Reload this Page >

First time visit to Glacier National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Peggy

Hi, Going to Glacier this summer and need help. Does anyone have any lodging suggestions outside the park (I think it may be too late to get reservations inside). Also, would it be best to stay in one place for the entire week or split it up into two areas? Since we are flying in from the East Coast, air fares seem to be cheaper going into Spokane, WA. What kind of trip would it be getting to Glacier?
Thanks for any info.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Peggy, you raise the eternal and hard to answer question about Glacier: Where to stay if I don't stay in the park?
There is no good answer. Glacier is a large park with widely separated areas of high visitor interest. I think you need to realize that Glacier first and foremost is a hikers' park. You can see a few sights from the highway, but to really see Glacier, you must take to the trails.

That means that you want to find lodging near your primary area of interest. Unfortunately one of the most interesting areas for activity is Logan pass which is right in the middle.
The other area I like for seeing the attractions is Many Glacier, which is well away from good motels.

Let me give you a list of the places I have stayed.
1. The Aspen Windflower Motel in Waterton Townsite on the Canadian side.
2. Whitefish - Chalet Motel
3. Big Fork - Timbers Motel
4. Cardston (Alberta) Flamingo Motel
5. Rising Sun Motor Inn (in the park)
The best places are the most expensive and NOTHING is cheap around there.
Given the lack of quality, I think it is very expensive because your dollar buys you very little.
The places in Whitefish are too far away for an easy commute on a multi day basis as are motels in Big Fork or Kalispell. It is possible, but a long drive.
The places in Waterton, are higher quality, and nicer. They make visiting the Canadian side of the parks easy, but it is a long drive to Logan pass from Waterton.
My suggestion is to try the Super 8 Motel in Columbia Falls or the Mini Golden Inns or Tamarack Motel in Hungry Horse.
I am not a Super 8 fan, but your choices are limited.
The other choice is is to bite the bullit and stay in the park anywhere you can find a room.
Third, you might find a commercial motel in East Glacier.
The last, and least, choice of them all would be St. Mary's Village on the East Side. It is not a good buy even at half price!! I would rather stay in a tent!! And have in the past!

If you want to splurge, the Bad Rock B and B is in the $150 range nightly, but nice.

The drive from Spokane is not at all bad. Not many people out there, and the route US 2 winds through the woods much of the way. I would detour from US 2 at Libby and take state route 37 and come in on US 93. That way you skip Kalispell.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Anne

We're going to Glacier this summer, too, so I'm reading this post with interest. Bob, I'm curious, why not St. Mary's--I have reservations there and at the Glacier Park Lodge and am trying to decide between the two. St. Mary's looks more convenient, but maybe the GPL would be much better. Your advice on Glacier is always appreciated.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Anne

P.S. Peggy, have a great trip! My husband says that Glacier is his favorite place in the whole country. The kids and I can't wait to see it. You may still be able to get reservations inside the park. There were places available when I called a few weeks ago. Good luck.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Peggy

Thanks for the info Bob. As soon as we figure out when we can go (when baseball is over and before soccer starts) I'll start hitting the phones to see what we can come up with. Trying to make these last couple of vactions special before our son decides he is too old to go on vacation with Mom & Dad. He's 15 now so we know our time is limited.
We definately plan on some hiking but no over nights. My husband would like to get in some fishing, son - rafting, and I would like to hike to see a glacier. Place to stay is not that important as long as it is clean. It doesn't have to be fancy for just sleeping. What is wrong with St. Mary's? Just overpriced?
We can't wait to get out there and see the sights!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Connie

If you are sure Many Glacier is full (my first choice), St Mary is not bad. Actually they have built a new section that is pretty nice. It's just that the setting is nothing to brag about. It sits right on the corner of a highway and the park road. It is a good location to go into the park and up to Canada--which I recommend highly.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Donna F

My husband and son stayed in St Mary's at the little mom and pop place they found in the AAA guide. It was a motel plus campground. They only stayed a couple of nights and ate at the adjacent restaurant which served just plain good food. They loved the place because it was just plain and basic. Dad isn't a hiker so Son gave him a lot of rest breaks and walked slowy. I think they only met a couple of people on the trail. This was mid-week late July and they did not make any advance reservations on their trip across country. They missed out on a boat trip because they didn't have advance reservations so you might want to check to see if you can make any reservations for certain activities. I met up with them for the final leg to Alaska and we had to make reservations several months ahead for the train ride in Skagway.