First timer in San Francisco - Itinerary for 4 days/3 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2023, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're visiting San Francisco for the first time in late October and staying in Carmel for one night. We're not sure where else to go, but wondering if we should spend a night in Yosemite. Is it worth the extra drive and hassle for a couple with a baby in a stroller?

Last edited by starting; Sep 17th, 2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 09:49 AM

You only have three nights, one of which will be in Carmel, so you definitely don't have time for Yosemite too. If you're not interested in SF, spend more time in Carmel and explore the Big Sur area.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 10:38 AM

I would stay in SF and go over to Marin or down to Half moon bay or go over to Cavello Point if you want to leave city. For 3 nights just staying in SF and maybe taking a ferry ride one day plus Golden Gate Park plus Chinatown/Northbeach would fill up your time. I’m not a big Carmel person, actual town is pretty touristy and the best part is coastline. Just don’t think you have enough time for that. Especially with a baby!
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 11:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors,

OK -- 3 nights doesn't really net you 4 days - that would = about 2.5 days free for seeing and doing (maybe close to 3 days IF the flight out is in the evening)

So you barely have time for San Francisco OR the Monterey Peninsula (not both). Certainly not enough time for Yosemite. I'd maybe consider doing JUST the Monterey/Carmel area and forget about going into San Francisco. (Or doing JUST San Francisco and not heading south)
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 08:07 AM

I agree, not enough time to go to Yosemite. You can easily spend the time in San Francisco with a boat ride under the Golden Gate Bridge or even a tour of Alcatraz which I've never done. You can either ferry over to Sausalito and spend some time there, possibly for lunch. Back in San Francisco you can visit Golden Gate Park ad the Japanese Tea House as well as the DeYoung Museum. Even it not interested in visiting the Museum you can visit the adjacent tower for the views. You can visit SF Museum of Modern Art which has an outstanding collection.

If you do have a rental car you can drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and go to Muir Woods.

Half Moon Bay is very charming spot, very walkable. We spent two nights there pre-pandemic just to relaz following a wedding in Big Sur. If you stay in Carmel you can also do the 17 mile drive through Pebble Beach and visit the visitors center. You can go to Monterey which is very walkable and visit the aquarium.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 10:00 AM

Things to do include: (1) ride the cable cars and historic streetcars; (2) drive over famous Golden Gate Bridge; (3) explore the wonderful Golden Gate Park (including the Japanese Tea Garden); (4) check out Chinatown; (5) eat seafood at Fisherman’s Wharf; (6) see the fantastic view from Twin Peaks; and (7) explore the amazing artwork in the Palace of Fine Arts. Be prepared to see homeless everywhere.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 11:29 AM

The problem with touring around San Francisco by car is that it really isn't safe to leave a car parked anywhere. Just last Thursday in the parking lot at the GG Bridge toll plaza/overlook 4 cars were broken into and luggage, and other things stolen . . . in broad daylight, with lots of people around, with security cameras. BART is also a problem due to the homeless.

I personally think with the current conditions in SF, a family would do better visiting the Monterey Peninsula. The Aquarium, Point Lobos, the Mission, etc etc.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 03:02 PM

Like janisj, I’m a fan of the Monterey, PG, Carmel, Big Sur area. Plenty to keep you busy for a couple of days.

We were in SF for a one day layover and the Union Square area was really sad, many empty storefronts and the Westfield in disarray with closures. Not sure if IKEA will help with any kind of revival. Just wasn’t the same.

