Florida Beaches from Valdosta, GA

Aug 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Florida Beaches from Valdosta, GA

Hey all. My husband and I just relocated to Valdosta, GA for his job (a slight change from St. Louis, but that's another story...) and we are hoping to take advantage of the beaches that are within driving distance.

We've already hit Jacksonville and St. Augustine, and we're looking for a day trip in the Tallahassee direction.

Do you have any specifics on public access beaches and/or good spots to hang by the water that would fall within the 120 mile distance from Valdosta? Tallahassee proper is 84 miles from us.

Thank you in advance!!
Aug 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hello! Unfortunately, the beaches that are closest to Tallahassee are somewhat limited. Alligator Point is the closest "beach" area but the water is not the clear blue gulf water you might be expecting. There is a state park there (Bald Point) that is quite nice for walking, fishing, birdwatching etc. There are also two county parks in that area, Shell Point and Mashes Sands, that were pretty before Hurricane Dennis -- I have not been back since then. Mashes Sands had a small but very scenic sandy beach.

If you are willing to expand your mileage just a bit, you can get to St. George Island from Tallahassee in about an hour and a half. The state park there (Julian Bruce St. George Island State Park) was still recovering from Dennis when I went earlier this year, and facilities are not yet completely rebuilt (it took a horrible hit) but the beaches are wide and not crowded. Pre-Dennis it was one of my favorite beach spots. There are restaurants on the island, also (no food facilities right within the park).

Most of the places I've mentioned are listed on one of the following sites:
http://www.floridastateparks.org/Fin...Dist=Northwest
http://www.floridaparks.com/beaches/...lla_county.htm

And, of course, don't forget the obligatory day trip to Wakulla Springs -- not exactly a beach (although there is a swimming area) but within easy driving distance for a day trip. Unfortunately the glass-bottomed boats that used to tour the spring are really more of a memory than anything else because of declining water quality (I moved here in 1994 and have never seen them in operation), and some of the wildlife that was here ten years ago has apparently disappeared, but the river boats are still quite enjoyable.

Happy exploring!
Aug 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM

To second what Barbara said, St. George is probably your best bet. From where I live (north Tallahassee) it takes about 1 hour 45 minutes. However, in just another 30 minutes, you can be at the Beaches of South Walton-Seaside, Seagrove, Watercolor, Grayton, etc.

http://beachesofsouthwalton.com/

http://www.sowal.com/

Be sure to click on the "photos" section of this link.

These are some of the prettiest beaches in Florida, IMHO. Snow white sand and crystal clear green water.
The area looks much farther away on the map but time-wise it is only 30 minutes longer because most on the trip is on I-10.

There is also Cape San Blas

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/

Cape San Blas is about a 20 minute drive from St. George so you could easily do both in one day trip. The state park is at the very end of the cape.

Have fun.
Aug 13th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Cape San Blas / Indian Pass area is my favorite part of Florida for beaches.
Aug 14th, 2006, 05:06 AM

You stated Jax, but did you visit Amelia Island ? That would be my own personal favorite.
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone...I guess I'm mostly just looking for directions to a beach that we can lay out on without having to check into a hotel for the day, and my husband would prefer the Gulf side for a day, as opposed to the Atlantic.
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Cape San Blas State Park. One of the prettiest beaches everywhere. Often shows up on the top 10 beaches list.
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Sorry, the name wasn't right. Here's a link to the State Park on San Blas.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/default.cfm

They have nice cabins for rent if you are interested. If you've never been scalloping, St Joe's Bay is great to try. Some folks rent a boat for the day to fish, scallop or just hang out.

Or, if you are just looking for what has been named the #1 Beach in the US, it's your place.

Be sure to eat at the Indian Pass Raw Bar (simple great seafood and VERY casual) if it has reopened.
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM

According to mapquest - 182 miles - 3 1/2 hours

The Raw Bar has reopened!
http://www.indianpassrawbar.com/

Hope it hasn't gotten "too fancy". Walk in the door, head directly for the coolers on the back wall, choose your drink and open it on one of the openers on the columns, turn and smile at whoever is behind the counter, pick a table and look at the board to decide what you want to eat. You'll look like a regular and not a newbie!
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM

OK, Starrsville, When you you going to meet me there???
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I think I will enjoy walking on (and scuffing up) that new floor!!! GO NOLES!
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Anytime, SSS, anytime. Just give me an excuse and I'm headed that way!
Aug 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

that is just what we are looking for...I'll let you know how it is. Thank you!!!
Aug 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Well, I don't want to spoil the surprise for you, but it is heaven on earth! (But, shhh! don't tell everyone!)

If you need goodies, stop in Apalachicola, 'cause there's not a lot of options past Ap - until you get to St. Joe - which is a GOOD thing in my book!
Aug 14th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

OK, one more question. Husband is allergic to seafood, but happily joins me on my search for the perfect shrimp, so long as there is something not from the sea he can eat. Do they serve some sort of chicken, etc?
Aug 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

^^^
Aug 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Indian Pass? I don't think so. They are pretty much just seafood - not even salads. They used to have burgers and corn dogs I think.

Sunshine Sue, can you check it out? Have they spruced up their menu along with the sprucing up of the interior? I hope they keep the peeling paint exterior
Aug 18th, 2006, 07:22 AM

I have not been since they reopened. but there is a phone number on the website. Ebiddix, there are some good restaurants in Apalachicola. I have eaten at Tameras recently and it was very good. Also, the classic Boss Oyster on the river.

http://www.apalachicolariverinn.com/boss.html

On St. George Island, you might want to try the Blue Parrot.

Aug 24th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

What do folks think about Bald Point State Park? Is there area to layout?
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:14 AM

I've never heard of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO