Reload this Page >

First time to Big Island

Search

First time to Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 10:03 AM
robin

First time to Big Island

Message: My husband & I are planning a trip to Hawaii for our 20th wedding anniversary. We went to Maui in 1985 and loved it. Went to Kaui in 1996 and were disappointed with the snorkeling and beaches (after the hurricane).
Now looking at the Big Island and the Four Seasons or the Westin Hapuna Prince. Looking for good beach access, not a lot of lava rock and great snorkeling. Not really interested in shopping or nightlife. Just outdoor, relaxing, Mai Tai's.

Any suggestions or comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 12:07 PM
Barry

Robin:
I have stayed at both the Hapuna Prince and the Four Seasons on the Big Island. It sounds like the beach is quite important to your hotel selection. If so, be advised that the Four Seasons offers wonderful pools and a relaxing environment, but no real beach (even though its a waterfront property). The Hapuna Prince has a beautiful, crescent beach, but it gets rough in the winter (late Nov. - March).
You may already know that beaches are public, so if you are willing to drive around, you may want to try "A-Bay", behind the Outrigger Waikoloa Hotel, which has calm waters, plenty of palm trees lining the shore and nice (but not fantastic) snorkeling.
Foodwise, both of your choices have enjoyable restaurants. Consider dining at Roy's (in the Kings Shopping Mall), Merriman's (in Waimea), and Oodles of Noodles (in Kona).
By the way, have you researched the Mana Lani Bay Hotel? It continues to get very favorable reviews. All of these hotels are, of course, on the sunny Kohana coast.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 03:59 PM
David

Stayed at the Hapuna Prince this past summer and can't say enough good things about it. The beach is great and the pool is very nice. While the snorkeling from the hotel beach is ok, I'd highly recommend you book a snorkel cruise on the fairwind boat out of S. Kona. For approximately $35 bucks (they also have a longer and slightly more expensive cruise) they take you to Keakakua Bay (where Capt. Cook was killed) where you get to snorkel for about 1 1/2 hrs. My daughter enjoyed it more than the dophin experience at the Waikaloa.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:40 PM
paul

Robin,
I second the above post concerning the Hapuna Prince. The beach there is the finest I have seen anywhere. It is not especially long but is very wide, with soft, powderlike sand. We went in the summer and the water temperature and surf were great (this will not be the case in the winter). The restaurant at the hotel is very good. Also be aware that this hotel is very quiet and somewhat on its own although it share privileges with the Mauna Kea resort a short walk away. Both hotels also have first class golf courses which were not that crowded the days we were there. I was able to get a tee time for 1:30pm at around 10:00 that morning. The pool is also pretty large and very comfortable. I'm jealous.

Paul

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Neil

I would opt for the Mauna Kea over Hapuna--both have beautiful beaches, but the Mauna Kea is the epitome of classic elegance. Leave it to the Rockefellers to do things right. And you still get to share the facilities of the Hapuna. The snorkeling, however, is only fair.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Sandy

We didn't stay at the hotel, but we did visit Hapuna Beach Park early this month. It is beautiful but the water was very rough. Four of our group got minor injuries trying to boogie board. We learned later from the lifeguard that 14 people had suffered broken necks there in the last couple of months. Be careful if you are going in the winter months. The best snorkeling we found was at Captain Cook Monument.