Search

First timer to Maui...need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2013, 02:41 AM
dkw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timer to Maui...need some assistance

I have been tasked with putting together a trip for 10-12 friends, ages 30ish to 50ish in Hawaii for 10 days to 2 weeks in May of 2014. The idea is to meet 1/2 way between Australia where most of the group lives, and the US where we live.

Its a very active group, interested in beach activities, biking, hiking etc... and have decided that Maui is probably a good fit, although we are open to suggestions and ideas.

We are looking to rent a large home that will accommodate the group. This is where I've become overwhelmed with the choices!! I haven't really been able to determine what area of the island would be best to start our search. This is where I could used some guidance! I was leaning towards West Maui, but probably because it seems popular and is mentioned frequently. I've looked at several guidebooks and have just gotten more confused!! Are there other areas on Maui we should be considering?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm sure this will be the first of many posts looking for guidance!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 03:15 AM

I will leave to others to answer about Maui in particular, but I have some reservations - no pun intended.

1. You haven't indicated how many bedrooms you would need - I'm guessing that only couples would want to share, not 2 singles. Also, the ideal situation is one where no more than 2 adults share one bathroom. The info you have given doesn't specify what permutations and combinations of bedrooms and bathrooms would suit.

2. The range of "10 to 12" is a little worrisome. Have you and your friends worked out a policy in the event that someone drops out after the reservation(s) is made?

3. Maybe such large houses are easy to find in Maui - but have you considered multiple smaller units but in the same complex? Hawaii lends itself to outdoor cooking, so the group could still gather outdoors for many meals, not to mention at restaurants - in other words, it may not be necessary to find a one-size-fits-all arrangement. Meanwhile the choices available if you stick to, say, four or five 2 bedroom units will go up, way up. It will also make it easier to downsize the accommodation should someone drop out.

4. Personally, this strikes me as an unwieldy size of group to try and coordinate for every activity. 6 is doable, 8 might be just possible, but 10 to 12 is a tour group, not a casual group. Restaurant reservations could be challenging. Also, no one person should be stuck putting this thing together, and no, distance is not an excuse for 'tasking' someone else with all of this responsibility. Think hard about this, it could be a lot of fun - or a busman's holiday...for you.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 03:19 AM

Ooops, that should have been, two or three 2 bedroom units - assuming this group is all couples. Math is a bit off this morning.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:18 AM

The other area of Maui you might consider is south, around Kihei or Wailea. But I think you might also consider the Kohala Coast of the Big Island.

I'd have some of the same reservations as Sue about planning for a group the size of yours. There are lots of options on either Maui or Hawaii where you could rent multiple 2 or 3-bedroom condos in the same complex, and probably for less than a house that could accommodate the entire group. In my experience, those houses typically go for several thousand per night.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM

I'd chose a condo complex and let everyone make their own choices and payments. And make arrangements for their own cars, too.

As above, how are you going to deal with it if two couples drop out at the last minute and someone still has to pay for the gigantic house?

Friends of mine liked Puamana condo complex just outside of Lahaina for their big family reunion.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM

You will like the west side better because it has more to offer in terms of restaurants, shopping, night life. The south side is quieter but the advantages are that the weather is always sunny and it has some great beaches.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a family wedding in Maui the bride rented a house near Hana with four bedrooms that held a larger crowd than you are describing.
The whole shebang then moved to Kihei where we booked our own condos near one another.
The only problems arose when visiting each other we discovered some of us had much better views.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 12:46 PM

I personally prefer the Kihei/Wailea area of Maui. The weather is almost always beautiful and you have easy access to plenty of beaches, shopping, and restaurants. I agree with pps- a few separate condos may be more manageable for such a large group, and there are plenty of condo options in south Maui. We've traveled to Maui with groups of 10-15 a few times and found the condo arranagements worked quite well (more kitchens, plenty of gathering spaces, the ability to break into smaller groups depending on interests, etc.). My family and I have stayed at the Maui Sunset in Kihei for almost 30 years and love it- it's not fancy, but well-kept and great for kids. Although, because each unit is individually owned, there's a bit of a range in whether the condos have been updated or not- some are recently renovated while others could use some freshening up. Feel free to ask if you'd like details.

It really depends on what kind of group you have- whether you prefer nightlife, quiet, hotel/resort or condos.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM

<You will like the west side better because it has more to offer in terms of restaurants, shopping, night life.>

offlady, how can you say what the OP will or won't like? Do you know her or him?
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Agree on the condos idea, though you may be able to find a house to rent, possibly in the Kihei area toward Wailea. There are a few suburban-type neighborhoods there that are no more than five minutes from the beach. If you want a little bit more activity, the Lahaina/West Maui area is a reasonable drive each evening. We have been to Maui four times, staying in the Kihei area, and often drove to "town" for dinner and street life in Lahaina. The beaches are very good in South Maui as well.
There is definitely more activity in West Maui, and the condo arrangements might work there as well. Beaches are also good there, though a little bit more crowded...
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM

West Maui is a lot more attractive than Kihei.