Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First trip to NE Oct 2-16 ...What route would you suggest for the most scenic drive from Stockbridge MA to Newport RI??

Search

First trip to NE Oct 2-16 ...What route would you suggest for the most scenic drive from Stockbridge MA to Newport RI??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Toni

We will be staying in Stockbridge MA for 2 nights before heading on to Newport RI. What would you suggest as the most scenic route to take. Should we head all the way south and take 95 across (is there an ocean view on that route) or is there another way that you love? And could you suggest a nice plan to stop for lunch in the middle of the journey. I am having the best time planning this trip! They say vacations are 85% anticipation and 15% recollection...I've been anticipating since Feb! Thanks to all for your great input!

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 07:40 PM
Charles

95 may be slightly more scenic, but is hours out of your way. (well, depending on which cut over you take). And the roasd itself is not scenic - its the things off it. Hmmm. I think take the mass pike east to ?395? (goes down to New London) stopping off the Mass pike at Sturbridge village. From New London take the coast route to Newport - good stops are Mystic, Stonington, and Watch hill. It will be a solid days drive if you do it leisurely. Best time possible is probably 3-4 hours.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 02:22 PM
larry

Any other suggestions please?

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 03:53 AM
Larry

I think Charles' route is good, but personally I wouldn't bother with a "coast route" (it's not like California with those sweeping viwes of the ocean). I'd go down 395 in Conn to 95 N, stop at Mystic for lunch, then back on 95 to the Newport exit and follow the signs from there. This section of 95 is really rather pleasant. Going north via any coastal route really isn't any more scenic, just slower, and I'd only do it if you want to make frequent stops to explore. But my guess is that, after lunch and maybe some looking around in Mystic, you'll just want to get to Newport and start enjoying that great town.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Toni

Thanks Charles and Larry...I'll follow your suggestions.