Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First trip to NYC in July - which Broadway show for 9 &16 yr olds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 12:27 AM
alma

We'll be in NYC for 4 nights in July with 9 & 16 yr old kids. It's our first trip there - what shows would you recommend? Also, any ideas on how to keep cool?

Thank you for your help!

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Bernard

Disney's "The Lion King" and "Cats" are a must see for kids. Getting tickets to the Lion King is very difficult. Tickets for Cats are readily available. Your sixteen yr. old will love the music of "Rent" but I'm not sure of the 9 y/o.The only way to keep cool in NYC during the hot summer months is to get out to the beaches. Alternatively, try the 2.5 hr. narrated boat cruise around Manhattan, fun and refreshing.Top of the Empire State Bldg. always has a great breeze and the sights are fantastic. Tour the NBC studios (Air Conditioned.)Try to avoid walking the streets, it can be very hot.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 06:12 AM
howard

Shows for kids: "Cats," "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown," "Footloose," "Beauty and the Beast," "Peter Pan" (though your teenager might be too old that one) and "The Sound of Music."
Tickets for most of the above are usually available at TKTS, the half-priced ticket booth in Times Square, which sells same-day tickets. It's worth the wait in line. Forget about "The Lion King." It's sold out. If you have any questions, email me directly.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 07:07 AM
lisa

Lion King is better than all the rest of the shows put together (I have seen all the shows mentioned above except the new revival of "Charlie Brown,") and it is POSSIBLE to get tickets if you are really committed. Some people may think this is crazy, but here's what I did. Last summer everyone said it was impossible to get tickets for it. Not so! Check the newspaper for the schedule and figure out when you want to go. Last summer they had matinees on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I had heard that matinees are easier to get tickets for than evening shows, and I thought Wednesday would be easier than Saturday, so when I arrived in NYC at 8 am Wednesday morning I immediately went straight to the theater and got in line for standby tickets. (The theater reserves a certain number of tickets for VIPs at each show, and if they don't show up, they make the tickets available on a standby basis just before the show.) When I got to the theater around 8:30 am I was about 7th in line. Yes, it meant I had to wait in line from 8:30 am until just before the show started at 2pm, but I did get in (in fact, almost 20 people got standby tickets that day). It was by far the best show I've ever seen and it's PERFECT for every age group. I would highly recommend doing this if you can. This show is absolutely incredible; a once in a lifetime experience. The set, the costumes, the music, the dance are all uniquely imaginative and it's the kind of thing you'll be remembering and talking about for the rest of your life. Only one of you needs to stand in line all that time. I just brought a good book and some food and water. I made some friends in line too; people were very nice about saving places for others while they went to get food or find a bathroom or whatever. Also, the 4-5 people at the very beginning of the line got their tickets pretty early and didn't have to wait all morning.
"Rent" is very good (particularly the music) but in my opinion it's really for adults, definitely not your 9 year old (the story deals with drugs, AIDS -- adult themes in my opinion).
Don't forget about the half-price TKTS booth in Times Square and in the World Trade Center; they sell same-day tickets to most of the shows and it is well worth it (they only take cash though).

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 09:59 AM
Rosemary

I don't know if it's still running, but my kids loved "Bring in da Noise, Bring in da Funk," and they learned something without even realizing it.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 06:06 PM
Beverly

Stay cool by staying inside. You can visit the World Trade Center which has a fantastic view of the city and easy inside walk to World Financial Center. Sony theatres around 67th St has 3D movies during the week. NBC Studios is also inside. You can also take a NYC nature break and have a picnic under a shady tree in Central Park for people watching. I would also recommend these shows for the kids: Stomp for new wave percussion, Blue Man Group: Tubes a very funny perspective on modern art, and Tony N' Tina's Wedding with audience interaction. Try to get tickets ahead of time. Have a great time and welcome to NYC!

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 06:05 AM
TC

Just back from NY. Saw 7 plays in 4 days. If you don't already have tickets for Lion King, I wouldn't waste an entire day standing in line. Yes, its marvelous, but so are many other sites in NY. See (#1)"You're a Good Man Charlie Brown", great for kids AND adults (Tony award winner). (#4)"Beauty and the Beast" also entertained our adults as well as teens. I would highly recommend (#3)"Civil War", great contemporary (country western/pop)style music and fight scenes that are exquisitely choreographed - not to mention a bit of history and (#2)"Annie Get Your Gun" with Bernadette Peters and Tom Wopat. Do not recommend "Rent" for younger set. Try "Blue Men, Tubes" off-broadway for a treat or "Stomp" if you haven't seen it yet. Agree with "Noise & Funk" recommendation but that show has closed. "Ain't Nothing But the Blues" at Lincoln Center was also wonderful - a history of blues music in song. Haven't seen "Footloose", but reviews from friends suggest it might fit your needs also. Hope this helps. Have fun. Send me an email if you have more questions.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 04:20 PM
Beverly

FYI - I just heard today that "Civil War" and "Charlie Brown" are closing this weekend.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 09:02 AM
Cheryl

For shows I would suggest Cats, Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, Annie Get Your Gun, Peter Pan, maybe Miss Saigon, Footloose, maybe Chicago. As far as staying cool goes, everything is air conditioned.