Flea Markets/Swap Meets San Francisco

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Michele

Flea Markets/Swap Meets San Francisco

Ok, I've been to San Francisco many, many times, but this time I'm going with some one who has an interest in wanting to go to a flea market and/or swap meet. I'm stumped. Does anyone know what Frisco has to offer in the way of either? Will be going over a long weekend in September.

Also, interested in any hotel options in the city and/or B & B's that people have tried.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:02 AM
KT

I'm not a flea market person, but my friend Barbara, Queen of Fleas, is a big fan of the Alemany Flea Market, at 100 Alemany Blvd, near the junction of 101 and 280. Last I heard it was open on Wednesdays and Sundays 8-3. (I'm sure about the Sunday part; Barbara was there yesterday!) It's a good ways from downtown SF, and I don't know what bus routes go there.

BTW, if you've been to SF so many times, I'm surprised nobody has told you not to call it "Frisco."

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Michele

KT,
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I'm from So Calif - here we still say "Frisco", if it offends anyone, sorry - old habits die hard, and when I first started going to "SF" it was "Frisco".

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Shannon

I will address the B&B part of the question. I just returned from a CA trip (will post my trip soon), but I stayed at the White Swan right by Union Square. There are nice oversized rooms, comfortable beds, great homemade breakfasts w/ scones, biscuits, cinnamon buns, quiche, fruit and cereal etc. We paid $205 a night. The convience of having a nice homemade breakfast downstairs was great.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:23 PM
kam

I came to SF from Los Angeles several years ago. I learned very early on never to call it "Frisco" when they threatened me with physical violence! Just kidding, but it really does grate--similar to "LA-LA land" and "Behind the Orange Curtain" or do those sound OK to you? Hope you find a great Flea Market--the best one I know in the state is in Pasadena! :~)

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 04:53 PM
susan

There's a wonderful antique flea market on the first Sunday of every month at the former Alameda Naval Air Station. Alameda is just across the Bay Bridge and a bit south. From the flea market you have an incredible view of SF across the bay. Have a look at www.antiquesbybay.com.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Michele's Helper

Well, here's a website to check out:

www.fleamarketguide.com