First visit to LA - need your advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 11:19 PM
Jamie C.

Hello everyone,

I am getting married on June 23, and want to do something special for my new husband. He's always been a huge Madonna fan, so I'm surprising him with a weekend in LA to see Madonna's concert at the Staples Center on September 14th. We'll probably make it a long weekend, and go Thursday night through Sunday night. It's all going to be a surprise to him -- so I have to make these decisions on my own, which means I need your help! We're flying down from Seattle, and are not familiar with LA at all.

1. Any suggestions on the best place to stay? I'm looking for something that's middle of the road -- not too expensive, but not "scuzzy" either.

2. Should we rent a car? Or just do shuttles/cabs? Is there an appropriate place to stay where we could just do alot of walking around type sightseeing?

3. The concert is on a Friday night, so between Thursday night and Saturday day/night, I'd also like to see some other things such as Beverly Hills/Hollywood, and perhaps even take him out to Magic Mountain. Any other suggestions or ideas?

I'm so excited to surprise him with this, but I feel kind of lost! Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help.

Jamie

Old May 24th, 2001, 03:31 AM
Paul Rabe

Los Angeles is the world's most spread out city, with no center area where you can see a lot with just walking. And its mass transit is not very useful. Thus, you will probably need a car, unless you want to spend all day at one site (Magic Mountain, for instance). The only two places for wandering are the Olvera Street / Union Station area and Hollywood. Both places have their seedy and run-down "sites", and neither will give you more than a few hours of walking.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:58 AM
L

You MUST rent a car!!!!! While there, see the Getty Center (get a reservation for M-F, and avoid the weekends at all cost). Drive the Pacific Coast Hwy. west to see Malibu. Visit Topanga Camyon and Drive Sunset Blvd. At all costs, avoid the Border Grill restaurants ... they are highly rated dirty DUMPS!!! Venice Beach is fun but sleazy. Enjoy LA. But get that car!!!! You are going to be in LA .... that equals car and a good road map. But the layout is rather easy and simple. Spend your time in the western part of LA. Ciao.

Old May 24th, 2001, 05:26 AM
tom o

It depends, of course, to some degree what you like----you will need a car---most people do like west la better than central/east la---things most people like to see are beverly hills (rodeo drive, beverly hills hotel, etc.), westwood and ucla, santa monica pier, third st. promenade (in santa monica) , venice beach, malibu --if you like museums, there are a number of interesting ones, with the getty at the top of the list--three are cheaper hotels in a number of areas--it depends where you want to be ---for example. there are some "motelish" ones in malibu, but malibu is a bit out of the way

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Sandra

Jamie,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I just spent 7 days in the LA area. 3 Days in LA and 4 days North near San Luis Obispo.

I also would recommend renting a car and can't comment on hotels since we stayed in Sherman Oaks to be near my son. I don't know where the Staples Center is but you might want to stay near that since the concert is your main reason to come. I can warn you that traffic is usually very heavy at all times of the day. My son was guiding us and helped us to avoid some of the freeways by using alternate routes when we ran into slow downs. It was great having him with us.

I would also recommend the Getty Center museum if you have a nice day. The views and gardens are fantastic. If you go on the weekends you do not need reservations. We went on a Sat. arriving around 11:00 a.m. - you park in the parking garage ($5.00) and then take a tram up the hill to the Museum. The museum is free, with lots of beautiful art but we were more interested in the views, gardens and architecture. We joined a 1 hour free architecture tour which was interesting and informative. There are restaurants and coffee shops and lots of places to just sit and hang out. One thing I love about Calif. is all the "outside" living. Coming from New Eng. I just love all the outdoor cafes and restaurants.

Not knowing your interests - if you like biking, I can recommend LA Bike tours. We took the Esential Hollywood bike tour which was for 2 1/2 hr. and cost $29.50 each. This was a guided tour of the hidden Hollywood led by Michelle an aspiring actress (of course) included tidbits and hollywood stuff that we never would of seen. Price includes bike, helmet, water, snacks and guide. A good deal. The website is labiketours.com (I think) The office is right off the Hollywood sidewalk that has all the stars on it and near Grauman's Chinese Theater with the hand prints of all the stars so you can see all that touristy stuff at the same time.

I hope you have a nice visit.
Sandra

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:22 AM
L

Lets claridy about Getty: Actually, you do want a reservation, so you do want to go M-F. This gets you in when you want to get in. If you go without a reservation (that is, on a weekend), you have to WAIT in traffic until there's an opening in the parking lot. They control the number of people coming in. Recently, someone I spoke with waited two hours. With a reservation, you do NOT wait even one minute. If you want to gamble on traffic, then go on a weekend. By the way, after you park, you take the tram to the top ... you cannot drive a car up there. Everyone pays $5, regardless of when you go. That's to park ... entry is free. Have a good time.

