Flaming Gorge Maneuvering

Jun 24th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Flaming Gorge Maneuvering

Utahtea - if you are still around, I can't remember where I read that Flaming Gorge was not high on your list! If anyone can give me some insight about it, I'd be grateful. Does it have any short hikes (mile or so), and a scenic road? Or do you catch it by driving down Rt. 530 which a blogger recommended instead of 191 (not into fishing or boating). Are there desginated overlooks? Husband and I will probably combine this on same trip with Dinosaur National Monument. Thanks so much! And hope to get to Capitol Reef for the 3rd time - my favorite place on earth! What areas are scenic between Torrey and on up to Vernal? We have done all the southern parks twice - SO fantastic.
Jun 25th, 2019, 12:50 PM

We took 530 and 44 and did the Sheep Creek Geological Loop as a detour off of 44. This is a beautiful side loop with good wildlife viewing. The Red Canyon Overlook also had great views. There's a trail that partially follows the rim. Is this a day trip from Vernal or are you starting from somewhere else?

Red Canyon

Sheep Creek

Sheep Creek

Bighorn sheep
Jun 26th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SO much, Patty - appreciate the info and great pics!
Jul 6th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Still trying to figure out Flaming Gorge!

Am still struggling with where to go/what to see in this area i.e. is it scenic all the way around the Gorge loop? I read somewhere Highway 530 is better. Patty - I am definitely taking you up on Sheep's Creek area after looking at pictures. It's one heck of a loop to do both 191 and 530 i.e. would stay in the southern area. Doesn't look like alot of accommodations up at Green River. As it is, we fly into Salt Lake to arrive early afternoon, so we will stay in Evanston and then take the most direct route down to Sheep's Creek to start.
Jul 6th, 2019, 01:17 PM

We drove down the west side from Green River. I don't know what the 191 side looks like. I would say the best scenery was on the southern end so you could just do that part. I think your plan is fine. I'm not sure of their hours but there's a small USFS office in Manila, UT that has maps and can answer questions.