Last edited by curiousgeo; Sep 18th, 2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 03:19 PM

I’ve got friends and friends kids who live in SF and love it. Like all big US cities it has homeless and going to the tenderloin or parts of market downtown aren’t great, but Golden Gate Park, the marina, Pacific Heights, Noe Valley the ferry building (and taking the ferry to Marin) are all safe and fun to explore for a family. My kids and grandkids, who live about 25 minutes south go up to the zoo and exploratorium and my son works up there one day a week with stunning views of the bay and trans am building from his offices.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 05:34 PM

Nordstrom has left, Gumps is closing , every Walgreens in the city has closed - we are not talking the Tenderloin here. Sure -- the park is fun, the bridge is iconic, the Exploratorium and Academy of Science are wonderful. But first time visitors will not know which streets are safe, which neighborhoods are safe and which aren't (and unfortunately nasty stuff also happens in the 'safe' areas). And parking on the street or surface lots really isn't recommended anywhere.

https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-r...ects/13495859/
https://abc7news.com/bay-area-car-br...ideo/13696147/
https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco...ught-on-video/

And none of those are about the retail theft mobs

At the current time (and without rose colored glasses) I just believe visiting the Monterey area would be a better experience
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"every Walgreens in the city has closed"

That's patently untrue.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 07:56 PM

Again I was in SF a month ago and had a lovely dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant. We have good friends that live in the marina area and sail and bike ride and love living in the city. Numerous friends kids live there and some even have kids! Nordstrom and big retail is closing everywhere-not sure if that’s a good indication of where to visit. Anyway hope the op has a great trip and enjoys the Bay Area.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 05:29 AM

We are thinking of a trip to San Francisco so I am looking at this thread. And then I see it was noted that “every Walgreens has closed” I agree this is completely untrue.

always check your facts first. Especially do so if something sounds outrageous.
JM2C

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...er%20retailers.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 05:42 AM

So we are considering around three or four days in San Francisco. Maybe more, who knows. We like to be centrally, located, and within walking distance to shops and restaurants. What area would you recommend staying in for this purpose and if you could recommend hotels that would be great too. Thank you!

Larry
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 05:52 AM

I was wrong - Walgreens gas only closed eleven branches so far. More to follow as leases expire.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:13 AM
J62

Some of the above posts paint SF as a scene out of a Mad Max movie. While there are certainly parts of the town and times if day the average visitor might want to avoid, there are plenty of perfectly safe and very enjoyable places to explore for a few days or more.

You will come across some grit you might not see in Anytown USA, but that is no reason to stay away entirely.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by J62
Some of the above posts paint SF as a scene out of a Mad Max movie. While there are certainly parts of the town and times if day the average visitor might want to avoid, there are plenty of perfectly safe and very enjoyable places to explore for a few days or more.

You will come across some grit you might not see in Anytown USA, but that is no reason to stay away entirely.
Thank you. Every city has its problems. For example, we were recently in Vancouver. Now this is a beautiful city and a beautiful area with mountains in the background and a nice downtown. There are many good restaurants and shops. However, go into a certain area in Chinatown and you will see a scene that looks like it’s from night of the living dead. There are many drug addicts there. There are many drug addicts there and there. I won’t go into details, but suffice it to say they look pathetic.

That doesn’t mean you should avoid Vancouver but do be careful in certain areas.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:36 AM
J62

As for areas to stay…. I do several.

if im in town for business I’ll stay somewhere between Moscone Center, UnionSq, or Nob Hill.

Strictly for pleasure my go-to location is close to the Ferry Building.

I not stay near nor frequent the Pier 39 / Fishermans Wharf area. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:54 AM

This is an interesting piece hopefully it can be opened and read by non SF Chronicle readers. Basically the city is safer overall but increased drug issues make certain areas unsafe. The numbers are pretty similar to other big cities but as noted right wing media pushes the problems in a blue city in a blue state for their own political agenda.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...sfc_morningfix

We’ve stayed at the Fairmont on Nob Hill (fun to hangout in the Tonga room and walkable to Chinatown) The Laurel Inn in lower Pacific Heights, and an Airbnb in Noe Valley that’s probably to far away from the sights. Someone I follow on Instagram just stayed at the 1 Hotel (used to be hotel Vitale) with her parents and daughter and it looked lovely with amazing views over the bay and across the way from the ferry building.
https://www.1hotels.com/san-francisco

Last edited by macdogmom; Sep 19th, 2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
I was wrong - Walgreens gas only closed eleven branches so far. More to follow as leases expire.
Nordstroms has closed but Gumps is still open by the way.

Thank you for addressing this.

Larry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -