Reload this Page >

First Trip To Hawaii

Search

First Trip To Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:07 PM
mt

First Trip To Hawaii

Hi, it's me again. I'm planning my first vacation to Hawaii next year. I've never been there before but it's always been my dream to go and I'm finally going to do it!
So I need to know a few things:
1. What island should I visit? Again, it's my first visit.
2. Which hotels/motels/inns should I check out/avoid?
3. When's the best time to travel to Hawaii?
4. Where's the best place to sightsee?
Thanks!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Susan

1. Depends on what interests you and your budget. Kauai is lush, green, peaceful . . . I love the Princeville resort in Hanalei. The whole "South Pacific" thing. Maui has a great variety and might be a good choice for a first visit. There's Hana (very lush, peaceful, beautiful pools). Also great restaurants, Haleakala crater, art galleries, opportunity for whale watching during winter. Oahu has Kailua & Lanikai beach--one of the best beaches in the world, but might be disappointing because it is crowded--busy city with lots of traffic. The Big Island is great to see the volcano, but Kona is too touristy for me and Hilo has no decent beaches. Sorry this is so incoherent. Lanai is my favorite island but expensive.
2. We need more information about your budget and likes/dislikes to recommend hotels.
3. I enjoy the weather during May, June, July. Gets totally dark in the summer around 7:30 PM; otherwise, in the winter it gets dark around 5:30 PM. Avoid hurricane season and winter (because the hotel rates are higher in the winter peak season and some hotels require a minumum stay of several days).
4. Best place to sightsee? Maui and Kauai has tons of places. Big Island: the volcano of course. Oahu: Bishop Museum is fascinating. Pali lookout, Tantalus has great city view especially at night, Lanikai beach is gorgeous.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Cindy

I agree that it depends on what your interests are and what you like to do, and certainly what you expect from Hawaii. I love the Big Island dearly, but it isn't, in general, lush and tropical like some of the other islands. I also don't personally enjoy resorts. I've stayed on the BI for several weeks at a time at a B&B, and I don't agree that Kona is too touristy. Kailua, the largest of the towns in Kona, is very touristy, that's true, but there are lots of small villages on the highway south of Kona that aren't touristy at all. There are wonderful things to see there (an active volcano, the summit of Mauna Kea, etc.) but fewer things like sandy beaches. One thing you should know is that all coastline in Hawaii is public, so even the cultivated beaches at the resorts are open to the public if they're ocean beaches. (There's a fake beach at the Hilton that's private.) I haven't been to the other islands except briefly to Oahu, so I'm sure there are other people who could give you lots of advice about those areas, but post again if there's anything more I can tell you.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Nancy

We went to Maui last year for 10 days, was not enough time to do and see it all. It was the best vacation yet. We stayed in Kaanapali, West Maui which is what I would suggest. I suggest to get a condo, for convenience and $$ sake it's a good idea to have some meals where you stay. There are not many breakfast places. You cant go wrong if you stay in Kapaluha, Kaanapali, Honoapaali, Napli, Kahana. All are within close proximity such as the town of Lahaina, great beaches, scenic drives, restarants, water sports. They are other towns which are within 1 to 3 miles of eachother. Next time we go we will save about $70.00 a day and stay a few miles north of Kaanapali in one of areas mentioned above. You can get a nice condo for about $100 to 120 a night. Kaanapali was the perfect locale on the beach, you could walk to restaraunts, clubs and shops, depends on what you want and your price range. There are many swimming, snorkeling, picnic spots that you can pull over to. We did the sunrise bike ride (a must), Hana,town of Paia, snorkel trips. Every where you drive is scenic. They do have day trips to Pearl Harbor and the other islands. We cant wait to go back. Tons of Maui websites. I dont have the bookmarks to the sites I went to. Use "Maui condos" as your search. Good luck !!!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Linda

We too had the same questions trying to plan our first Hawaiian vacation last year.
(1) set your budget. It will "focus" your planning re: what island(s) you can visit; also resorts vs. motels vs. b&bs vs. condos vs. cottage/house rentals; also restaurant meals vs. your own kitchen. (We had the vacation of our lives on $4000.00 - I know now I could have a great time for $3000.00 - and others may need more to have the perfect vacation.....)
(2) buy a good guidebook. I used "Frommer's Hawaii 2001" as my main resource in the initial planning stages. It gives a good overview of the different islands, what to expect depending on what kind of vacation experience you're looking for.....it was invaluable.
(3) take the time to really think about (and write down) what kind of Hawaiian vacation you're wanting. Active, or sedentary? Shopping, or snorkeling? Lush green surroundings, or something else? Town, or rural? What activities might you want to do? What sort of "ambiance" do you want for your lodgings? Would rain ruin your day? This all makes a difference on what part of what island(s) you'll decide to base yourself. Then your guidebook will help you narrow it down.
(4) Stay tuned to this forum. It was also invaluable in helping me plan what was for us the perfect Hawaiian vacation. Hope this helps.....

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 07:22 PM
my

Thanks for all the advice. I still have no idea which island I want to visit and when.
Well, I do love sightseeing & tourist attractions...I'm really into history. I'm not one for laying on the beach. I'm not much of a party person either. I don't do much clubbing but I love to go to shows in the evening.
My vacation will be of modest budget so I can stay somewhere nice but not overly pricey.
Are there any websites or brochures I can research such things?
Thanks!