Reload this Page >

First Visit To New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
judy

My husband and I are going to NO in mid May. How is the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel? Any suggestions for some really good rest. How about Cuvee--August -would a half day tour be good? thanks for help.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Dave

Omni Royal is a fine hotel, hopefully you will get a room with a balcony, and the weather will avoid being as hot as it was the first time my wife and I were in NO......As far as restaurants are concerned...I have a few suggestions that you may not see in the guidebooks, but which are worth the effort....The first (which is listed in many books) is Uglesich's. It is a rather small, local place in the Warehouse District that is fantastic, and the best way to enjoy it is to simply ask the owner to "feed you", and let him make up a lunch with things that he thinks are good that day! We did this, and while the bill may have been a bit higher than we'd have picked it was definitely worth it!! The second is near Tulane Univ, and is called Jockimo's. This one I don't think is in the books, but is a great place to hang out in the rather small bar with the locals while waiting for your table. The food is great, and we had a lot of fun there! Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:47 AM
sandi

Here's info on restaraunts in New Orleans....you have a pick of some of the ggreatest ones around!

http://www.neworleansrestaurants.com/?source=overture

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:52 AM
irene

Try these great restaurants: Nola, GW Fins, Brennan's, Bayona, Antoine's, Emeril's, Galatoire's.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:55 AM
xxxx

I went to NO last spring and we ate at the Acme Oyster Bar, which I loved. Real New Orleans atmosphere without the price. We also took a half day tour of a creole plantation that I just loved. Very affordable as well.
Have fun!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:47 AM
bennie

Stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans in Feb with my husband and we loved the hotel. It has a very convenient location in the FQ. Walked to everything very easily. Cab stand out front for those trips that were beyond walking distance. There is a rooftop pool that is lovely. Even if you don't swim go up at dusk/twilight for a beautiful view of the city.

The room we has was small but nicely decorated. Queen size bed. The King rooms have balconies. Never saw any of the balconies occupied during our stay and there was a $100 premium for the larger room. It would not have been worth it to us. You might want to sign up for the Omni membership program because you'll get a coupon for a free upgrade. Maybe you'll be able to apply it to this stay.

We ate at Irene's Cuisine - good Italian but it was a long wait. Also at Bella Luna - very good meal. Johnny's Po'Boy was down the street for very good cheap breakfast. Felix Oysters for lunch was excellent also. We stopped into the Bombay Club for drinks on 2 different nights. Also Pat O'Briens courtyard was a bit of an oassis away from the madness of Bourbon St.

Bought a lot of souveniers for kids at the French Market - all the beads and masks are far cheaper there than anywhere else. Plus the selections of hot sauces was seemingly limitless.

Have a great time. We sure did.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Lestat

Antoines is NOT what it was in its heyday - the food has gone downhill & the place attracts customers by its former glory. Do try NOLA, Brennans, Mr. B's, Arnauds, Red Fish, Napoleon House, Gumbo Shop. And steer clear of Court of Two Sisters.