Fl Keys

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fl Keys

Hello. Leaving tomorrow. Driving from Lauderdale to Key West. For those of you who have made the drive, what are some interesting stops along the way? Want to buy souviners and unique ladies clothing, see the beach, and musuems. Any good dining places?
What was your favorite city and why? Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM

I'm not sure what you are looking for but outside of the natural beauty of the keys, there really isn't much else.

Beaches? - not too many as most of the key beaches are rocky and not very much swimmable. There is a great state park beach:

http://www.bahiahondapark.com/

Each key looks pretty much like the other. You got your basic tourist traps. Fried food restaurants and beach wear shops.

Once you get to Key West, you will find a better variety in food and shops.

I'm not saying that there are no hidden treasures here or there, but generally speaking the keys are popular because of their natural beauty, not because of some great shopping or food or cultural places. If you like snorkeling, diving, fishing the keys are for you, Key West is all that plus a great party place, but none of it is really known for food or shopping, or interesting towns.

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM

Well, you'll need to eat somewhere http://www.nonamepub.com/
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM

I like The Rain Barrel on Islamorada. They have artwork by a number of different artists of all kinds. I have bought a number of things here over the years.

A good breakfast place in Key West is Croissants de France. Really good crepes.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

If you end up in Key Largo and are ready for some stops, you can try Alabama Jack's for food (off Card Sound Road) and Shell Man (on the main drag) for souvenirs. Enjoy the Keys!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM

Don't waste your time at the Sandal Outlet in Key Largo. They didn't have anything I haven't seen before, and I live in Michigan. They had the same style Reefs for full price (40-50) that I bought at Nordstrom Rack for under 20.

The Fish House next door was really good though- everything was excellent, and they did have the best Key Lime Pie of the trip.

Stock Island Liquors had an amazing rum assortment.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

The coconut shrimp at Lor-e-leis in Islamorada has a good reputation from a lot of people I know. I don't like the sweet coconut so I haven't tried them, but the fresh fish sandwich I had was really good.

DH has ate at Alabama Jacks also and said it was really good.

There are tourists shops along the road to the keys, but it isn't like the rest of Florida. You will see plenty of beach along the way, but like someone said the beaches are not real sandy, mainly crushed coral. The beach at Bahia Honda is a nice beach, we have camped there many times. It is around 38 miles north of Key West.

The drive to Key West is one of my favorite drives, we find different places to stop each time. Just take your time and enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the keys.

In Key West eat anywhere except the restaurants on Duval Street. There is one restaurant called BOs. It looks like it is falling down and it is on Caroline Street. It closes early for Key West, around 8:30 or 9:00 but really good food.

A beach that is nice in Key West is in Fort Zachary Taylor. It is sandy and there are some rocks that you can snorkel around and see lots of fish. Be sure to see the Hemingway House and the Audobon House they are both quite interesting.

Have fun.