First time in New York

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Kezzie

First time in New York

We are an English family (mum, dad, son of 18, daughter 15)and will be staying for 4 nights in New York in July. We have our accommodation sorted. What do we need to see and do? The kids love to shop, we want to see all the sights. Any tips (ie times/days to avoid/visit places). There seems to be so much - where do we start???

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:22 AM
welcome

Even for veteran visitors to New York...'where to start' can seem overwhelming. For our next visit-far from my first - I'm making a grid of calendar boxes, and just starting to fill in the spaces. For instance, this time around, we definitely want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge and probably will stop for pizza on the Brooklyn side on the highly regarded (now I forget the %%^# name...Grimaldi's, I think). So that goes in one box. We already have a Saturday nite theater engagement so that's filling the bottom part of the Saturday box. Off to the side, a list of places/restaurants/etc....and as I review and re-review they start to make it from the priority list into one of the boxes. For first timers, I'd say a trip to the top of the Empire State Bldg is a must, along with a trip on the Staten Island ferry (you probably hsould believe all the posters who say don't bother with an actual visit to the Statue, the SI Ferry will give you a good glimpse, along with a great look at the Lower Manhattan skyline). SI Ferry- day you might want to combine with a stroll through CHinatown or Little Italy. Another jaunt, given the ages of your kids, might be the Natural History Museum and that day could be combined with Central Park. Do start your planning with a search here at Fodors for all things New York....and good luck to you!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Kezzie

Thank you so much for your kind response. How nice to talk to a fellow "box-filler-in". I bet you make lists as well! I am worried we will miss something but equally I know there is so much to see in a short time.
Thanks once again! I am so looking forward to our trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Frank

Considering July can be very hot and humid, I would try to conserve energy, particularly taking into account your limited stay. I would restrict my time to Manhattan only and be sure to take in the major sights downtown, midtown,and uptown. The Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue, Metropolitan Museum, at least one Broadway show, Central Park, Little Italy, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Wall Street, the Battery, Statue of Liberty, if time allows, Grand Central Station, New York Public Library/Bryant Park, Macy*s, Museum of Natural History/Planetarium, Lincoln Center, U.N., South Street Seaport, etc,.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Jeanne

Hello Kezzie.
I work in NYC and lived here before I had children. One of my favorite things to do is to take the circle line boat trip. From pier 83 (42nd street & 12th Ave), you can take a 2 hour or 3 hour boat tour around Manhattan or from pier 16 at the South Street Seaport (lower manhattan) you can take a 1 hour boat trip. The website is www.circleline.com. If you have the time, it's a great trip.

I also enjoyed walking through central park, there is always something to see at the park. Friends of ours recently went to NBC's Today Show to watch the telecast, they had a great time. The show is telecast from Rockefeller Plaza and 49th street between 7:00 am and 10:00 am. It gets quite crowded, if you decide to go get there early. I also understand that Mondays are the least crowded day of the working week.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Steve

We just did our first trip. Highlight: The helecopter tour around Manhattan! Wow! Runner-up was the Waterway boat tour around Manhattan. We went on the Harbour Waterway line (something like that-not Circle) and it was excellent.
Have fun!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Marj

You should definitely spend a day just wandering around the village and soho. There are tons of interesting little stores of all kinds, flea markets, street vendors and also a huge variety of restaurants. WHile in the area, be sure to walk through Washington Square park, your kids will love it.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:09 AM
rqf

Indicate the days of the week you will be in the city. Post a list of those things you want to see and do. With this information in hand suggestions can be provided as to how to organize your days to maximize sightseeing time. Getting around information can also be provided.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Mike

First come to grips with the fact that you will miss A LOT. There are more "must do's" and "must see's" then you will fit in. Considering the time of year, I'd recommend as much outdoorsy stuff as possible (if you can handle the heat) since that is what is uniquely New York. Seeing a play on Broadway or in the West End is not going to be much different. I would not go to museums since you can go to plenty in Europe, unless there is a unique exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art while you are there. With that said, I would consider must do's to be:

-walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
-spend 1/2 day in Central Park,take a hansom cab ride, rent a rowboat, drive a radio controlled sailboat, visit the John Lennon memorial, the Dakota hotel is nearby (where he was assasinated)
-take a Circle Line cruise
-go to the top of the Empire State Building
-go see a Yankee baseball game
-walk through Chinatown and Little Italy, take a narrated walking tour of Chinatown
- I shop in NYC but I find there to be very little unique outside of cruising vintage clothing shops. You can get Diesel jeans and Doc Martens anywhere these days. If the kids like music, shop at the Virgin Mega store but also stroll St. Marks Place where there are a few used CD stores with all kinds of cool music.
-stroll Times Square at night - stroll the village at night

I'd definitely recommend seeing a Yankee game if they're in town. If not, the Mets will probably be in town. Even if you all don't understand all of the rules, it will be such a "New York" experience.