Reload this Page >

First time in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Liz

We are visiting New orleans for the first time in March. What are the major attractions I should not miss? Is a swamp tour a good idea? Thanks!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Alex

So many things to do but here is one of our favorites. Take the trolley down St. Charles Street and arrange a Cemetery/Garden District tour. Haven't taken a swamp tour.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:45 PM
MD4

I've been several times and never can seem to leave the French Quarter, so I haven't been on a swamp tour either. I agree with the trolley- great, easy way to cover lots of territory. The horse/carriage rides are nice as well- romantic during the evening. They have a nice aquarium if you enjoy that kind of thing. Cafe DuMonde is a must-do for everyone- what's not to like about fried dough & sugar? So is Pat O'Brien's- but go at night when the fountain should be lit. We have greatly enjoyed the various street performers around Jackson Square- combinations of acrobats, comedians, and general entertainment all for a few dollars tip to them. French Market is fun to stroll through. Just walk around and absorb the culture that makes New Orleans so great. You're sure to stumble upon some shops, art galleries & restaurants you'll enjoy. Have a great trip!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Liz

What tour company did you use for the Garden District tour?

Thanks for the information.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:43 PM
xxx

we did a full day tour - city, swamp, lunch then plantations. i really enjoyed it especially the swamp. but, check the months, some months are better then other as i understand it to see the crocs.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Betty

I live in NO and you are comming at a great time. The city is beautiful in March. Don't miss the garden district. The swamp tours are good if you like that sort of thing. Take a cemetary tour. St. Louis #1 is the oldest. Do not go there unless on a tour. The plantations outsode of NO are beautiful and interesting. EAT! Our food is the best. Some recommendations (local spots)--Frankie and Johnny's for boiled crawfish (take a cab), Clancy's for a white tablecloth experience, Deannie's (in Bucktown) for the largest seafood platter. None of these are in the French Quarter but all locals can give you directions.