Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First Time to New Orleans -- Need Hotel Suggestion

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Kellie

My friend and I are taking a trip to New Orleans to celebrate our 30th birthdays. It is our first time visiting and we want to find an inexpensive hotel that is 1) in a good location for experiencing the city; 2) is safe for two women to come and go; and 3) is going to give us a sense of New Orleans (i.e., a boutique hotel).

Any suggestions? We were thinking we should find someplace off of the French Quarter, but are there other areas that we should consider as well? We are going 1/17 - 1/20. How crazy will the city be at this time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Kellie

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:13 AM
StayedThere

We stayed in the Villa Convento. It was clean, very reasonable and great location. Nothing fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but a good place to stay. We would stay there again.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Tony

Try the Hotel Richelieu. It is located in a safe, quiet corner of the French Quarter. Reasonably good food and a very helpful concierge.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Jean

Several years ago I stayed at the Prince Conti. Only about a block from Bourbon, but I never heard any noise. It was nice because there were rooms with two beds. At the time it was about $150.00 per night. It's close enough to Bourbon that if you and your friend get separated, you would be safe walking alone back to your hotel.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Susan

I'll second the suggestion of the Hotel Le Richelieu. I stayed there with two other lady friends and we felt perfectly safe walking back to our hotel at night. It is in a quieter corner of the French Quarter, but close enough to everything that you can walk. We didn't have a car for our four days there and didn't need one. The hotel has been there for many years and comes complete with local barflies in the bar.

Definitely stay in the French Quarter.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM
joebob

bring alot of cash and eat at Commanders Palace, absolutely fabulous!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Kellie

Thanks for all of your responses! Has anyone heard anything about (or stayed at) the Alexa Hotel on Royal Street? Expedia seems to have great deals for a room there ($88 per night) for when I'll be there, but I want to make sure that the location is decent and the place is somewhat nice. Can't beat that price!

Thanks-
Kellie

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Jim

I agree with the Villa Convento and Le Richelieu, they probably carry the best reputation as hotels considered a bargain. Also the Chateau hotel is a bargain and also offers free parking as does Le Richelieu. 905 Royal is a great location as is the Andrew Jackson which I believe was recently renovated.
I guess the Le Richelieu has the best overall rating of all I've mentioned.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:42 AM
kellie

Thanks for the suggestions! My traveling partner and I love the suggestions. We are still debating. Prices are a tad higher than I expected. Thinking of finding a hotel in the CBD, on the fringe of the French Quarter. Specifically, Hotel Monaco. Good call? Bad call? I am still concerned about not knowing the safe from the not-so-safe streets. . . .

Can't wait to actually start planning activities!

-Kellie

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Dave

Kellie

CBD is not a bad idea. Try the Hampton Inn which is nice and located across from the convention center.

Also try the St. Louis sometimes they run specials.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:55 AM
elephant

Kellie Im going there next week and Im staying at the Best Western downtown french quarter it only cost me $47/night
need more info?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Hilda

We stayed at the Josephine Hotel in the Garden District. A huge, gorgeous old home and gracious hosts. It's actually a B&B. It's right on the St. Charles Streetcar line, which in my opinion is the best way to travel in New Orleans. The Garden District is great for strolling around and viewing all the gorgeous old homes.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:13 AM
Shawn

Hilda - we stayed at the Josephine as well. It is very convenient to the French Quarter. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't recommend it for two wild and crazy girls celebrating their 30th B-Days.
Stay in the french quarter and splurge on a couple of bites to eat in the Garden District. Buy the guidebook "Irreverent New Orleans" for food and activities. Make sure to visit Preservation Hall for Jazz and take the nighttime Ghost Tours! If you have enough time, take a garden district tour and the cemetary tour (you can even handle either hung over)

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:38 AM
fluffnfold

I like the Omni Royal Orleans in the French Quarter. Nice rooms, good service, and a great location. It has a nice rooftop pool, too.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Kellie

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I think we have it narrowed down to the Royal Sonesta or the Hotel Monaco. My travel buddy is in analysis paralysis trying to decide the best option. I think we'll be fine either way. . . .

Now we are on to FOOD decisions! My favorite part! I know for sure that we'll visit Cafe Du Monde, Brennan's, and K-Paul, and Acme Oyster Bar.

I've been reading past NOLA posts, and it seems there is some serious debate about the best restaurant in town. We want one place that has serious Cajun and then another that offers a funky atmosphere with a creative menu. Suggestions on where to go?

(I read that folks have not had good meals at Emeril's restaurant lately. True or False?)

Thanks! This forum is much better than any travel guide!

-K

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Kevin

Try www.houseoftherisingsunbnb.com. Check out the guests comments.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Anne

Kevin, please note that advertising isn't allowed on fodors.com and your e-mail address matches the contact address on the website. Your property looks lovely, though.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Cindy

We were at Emeril's NOLA last September and were totally unimpressed. Try somebody else!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:38 PM
BD

Hotel Monaco is very hip with very hip bar/restaurant downstairs plus has wine hour every evening. Stayed there when it first opened (we're locals) and it was cool and fun. Royal Sonesta is right on Bourbon which can get on one's nerves. Definitely in the thick of things. Can't recommend K-Pauls, very touristy. Same for Brennan's. Cajuns don't live in New Orleans so don't look for "Cajun" food. Go to Lafayette. Best meal in the Quarter is Peristyle (take a cab). For oysters, the locals go to Casamento's on Magazine St. not Acme (though I like Acme). Herbsaint, on St. Charles about two blocks from the Monaco, is quite good and two doors down is a great caberet called Le Chat Noir. Of course, dress up and go to Galatoire's for lunch or dinner(sit downstairs), sip on cocktails and watch the who's who of New Orleans get hammered in a style and grace truly to be admired. Have fun.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:48 PM
p.

Royal Sonesta. You can watch the crowd below if you get bored !
Have a great time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -