricane season. While DC, NY and even Boston have their horrible, hot and humid spells, they are much shorter. But I admit that is personal -- I dislike hot weather and don't mind the cold.

I was going to object to sharing a state with he Disney Corporation, but realized that only a mile or so away in my own city Disney has a few shows running. Perhaps there is no escape.

I have to say I enjoy natural Florida, where it still exists. The Everglades, various swamps and sloughs, rivers and forest. Also the coast, away from the high rises.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Well, Fra, you've already said that I live "in a swamp" so I can fully understand your feelings about the weather down here.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

70- fully retired.
My questions are really

- inland versus coast
-north versus middle or south- we have intered in sarasota quite a few times and loved it there
- senior community versus multi- age
we want to find a warmer climate than PA, live someplace totally different- lived in a small pa town all of our lives
enjoy the company of other seniors, play games, swim, relax, garden

not too much work
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'Well, Fra, you've already said that I live "in a swamp"'

Dukey, didn't you say you lived near swamps in the "skeeters thread"?

Regardless, I'm sorry I ever said it.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM

If you liked Sarasota, why not go back there?

It does not have great airline service, but it has a lot going for it otherwise.

What did you like? Dislike?

Rent year round for a year or two, then make the decision.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 01:15 PM

Well, do you want to be on the coast? Inland is cheaper, and inland up north is very different from central Florida. You could also live near the beach, as I do in Tampa--near enough for me, but wouldn't be for some people. I don;t now how to help you decide that! You either have a passion to be on the coast or not.

Sarasota is pretty great all around, although the point about airline service is a good one.

Will the budget allow a few trips, maybe a week each, to the northern and southern parts of the state, respectively? If not, you could rent in or near Sarasota, since you know you like it, and then spend the year traveling around the state to see if something strikes your fancy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -