first time visit to Colorado-seeking info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want to take a trip to Colorado mid November, around the 11th, for about 3 nights. We?ve never been to Colorado, much less any mountainous town, and we?ve never been skiing. We will be driving from Texas and are still trying to decide the best town to visit for our first time. We are looking to get away from it all, would like to do some snowmobiling, hiking, sightseeing nature and have some romance. Would the early part of November be a good time to visit Colorado and will there be any snow? I noticed that the Silverton train does not run until later in November and was wondering why.

Also, we are still trying to decide where to go but have limited our options to 3-4 locations. Durgano, Steamboat Spring, Estes Park or Colorado Springs. I would appreciate any advice and tips on what to do, where to go, and where I should stay. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Whether or not there will be snow is totally a gamble...the weather here is very unpredictable. Steamboat is probably pretty likely for snow and has good activities. Not sure if hiking will be possible...Colorado Springs has Pikes Peak and some other things, but it is more of a small city than a vacation destination. Estes Park is nice..near Rocky Mountain National Park. I believe most of the roads into the Park will be closed by November.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM

If there's enough snow to snowmobile, you're not going to be able to hike in the same area and vice versa. Especially within a 3 day span. Either way, mid-November is not a good time for either.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:06 AM
MaureenB

November probably won't have snow accumulated, so don't count on skiing for sure. But it is still a pretty month, if you are happy with hiking and sightseeing. I wouldn't suggest Colorado Springs, as it isn't situated in the mountains, and really wouldn't be what you're looking for. We like Winter Park for its wide open spaces, and nearby Grand Lake for its spectacular scenery. And Steamboat Springs has a 'wild west' feeling that you might enjoy. I don't know what route you would drive into Colorado, but Durango is very pretty, so are Telluride, and Crested Butte. Of course there's always Aspen for a big splurge. Can you make it more than 3 nights? Seems like a long drive for a short stay. I'd do 5 nights minimum.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM

The first time my husband and I visited Durango, we had been living in Houston; we flew into Albuquerque and drove a big loop through Pagosa Springs, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Junction (and the Colorado Monument), then Moab, Cortez, and Mesa Verde. We did this all in 4 days around early November. I thought the whole area was really beautiful. Now that I live in Colorado, I'm spoiled, and would say that November isn't as pretty as other months, because the trees have dropped their leaves, but there isn't usually much snow.

Around Durango at that time of year, you can expect some incredible mountain views, possibly snow, but not usually deep. The train stops running all the way up to Silverton around then, because pretty soon, the tracks will be covered in snow, and there is avalanche danger. It does make the trip to Cascade Canyon and back, which is still a great ride.

One of the good things about travelling then is the possibility of winging it - I think you could get by pretty easily without reservations. That would give you the option to go where the weather and conditions were what you wanted. Depending on where in Texas you are driving from, and where you decide to go, you might want to consider flying into Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, or Denver in order to maximize your vacation time. Flying might not be much more expensive than driving because fares are relatively low then, and if you drive, you'll likely have to stay in a motel coming and going.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:20 AM
MaureenB

Travellyn's route sounds gorgeous; and good idea about leaving your lodging reservations flexible to follow the weather.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Colorado Springs is a small city but it is a very good vacation destination, as well. Pikes Peak has lots to offer: hiking, a drive up the tollway to the summit, the cog railway. The U.S. Olympic Training Center is a great stop and the U.S. Air Force Academy with its gorgeous chapel is worth a visit as long as security regulations are permitting visitors on base (it was closed to visitors recently). Seven Falls and the red rocks of Garden of the Gods are both lovely and the famous Broadmoor Hotel is also a favorite. One note: The Springs does not get a lot of snow typically, so it is quite likely you won't see any except for maybe some on the Peak. (That applies to winter as a whole; not just mid-November.) For snowmobiling and the like you'll want to go to someplace higher.

I know it's not on your list but you might want to consider Summit County (Breckenridge, Keystone, Coppery Mtn. Arapahoe Basin ski resorts). Plenty of cross country and downhill skiing there and some gorgeous places to snowmobile and snowshoe. Just a warning, though, that the last couple years have been rather light on snow, so your trip is probably a bit early to ensure snow.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Why these four? Durgano, Steamboat Spring, Estes Park or Colorado Springs.

Of those Durango or Steamboat, not a big fan of Estes Park, even less so for Colorado Springs. Like others said early Nov is anyones bet as to the weather. Some resorts will have very limited skiing, I'd skip skiing if you have never been.

I hike year round. Unless we have a really big storm there is no reason that you could not hike. Most trails are pretty packed down and you can get by with good water proof hiking boots. If there is snow rent some snowshoes, about 10.00 or less. It is fun, if you can walk you can snowshoe.

For me though it is not on your list I would look at Vail. It fits the other criteria "snowmobiling, hiking, sightseeing nature and have some romance." If you can push your trip back till early December you would have a better chance to snowmobile.

Vail has wonderful resturants and romantic hotels. Early Nov is still off season and you could get a great rate.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 02:01 PM

PS Maureen's idea of Telluride is good too. I am not sure how much is open at that time though?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I will keep my options open and look at other places. I just ordered a Colorado book to help. I would really like to be there when there is snow so I guess I better wait until December or maybe even January. ?? We chose early November because we have some time away from work then.

Having never been to any place in Colorado, I only know what I hear and I've heard the people in Vail aren't very friendly, which is why that wasn't on my list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I'll take into consideration everything to help me plan my trip.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:20 AM

My husband and I spent six nights in Vail this summer and LOVED it. We thought the people were very nice. We stayed at the Sonnenalp and it was fabulous - highly recommend.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:21 AM

Beachjaunt, I go to Vail often people are the same there as anyplace. Personnaly I have found them to be very nice. FYI..rates will be much less before the Christmas holidays. They do go down a bit in Jan but if your budget is restrictive it is something to consider. Of the places mentioned I would go to Telluride or Vail. I could be wrong but I think that Vail will have more to offer non-skiers. Telluride has spectacular scenery. Hard to go wrong with either.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:28 AM

Beachjaunt - if you can move your dates, to early December, you'll have a much better chance to go snowmobiling and other activities. I also think its much prettier then.

Early November - the leaves have fallen, there's not complete snow coverage so theres a lot of brown. By December, there's snow coverage, Christmas lights are up, more people and therefore more shops and restaurants open. Be sure to avoid the week of Christmas and New Years as these weeks book up a year in advance and are the most expensive.

I also think as non-skiers, the Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Telluride loop is a beautiful choice. Spectacular scenery, cute town. If there's not enough snow for snowmobiling, you could drive to Mesa Verde and hike the ruins. (There'll be snow on the peaks) The train is closed for the winter due to weather.

I'm not a big fan of Estes or Colo Springs. Steamboat is geared more toward skiing/boarding at that time. Summit (Breck/Keystone) and Vail would be good options, as mentioned, as alternatives.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM

I like Vail and have personally never had a single problem there. But I've had friends come back with the funniest stories of running into snooty people there. And a friend of mine managed a condo project in nearby Beaver Creek ($2 million and up--yikes!) and before the project was even done one owner had already filed suit against his neighbor because his neighbor had a double-door entryway and he didn't. (There was no way to give him a double-door entry because of his condo's layout so he demanded the neighbor give up one of his doors. When the neighbor said no, he sued him.)

Again, I've enjoyed my trips there and will go back in the future but it's only fair to report on what others have told me, as well.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM

Beachjaunt, I think Durango and/or Telluride meet a lot of what you are looking for. Both have skiing, beautiful scenery, history, great hiking...

I was just looking at my Telluride pics before I read this post and it reminded me of how dramatic the scenery in Telluride is. We celebrated our anniversary their in the Summer a couple of years ago and Bridal Veil Falls is beautiful. Just not sure how much hiking is really fesible during Dec or January so that might limit what you can see. Here's a link to my photos from Telluride. I have two albums on the first page. Summer was pretty but I'm sure the town looks really pretty with snow!

http://community.webshots.com/user/lenleigh

I would also nix Colorado Springs, husband and I finally moved back to Denver from there and I hated every minute of living there. It does have some nice scenery (I have a Garden of the Gods album too) and a few worthy attractions but it's by no means a small town anymore and the town itself is pretty unattractive. I like Estes Park but it's very family oriented and skiing is further away but it's the entrance to RMNP which won't do much good in Dec.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM

Snowing today! Yipee, it will melt but it is nice to see so early in the year
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM

CoSkier, my husband would not be happy to hear that but I am! I'm hoping to enjoy a little more of this not too warm, not too cold autumn weather. This is one of my favorite seasons!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM

Beachjaunt,

I'll have to 'third' the Summit County suggestions, especially Breckenridge. Lots to do, it's a real town. Tons of shopping and restaurants too. I was just checking for our ski vacation this year, and the ski area officially opens Nov. 12 this year. We've gone the past two Thanksgivings and there has been snow both times. Have fun whatever you decide.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM

Coskier, Take a look at the "last day of summer" in Keystone!

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5668d/#TL
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:55 PM

To each his (or her) own, I guess. Been a resident of the Springs for nine years and have loved every minute of it. There's nothing like looking out at Pikes Peak every morning. That said, this is definitely a city--around 500,000 if you count the entire metro region, I believe. I think you (the original poster) may be looking for more of a mountain town and there are great choices above for that.

As to when it's safest to assume there'll be snow, I think as a beginner skier you'd be fine in December because you'll be on the flatter runs that hold snow well and have the benefit of man-made snow. I don't snowmobile but I'd guess January might be a safer bet for that because you'll be at the mercy of Mother Nature. But, hopefully it'll be a snowy winter. They had measurable snow in the mountains today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -