Reload this Page >

First trip to New England-late Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Lance

We will be staying in Manchester,NH 7 days.
Any ideas for maximizing our limited time?
We enjoy architecture, museums, shopping and
the ocean. Please help! We want to see it all!!!!! Thanks!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Donna F

Manchester is slowing getting fixed up as you will see in the mill section along Canal Street. The Manchester Union Leader lists events in the Thursday and Sunday edition. You might find an on-line listing (www.unionleader.com). There is a house designed by Wright that is open to the public. The Currier Gallery is small, but nice. The ocean is less than an hour away via Rt 101. Visiting Portsmouth on the coast is a must. From there, drive thru Newcastle where there are lots of very old homes and you will go by what remains of the once glorious Wentworth by the Sea hotel. Fabulous homes along the coast in Rye are worth a drive by. You will enjoy a visit to Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth. I would also include a visit to Canterbury Shaker Village just north of Concord. Excellent tour about a very unusual religious sect that has died out. Beautiful buildings and area. See their website. I haven't shopped Elm St in Manchester for years but Concord's Main Street has some wonderful small shops for unique gifts and don't miss the Museum of NH History tucked in Eagle Square. Great little museum shop even if you don't go into the museum itself. League of NH Craftsmen has high end handmade arts and crafts. Concord has a very nice downtown area surrounding the state capitol. I've heard great reports about the Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner NH but haven't been there. Have a great visit!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Beth

Hi Lance!
Donna said it all! I'll add my two-cents worth.
The Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner is an excellent addition.
Outlet shopping abounds in Kittery, Maine, Laconia, NH, and No. Conway, NH. (No sales tax in NH) Unique gift shops are in Concord, NH and the coastal towns such as Kennebunkport and Ogunquit in Maine. Lots of antiquing along Route 1 in Maine.
I highly recommend Ogunquit, as the Marginal Way is a pleasant hike along the ocean from "downtown" to Perkins Cove. There's lots of shopping and restaurants out there. Lunch at the OarWeed would be my recommendation.
I, too, think you'd enjoy the Canterbury Shaker Village, and also St. Gaudens in Cornish, NH (which could be combined with the Indian Museum day). But check the times of operation, as many close after foliage season. The Currier is certainly worth a visit.
If you want to venture out one day to the Massachusetts Northshore, I recommend the 1.5 hour trip to Gloucester, followed by an afternoon & evening in Salem. Take in the House of Seven Gables, the Witch Museum (not Witch House), and if time allows the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem. (I'd plan this for a week DAY, as the weekends in October in Salem are nuts! The Must-See in Gloucester is the Hammond Castle Museum.
For fine dining in Manchester: Baldwins on Elm, Richard's Bistro, and Cotton.
Hope you enjoy your week in our neck of the woods!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:19 AM
anan

Richard's Bistro is one of our favorites too; it's on Lowell Street in Manchester; have heard good things about Cotton but haven't been yet. You might try the Bedford Village Inn too; it is a spectacular place to see! The food is good, not great. You'll recognize it as being the place everyone broadcasts from during the NH primary.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Curious

Are you restricted to staying in Manchester? You may enjoy another location more unless Manchester needs to be your home base.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Lance

Thanks everyone for your help!! I know
we will have a great time. We have a pretty good itinerary planned out now-thanks to your help. What kind of weather can we expect last week of Oct.?
Thanks again!!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Donna F

I hate to say it but it can be glorious and sunny, need a light jacket or it could rain all week. It's seems to rain around Halloween every year. Pack a raincoat or umbrella. If you decide to take a boat ride out of Portsmouth, you will probably need a heavier coat unless you are just taking a harbor/river cruise. Peak foliage is around Oct 12. There may be some leaves still on the trees. It's been a dry summer and some trees are starting to turn already. But, all the shops will be geared up for fall and holiday shopping so you should have a great selection. And if it's chilly, a visit to a nice coffee shop will be most enjoyable.