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Thyra

Hi Jamie, Congrats on your upcoming wedding. First of all Paul, when was the last time you were in Hollywood??? The area is really booming, the revamped Hollywood Roosevelt hotel, and the enormous new Academy Awards center (next to Mann's Chinese) that is a replication of the original silent movie Babylon set of DW Giffiths (Set to open this fall) the sparking El Capitan theatre, walk of fame, Micheli's (best italian food, great family atmosphere) on Las Palmas, and the newly (April) reopened and very posh/tendy Pig and whistle (Hollywood Blvd).. once a hang out of Gary Cooper and Shirley temple...make Hollywood a terrific place to stay. I would further suggest Hollywood since it is a central stop on the new Metro Redline, which for a whoppin $2.70 per person you can get RT tickets to Universal city/studios or to downtown. The new Metro is clean efficient and easy to use.
With all due respect to Paul... I don't know when he was in Hollywood last, but the 1980's are gone. Hollywood is hip again!

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:44 AM
michele

Jamie,
I second Thyra's description of Hollywood. I would like to add: Musso and Frank's (oldest restaurant in Hollywood, great bar), the Cinegrill cabaret at the Roosevelt Hotel (you might consider staying there-very atmospheric, good location), and , if you can get a seat with a view, Yamashiro's for a cocktail in the Hollywood Hills.

If you interested in architecture, downtown LA has some fascinating buildings from the Bradley Building (used in Blade Runner) to the Biltmore Hotel (grand turn-of-the century feel, to Union Station (art deco, great tiles good restaurant:Traxx). The LA Conservancy conducts walking tours of various parts of downtown. I think they are every weekend. Call if you're interested. There's a lot to see and do in LA; but it is spread out.

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Dave

Congrats. Just a few suggestions. Chateau Marmount on Sunset is cool. Old 20's. All the rooms are different. A favorite with a lot of New York arts and lit crowd. (Of course, the Hollywood Roosevelt and the Biltmore are great also.)

I won't rehash guide books, but I love lunch at the Farmer's Market - Third and Fairfax. Also, its in a cool area - hip Melrose, blended with ethnic Fairfax, spiced with lunch and coffee drop-ins from the studio next door. Not to mention a slew of people from everywhere. I always take guests there.

Griffith park is also fun, go up to the observatory (wave down to me, I live a little down hill)

Feel free to write if you want other ideas.

Dave

Old May 24th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Susan

One more piece of advice about the Getty (and congratulations! Your fiance is lucky to be getting you!) Many hotels offer a free shuttle bus to the Getty. Ask when you call for rates. I stayed at a Double Tree near the U.

This free shuttle gets you into the museum free of charge, since the $5 is for parking only, and without a reservation or wait. I am very much a non-museum type -- I can usually think of dozens of things I'd put on my must see list before a museum, but the Getty is the exception. Killer views and interesting art to boot!

Enjoy the concert and the trip.

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Kathy

Hi Jamie, I am a frequent visitor to LA . Here are a couple of my favorite places. The Beverly Center is great for shopping and there are wonderful resturants all around. I esp. like Today, it's a shushi buffet all you can eat for around $10 at lunch and $20 at dinner. Other fun places to eat Chin Chin on Sunset in West Hollywood, Johnny
Rocket's on Melrose and Gaucho Grill on Sunset. These places are also great spots to see stars. Universal Studio is always a fun way to pass a day. Try to catch a film at the Mann's Chinese in Hollywood. Pink's is great for Hot Dogs. I do have to admit if I only had one place to go in LA it would be the Getty. The art collection is so-so compared to some of the bigger museums,i.e. the Met but the buildings and the views are wonderful. Have fun, I always do in LA kathy

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Thyra

Frankly though the Getty is spectacular in terms of architecture and setting. The collection can't hold a candle to the Norton Simon in Pasadena! One of the best impressionist collections anywhere. FYI if you ever watch the Rose Bowls chances are you've seen the Norton Simon with a pink rose on the side of it. From the outside it's pretty blah... oh but the paintings!

