FIVE DAYS IN PHOENIX

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:46 AM
don

FIVE DAYS IN PHOENIX

I will be spending five days in the Phoenix area next. From what I have read on this site, a lot of people are not too hot on Phoenix itself. So I'm looking for a plan for these five days. I thought about taking the trip up to Sedona, maybe doing a jeep tour, the Verde Canyon Railroad and visiting Jerome. How long would I need for this trip? Would it allow me enough time in Phoenix? Another plan has me spending three days in Phoenix {maybe taking a day trip to Tucson) and the other two in Sedona. I will be going to the Grand Canyon after this, and was just looking for a way to fill in these five days. So if anyone has an opinion on either of these plans or a better plan thenselves, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Sarah

Don,

Don't know what you like to do. There isn't really all that much to see in Phoenix, itself. There are some wonderful resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area - Phoenician, Hyatt Regency at Gainey Ranch, Biltmore, Princess, Camelback Inn, The Boulders, Four Seasons at Troon, even Royal Palms. Lots of golfing, lots of shopping, the Heard Museum, 5th Avenue and Old Town Scottsdale. Haven't been to Jerome, or taken the Verde Canyon Railroad. Definitely would recommend going to Sedona for a couple of days - most people like the jeep tours. Best place to stay in Sedona is Enchantment Resort for the wonderful views. I don't recall all that much in Tucson, although the Sonoran Desert Museum is nice. You might want to spend a couple of days in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and the remainder around Sedona.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Jerry

Jerome is a 1 hour side trip at most IMO. Interesting geographically and historically, but doesn't take long to see.
Sedona is worth a couple days IMO.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Max

The only attraction that I have ever enjoyed in all of my trips to Phoenix is the Heard Museum. Tucson, however, has lots to do: The Pima Air and Space Museum, The Sonora Desert Museum (a MUST), Kitt Peak Observatory, Tombstone, etc., etc. I would suggest that you spend a bit of time in Tucson.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Bob Brown

The Heard Museum is indeed a very interesting place to visit. The collection of beautifully woven baskets, pottery, and Kachina dolls is fascinating.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:06 PM
Don

Lots of good advice here already.

We just got back from 3+ days in Arizona. The Sonoran Desert Museum west of Tucson is fabulous--we spent almost four hours there and felt we sped through it. San Xavier del Bac, a mission on the southwest side of Tucson, is interesting if you're into the history of the settlement of Arizona and Catholicism/Christianity. We didn't go to Saguaro National Park, but there are two parts (one west of Tucson, one east) and we were told the one to the west was better. And it's just beyond the Sonoran Desert Museum, making it convenient to visit those two places together. We wished we'd had another day to go to Kitt Peak Observatory.

We didn't gauge our time well, so we barely got to Sedona in time to see the red rock formations--sun was already setting, and it was overcast, too. But from what little we saw there, we'd highly recommend Sedona--jaw-dropping views, one of the most awe-inspiring places we've ever seen.

We went to Taliesin West (Scottsdale), Frank Lloyd Wright's western workplace--if you're interested in architecture, it's worth a couple of hours.