Reload this Page >

FIRST TRIP TO CHARLESTON

Search

FIRST TRIP TO CHARLESTON

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:00 AM
Kelly

FIRST TRIP TO CHARLESTON

Can anyone give us any good pointers on where to stay, eat, shop, hang out and tour in Charleston, South Carolina? It is our first trip. Thanks.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:35 AM
elaine

Kelly,

I wrote a detailed trip report on Fodors (scroll back to 6/3) "Just Returned from Charleston". There are many good posts. Just click on South Carolina to do a search.
There is wonderful information from Fodors posters, as well as internet information.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:48 AM
dan woodlief

I wrote a travelogue on a trip to Charleston from 1999. It is on my web site at sites.netscape.net/tarbadger. Please be patient with the loadtime for the homepage. I am currently moving it to oneeyed.homestead.com, which is quite fast. Charleston should be on by the end of the weekend. I also posted a few times on this subject before. Sorry not to repost in response, but my travelogue is probably going to be more helpful.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 11:28 AM
Carol

Check out the following site for an up-to-the minute calendar of entertainment / restaurant overviews for Charleston. This is the site of our local newspaper, The Post & Courier. Every Thurs. the Preview section is refreshed with upcoming events.

http://www.charleston.net/entertain/.../calendar.html

Also, at the top of the window click on either Tips for Tourists or Visitor Info.

Hope you'll love Charleston as much as we do!

Carol

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 12:18 PM
lisa

Hi Kelly.
I too wrote a trip report on Charleston back in December or January if you do a search. We stayed at the HarbourView Inn and really loved it. It is a pretty new hotel with all the modern conveniences and amenities, but with water views, very reasonable rates, and a fantastic location in the historic district, walking distance to everything. I highly recommend it. Also, take one of the horse-drawn carriage tours of the city that leaves from the Market. They are worth the money -- you will learn a lot about the city's history, architecture, etc. and it really makes the place come alive. Make sure you try some lowcountry delicacies like she-crab soup, shrimp-n-grits, etc. Poogan's Porch is pretty good and I used to love 82 Queen but the last time I was at the latter it had either gone downhill or was having an off-night. Shopping in Charleston is great -- there are lots of galleries, antique stores, etc. all over the historic district (bring lots of $$$ though). Good luck and have a great time.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 02:51 PM
sally

there was recently another post about charleston that had some good info. stay in the historic area. great walking around areas, great shopping, great restaurants, just a lovely area. last time i was there i stayed at the meeting street inn. it was wonderful. centrally located. had wine and hordeuvres in the lobby in the afternoon and a very good breakfast buffett in the morning. go to middleton plantation and magnolia plantation. magnolia plantation has a swamp garden that i thought was great!!!

you will love charleston.

there is several good websites about charleston. can't remember the addresses but if you do an internet search you will find them i'm sure.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 03:31 PM
ellen griswold

Hi Lisa ~ So glad to hear Poogan's Porch is still a winner! We first ate there on our honeymoon and it's still one of Clark's (dh's) favorites.

They were also very gracious in giving me two of their recipes ~ one for a potato dish that I still make.

Hope you have a great trip, Kelly!