Search

First time in LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in LA

Arriving in LA next week with my 17 year old daughter- last minute trip to a place she really wants to visit. Coming from the east coast so we will be up early- at least at first! Since we will get in late Wed, we'll stay near LAX and get a car in the morning. I am interested in your opinions about our tentative plans. I have read a lot on this forum and trip advisor so now I am looking for someone who knows the area(s) and drive time distances to help me solidify or at least create an outline of an itinerary.
Is the airport the best place for a car rental? The prices I've checked out seem reasonable for a week long rental.

Th AM- coming from the east coast so will be up early and hope to leave before traffic heats up! Head to San Diego to visit the zoo which closes at 6:00 PM; enjoy the waterfront and spend the night; Suggestions for lodging welcome-mostly concerned about safety and cleanliness-between $150- $200 preferably.

Fri: head to Wild Animal Park. My daughter is considering becoming a zoo vet and I have heard wonderful things about both parks. Would we have time on Fri for other siteseeing- suggestions? Friday evening head back to LA to arrive after evening rush- 8ish. Best place to stay in Hollywood? Same criteria as above. We'd like to be within walking distance to some interesting/fun (touristy I am sure) places. This will not be a late night for us!

Sat: Will do a tour- considering TMZ or a Hollywood City tour which would include the Farmer's Market, Griffith Observatory, and Getty Museum which are all on my wish list. Drive Mulholland Dr. and head to Santa Monica. What else can we fit in?
Sat-Mon nights staying in Santa Monica at a B & B.

Sun: I'd like to rent bikes head to Venice Beach and shop around a bit. Enjoy the pier, people watching, shops, 3rd St. Promenade; play this day by ear- any must do's in the area?

Mon: drive north up the coast; is Santa Barbara too far for a round trip day? If so, what is a good turn around point. Looking for beautiful vistas, good place to lunch and perhaps something to do such as horseback ride (Topanga Canyon?).

Tues: we fly out at midnight so we have all day to do/see anything we have missed. Is a CBS Studio Tour worth the time? If so, which one do you recommend?
I have checked the tvtickets.com site but it is down tonight. Not sure if tix are even available this late and this time of year. DD would love to see a show taped, though! Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Santa Barbara has a nice zoo. I've never been to SD so I can't compare. You could take a Pacific Surfliner north from Los Angeles in the morning and take the Coast Starlight south in the evening from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles.
This would save a day on the car rental and save a bunch of miles on the PCH.
Amtrak also has several daily trains between Los Angeles and San Diego if you wanted to avoid driving the rental car.
If you go to Santa Barbara, you may want to go up to see the mission. There are several good restaurants along State Street. There are others worth visiting out on the pier.
The Amtrak station is at the foot of State Street only a block from the ocean
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Starting Friday, June 21, the San Diego Zoo is open till 9:00pm.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM

On your Hollywood day consider staying at Loews at Hollywood & Highland Complex, Chateau Marmont for the cool factor, Roosevelt Hotel for the history (it is old and maybe haunted). You might also see if you know anyone that can get you into Magic Castle, that's alot of fun. I've also heard Farmer's Daughter recommended for a cool budget alternative. I think there is also a W if you can use SPG points. Mind you, I've never stayed at any of these hotels. I'm a local who prefers the beach, BH, Pasadena or downtown hotels over Hollywood.

You can hike Mt.Hollywood, see if something is playing at the Greek or Hollywood Bowl while in the Hollywood area. You can also go horseback riding in Griffith Park. I remember reading somewhere that it includes Margaritas at a Mexican Restaurant. Another fun neighborhood to explore is Silver Lake. The LA Zoo is also pretty good but not really in the same league as our neighbors to the South.

For day trips from LA, consider driving up coast to Malibu, go to the Getty Villa, Inn of the Seventh Ray, Zuma Beach. We love Santa Barbara too. You can get stuck in traffic but just plan to leave early and consider it part of the experience. Ojai or Ventura can also make for a fun day trip. If you are willing to go inland, I think Pasadena is a lot of fun.

As for the SD Zoo and/or Wild Animal Park, we've loved visiting both. We splurged and did the behind the scenes tour at Wild Animal park which was pretty cool for my DD who loves animals.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Barbara, we decided to spend Th night in Hollywood and then head to the zoo on Friday because of the later hours. Again, I am banking on being on EST and waking up and getting on the road before 7 AM.
POlson- I have already checked out the Magic Castle and Roosevelt but both are more than I'd like to spend. Rather spend it on doing things that a bed- hope to be in our room rarely!
We have been all along the coast from Cambria north so Santa Barbara would be as far as we would go. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Sounds like a nice trip and not too rushed.
Not too crazy about Venice myself these days, but if you do go, Sunday is a good day, and your daughter sounds old enough to not be phased by the drug paraphernalia shops.
I prefer Santa Barbara as an overnight, but sure you can do it on a day trip. Sundays they have a nice art show along the harbor, but you would then have to contend with the traffic heading back to LA. SB is a popular weekend getaway for many here in LA. Alternatively, Malibu, Point Dume, Zuma Beach, maybe Getty Villa (you need reservations due to limited parking), lunch somewhere nice (I like Duke's).