First Trip to Wine Country, Where to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’re looking at a 3 night visit to CA wine country and are trying to decide where to base ourselves. Considering either the town of Napa or St. Helena.

St. Helena seems to have some great restaurants and is a bit closer to Healdsburg where we would explore one day. Hotel choices look a bit better in Napa though.

i guess we’re looking for convenience, a good location with a nice selection of accommodations and restaurants. We would probably do one vineyard tour but are not wine connoisseurs by any means, like sniff the bottle cap lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 08:22 PM

You will not be in the middle of the wine country in Napa. You won't encounter vineyards as you go & come from your day trips. Plus, it is a long drive from Napa to Calistoga (farthest north wine village). St Helena is much more centrally located.

Many Bay Area locals prefer the Sonoma/Healdsburg area over the more commercial/touristy Napa Valley - although Healdsburg is catching up. We like the Madrona Manor just outside of Healdsburg on West Dry Creek Valley Rd.
https://www.madronamanor.com/

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice Stu, will look into St. Helena accommodations. Lots of good looking restaurants there, Gillwoods, Gott’s, Cook’s, the CIA restaurant and Goose & Gander.

We’ll actually be on the Central coast for several weeks and decided to take a few days for an easy road trip to break up our stay. This will be a good chance for us to visit wine country, something we always intended to do but never actually got around to.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM

If you'll be on the Central Coast for several weeks, you should check out Paso Robles wine country. Hundreds of excellent wineries.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where on the Central Coast? There are vineyards and wineries all over California. Paso Robles, Edna Valley, Santa Ynez Valley are worth checking out on the Central Coast.

Napa is fine to stay in but it’s a bigger town, has more lodging options, just not a village like Yountville, St Helena or Calistoga. Idk what Stu means that Napa is not in wine country. It is.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:59 AM

What time of year? You don't need to leave the central coast (or travel very far from the coast) to visit wine country.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 09:06 AM

I said >>> You won't encounter vineyards as you go & come from your day trips.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all your input and suggestions. I’m well aware of the wineries around the central coast. Napa is a more destination specific road trip than anything else for us as we have the time to do it. As I mentioned we’d probably see one winery while there.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:35 PM

You said you wanted to check out Healdsburg as a day trip. Head north from St. Helena and Calistoga into the Alexander Valley and loop down to Healdsburg and the Dry Creek Valley. Return to Napa Valley on Mark West Springs Road.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 06:21 PM

Book WAAAY ahead; we often visit our son who lives in Napa, and places fill so quickly. The drive Michelle is describing is a lovely one.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

We have, trip planner that I am. Staying at the Southbridge in St. Helena, looks like we can walk to many restaurants and shops there. And that drive you describe looks great Michelle, thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 02:51 PM

We went to Tra Vigne (looks like you’ll be right next to it) for a rehearsal dinner several years ago - what a lovely location, and great food. My favorite home goods store, Napa Valley Vintage Home, is a few blocks away. We always go with our family to Don Giovanni, just down the road, for lunch. of course, there are a plethora of places to eat in the valleys, both Sonoma and Napa.
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 06:15 AM

I don’t think Tra Vigne exists anymore (the building does, but it’s a different restaurant now, I think).
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 08:50 AM

I think sf7307 is right; Tra Vigne is no longer, at least not a Michael Chiarello restaurant. We have always enjoyed Bistro Don Giovanni. Good food, reasonably priced, easier to get a reservation.