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:40 PM
kam

There's no place to stay/walk near the Staples Center except "downtown" which is all business hotels and deserted at night, so IMO you're going to need a car. Many people stay in Pasadena (at the Huntington Ritz Carlton--lovely with pool and gardens--or over in Santa Monica. I guess I remember Hollywood as being pretty seedy, but I was last in Hollywood 6 years ago so maybe it's booming as Thyra says. I think Santa Monica is the best walking area, small restaurants, close enough to the Getty. I agree with Norton Simon recommendation in Pasadena and you could combine that with the Huntington Library and Gardens which is where the "Blue Boy" and "Pinkie" are. Old Town Pasadena also provides walking, but it's pretty much upscale Banana Republic and Crate and Barrel now. It's a pretty quick ride down the Pasadena Fwy to Staples. I would certainly forget about Magic Mountain--too far, too hot, too crowded and just another amusement park. If you love amusement parks, how about Raging Waters in San Dimas or the new Disney California (that would be a full day) Universal Studios is another nice place for your first visit. I think you would enjoy the Venice Beach boardwalk on a weekend as well. You can walk from Sta. Monica. Farmer's Market is always good. For visitor convenience, LA is the exact opposite of Seattle! Rent the car!

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:51 PM
seamus

Car needed. Channel Road Inn in Santa Monica would be a very romantic small place for a young couple. Each room is different. If you call right now, they should have one mid priced. Complimentary breakfasts and bicycle loan.(310) 459-1920. Or, does anyone have a recent report on the old art deco Shangri La? Madonna once stayed there but don't know the rates.

Old May 25th, 2001, 03:59 PM
ML

Dear Jamie
We live in the LA metro area and we host a serious number of visitors, so I think I can understand what it's like to visit.

I would recommend Santa Monica as a place to stay and a fun place to relax in. It's an antitode for people who find the city's size and sprawl daunting, but at the same time it provides a base for exploring the city since it's relatively close to some of the main tourist and cultural institutions (eg. Getty 20 mins by car, Beverly Hills, 20 mins etc). It is on the beach and beautiful, plus, it is walk-able and there are many great restaurants, shops etc etc in the montana ave, third street and main street areas. You definitely need a car to get anywhere else in LA. Don't be daunted by it, it's not that difficult -- everything is well sign-posted and Los Angelenos give great directions! From Santa Monica you can explore lots of other places.

Downtown is not a good place to stay unless you are on business, there's not much to do there.

In my opinion, having looked at many guides, the best guide to LA is published by the London based Time Out publishing (available borders and barnes and noble here) and the newest edition just came out and it is very good -- they have some excellent hotel suggestions.

have fun, it's a great city
ML

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Jamie

Just a quick thank you to all who have responded to my question so far. I'm getting some excellent suggestions! Thank you so much~

Jamie

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 03:33 PM
Maureen

Jamie,

What a great time you will have and how thrilled your husband will be that you surprised him with this...

I live in Beverly Hills and know that visit to LA can be a bit overwhelming because there are so many areas and each has its own personality. I would strongly recommend that you stay in Santa Monica. The area has gone through a revival and is really nice. Lots of good restaurants and shops and safe and nice to walk around. Easy freeway access as well.

I would skip Magic Mountain - it is quite a distance from LA and traffic getting there can be quite a bear. Also, something like that would eat up an entire day...

As for the person that suggested Hollywood, I haven't been there in awhile but I hear that it is really nice now. That would be a great central location in which to stay.

I would strongly suggest a visit to the Getty as well. It is soo inexpensive but such a pretty place to visit. There are great views and a nice way to see a panorama of LA.

As for the car, no question about it. You will most definitely need one. If you were only staying in Hollywood and going downtown for the concert, you could get around not having one. But since you are wanting to explore a car is necessary.

Have a great trip...

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 03:59 PM
CA Native

Jamie:

There have been several good threads on LA in thepast as well. If you want some offbeat suggestions, there was a thread a few months ago called "CA fun for NY'ers" you can enter in the search box and might get some info from. IMO you are getting some good advice on this thread from knowledgeable posters. I also second Musso & Frank for an interesting experience. Have fun.

CA N

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:55 AM
breezit

If you are leery of driving, you may want to consider staying in Downtown LA (where Staples is located). There are several intermediate priced hotels in the area that are just a few blocks away from Staples Center (such as the Hotel Figueroa). Downtown LA also has a subway that will take you directly to Hollywood Blvd. (where you can walk and sightsee) and very close to Universal City Studios Tour (where you can walk and sightsee). CityWalk at the Universal Tour is a fun place to walk around.

Downtown LA is a pretty dead place at night/weekends (largely empty), and is not particularly close to the beaches and the fashionable Westside. However, some people get really pscyhed about driving on the LA freeways, which can be very stressful for a newcomer. So if you don't want a car, I suggest staying Downtown.