Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First visit to U.S.-Have 5 nights with car from NYC, Where to travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first visit to the U.S. in July , After 2 weeks of business in NYC I will have a car for 5 nights travel(round trip), Where should I travel? North ? South? places to stay?
I would be very thankful for your replies.

Danny
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Old May 28th, 2003, 04:09 AM

danbenet:

What do you want to see/do? When I visit my relatives in Austria they know that I love the Alps so, although they see it/live it everyday, it is special to me! When they come here (New Jersey) they like to see the "City" and the stores/shopping.

So..What would "YOU" like to see/do?
JOHN
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:34 AM

I would head north up the coast and see some of New England.
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Consider driving along the north shore of Long Island, you can stop at some of the wineries on the North Fork or Shelter Island. Then take the ferry at Orient Point to CT and drive along Cape Cod to Provincetown. Stopping along the way. That can take anywhere from 2 to 4 days depending on how many stops you make and it will be a day drive back to NYC from Provincetown. If you do it in less time you can take the Ferry at Provincetown to Boston and drive back from Boston.
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
methinks, are you sure you can take a car on the ferry from Provincetown to Boston? I didn't think you could do that.
Old May 29th, 2003, 05:01 AM

I am afraid if Mr Benet drove along the North Fork of Long Island he would only learn first hand the hell of summer driving in NY!
Those little country roads are clogged day and night with Hamptons/day trippers and even those who stay there all summer avoid having to drive during certain hours. I would not recommend touring at that time of year. Aside from the fact that there will be 0 places to stay, being already booked for the summer now!
Old May 29th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Depends on your interests. Where are you from?
You could drive South to Washington DC, lots of stuff to see and do there. It would be a days drive from NYC and could easily occupy your time.
Alternatively you could drive North along the coast of Connecticut to Cape Cod and Boston (4 hrs from NYC).
Going further would entail more driving and less sightseeing.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Frankly Dan, I wouldn't drive from NYC in July. I'd either fly or take the metroliner (train) to Washington, DC, see the sights & maybe rent a car there & drive into Virginia horse country. OR, if the car is a given, check out New Jersey & Pennsylvania. Drive to Bucks County (New Hope PA., Lambertville) maybe then into Amish country.
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:12 AM
GoTravel

Agree with mclaurie, take the train to DC or Boston. No reason to drive.

Old May 29th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies

I have 5 nights if I take a train to Boston how do I get around?
In which towns should I stay overnight(July)?

Danny
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Dan you don't need a car in Boston. If you want to explore outside of Boston you can rent one there.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:06 PM

Scarlett,
During the weekdays the North Shore drive is actually not bad. It is not that crowded except for the weekends. You will not encounter any Hamptons/ Daytrippers because they will all be on the South Fork. The route to take is to start on a weekday - I think Monday or tuesday is a good time to start a trip like that - via the Grand Central to Northern State to Sunken Meadow Parkway to Sunken Meadow Park - enjoy a nice picnic breakfast on the beach. Then take Sunken Meadow back to Route 25A take 25A to Port Jeff. This is a good place to stop for lunch, stroll the shops. Continue out 25A to where it becomes North Country Road take North Country through Miller place, Sound Beach, Rocky Point. Stop in the shops along the road, feed the ducks in the pond outside of the Miller Place Inn. There is a decent Irish restaurant on North Country called Dublin Delights, mom's favorite. You can take North Country Road to where it becomes 25A again and continue along 25A all the way out to Orient Point - there are plenty of maps/signs for the wineries. or take Sound ave (Route 48). 25A runs along the south border of the North shore and Sound Ave runs along the North border of the North Fork. There are plenty of places to stay the night in the towns along this route. Danford's in Port Jeff is a decent place to stay. There are plenty of different places to stop along this route. There are also lots of small town beaches on side roads off these "main roads" where you can sit on the beach or take a quick dip, most of which are not very crowded on weekdays.

Nikki,
you may be right about not being able to bring a car on a ferry from P-town to Boston. I've actually never done that.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:41 AM
mj

dan,
<baiased plug>
I agree w/"methinks" that a nice trip would be along the North Shore of LI then heading over to New London on the ferry and up to B'town. You could even stop by our house in Centerport BTW, Scarlett does have her "forks" confused and while traffic will be more than usual, it's not that bad - besides ANYWHERE you go will have higher than usual traffic - July is "in season" - so try to decide where you're going PDQ and make reservations.

If you do take the Orient Point ferry, reservations are a must!
</biased plug>

My unbiased opinion would be to head to Washington, DC. Visit for a couple of days, then head over to the Annapolis area for a day or so, then back to NYC.

No matter where you go, July can be hot/humid along the East Coast.

hth,

Old May 30th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Thank you, but I still know my Forks

We visit friends on Nassau Point in the summer, as well as coming from Shelter Island and I think that the traffic, of course-not as bad as #27 through the Hamptons-it is still tough. It is OK if you are going from point A to point B, but I find it aanoying stuck behind a line of cars when trying to just tour the area.
We looked at a house to buy on Orient Point and the traffic, on an early spring day, was heavy getting there, we won't discuss the traffic jam at Greenpoint! Then there is the traffic one must go through to even get out to the tip of the Island!
The older I get the less traffic I want to encounter
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Dan,
Last summer I did the Long Island/Orient Point ferry then to Maine thing, and I think you would be better off going to the Adirondaks and Lake Placid, site of the 1980 Olympics. You can rent a cabin on a lake or stay in town.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:18 AM

I would spend a day in Philadelphia and a few days in Washington, DC.