Reload this Page >

First Timer to Maui and Kauai Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2000, 09:49 AM
MICHIGAN GIRL

Only 4 nights in Maui and 3 nights in Kauai, 8 hours in Oahu prior to plane departure. Will have a rental car while there. Any suggestions for such a short period of time? Want to make the Very Best of our time avail.

Old May 1st, 2000, 04:49 PM
Paula

Hi
We just got back from Kauai and Maui. We stayed at the Sheraton on both Islands. They were both great. If you get a starwood memebership card you get 35%off rates. While on Maui do a road to Hana tour with Ekahi tour company. Only 9-12 people. It is a 10 hour tour and you go much further than you could with a rental car. Also you learn a lot more and don't have to keep your eyes totally on the road. They come get you at your hotel around 7:30 and you get back around 5:30. Definately worth it. They have a web site also.
On Kauai stay at Poipu beach. This is the sunny side of the island. The north shore is wonderful but a bit away from everything. We did a sunset champagne cruise up the Napali Coast with Holo Holo charters which was fabulous. Also have dinner one night at the Beach House restaurant. Ask for a sunset table (book several days ahead) and go 15-3- minutes before sunset. Wonderful food and great ambience and perfect service. They don't rush you through dinner either. We were there for 2 hours and never felt hurried.
On Oahu you could take a bus up to Diamond head and climb it for great views or go to the aquarium or Pearl Harbor. Also they have the submarine trips from the Hilton Hawaiin Village. We did one on Maui and it was quite fun.
Hope this helps.

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:15 PM
annemarie

Be sure to check out all previous discussions on these 2 islands because there ae a ton of them. You probably won't get a lot of response because people are temporarily frustrated with the goings-on lately. On Oahu I would look into the Sheraton Moana Surfrider, and for 1 day rent a car, drive around the island and stop at, first, Hanauma Bay and then continue your drive stopping as you wish. Maybe take the city bus to Pearl Harbour for another morning if you feel so inclined and enjoyed Waikiki beach a bit. On Maui, I would stay in Wailea and rent a car. ONe morning I would drive up to Haleakula, but plan it to be back to enjoy your property in the afternoon. Rent a car and do only a part of Hana Highway. Wouldn't go with a tour as you don't have that time to lose. Drive about half way and start out early in the morning to be back in your resort. Another day, just do nothing, or enjoy the pool in the morning and drive over to Lahaina for lunch. I don't know...does this help a bit?

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:17 PM
annemarie

Oh, sorry...I screwed up!! In Kauai!!Stay on north shore if in the summer and on south shore if in winter. Look into the Hyatt if the budget permits.

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:07 PM
Anna

We visited all of the places you mentioned in April.

To make the most of your time in Kauai, I would take an hour long helicopter ride. The helicopter will take you over the Napili Coast, many waterfalls, and Waimea Canyon. I think it would be smart to do the ride on your first day in Kauai, that way you'll get a feel for the island and where things are located. There is a nice beach at Ke'e Park on the north shore.

The beaches on Maui are great, Kapalua Bay was great for sunning and snorkeling. We also enjoyed Big Beach on the south shore, Kaanapali, and Napili Bay. We got up at 2:00 AM to drive up Haleakala for the sunrise. Personally, I could take or leave it - it was pretty but I wouldn't do it again. It was 38 degrees on April 19th at sunrise on the top of Haleakala, so if you plan to go make sure to bring something warm to wear (we're from WI and were cold). We drove the road to Hana, the black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park before you get to Hana is really cool. The sacred pools at the end are pretty, if the water isn't high you can swim in them. We took the "back" road on the return trip, it is the one they say not to drive your rental car on but it is fine.

Pearl Harbor is fairly close to the airport on Oahu. We got there at early (7:15AM) and were able to get on the first boat to the Arizona Memorial. A great beach for snorkeling and sunning is Hanauma Bay, beyond Diamond Head. When we flew out of Honolulu, I noticed that they have a day hotel in the airport where you can pay to shower if thats a concern (personally I wouldn't want to sit on a plane for 8 hours coming right from the beach!)

Have a great trip!

Old May 2nd, 2000, 05:03 AM
MICHIGAN GIRL

Thank you for your suggestions!
Keep them comming. The count down is 3 more days of work and 5 more days of Michigan.