Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First t San Diego or Palm Springs or both and suggestions for activities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:04 AM
Jill

I'm planning a 9 or 10 day vacation in California for our family of 5 (3 kids 11-14) in April 2002. We've never been in this beautiful state before. Looking towards Southern California so it would be warm for outdoor hiking. We do love hiking, deserts, mountains and also beaches. Any fun things to do that the kids would enjoy? Thanks a million!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:17 AM
kam

Most of the state will be warm enough for hiking, certainly up to the central coast. You might experience rain still if you were to go to SF or north. How about Yosemite? Depending on whether you'll be here in early or late April, it could be just fantastic with some snow left at higher elevations and full waterfalls. Lots of nice hikes there, not just the really demanding ones. I think I would plan to spend the most time in San Diego/Palm Springs (although this is really pretty much a golf resort except for Joshua Tree and Mt. San Jacinto)--Death Valley would still be comfortable in April-- and then schedule 3 days in Yosemite as well. Make reservations for accomodations now for Yosemite. Lots of advice on this board. Do a search.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:00 PM
Jane

We took a great vacation to the San Diego area a couple of years ago. First we flew into San Diego and immediately drove out to the Anza Borrego Desert. Stayed at the Casa del Zorro resort, which was wonderful. We are hikers, and we had a great time on the trails (we went in March, by the way, so it wasn't too hot. Our rental car was a four wheel drive - this is a must if you plan to drive out to the trailheads. The roads are a little rough.

Stopped in Julian along the way to the Anza Borrego Desert to pick up great apple pie and pie crust cookies.

Next we stayed at a hotel on a pier in San Diego. I forgot the name, but I'll look it up for you if you are interested. It was not too expensive, very nice, comfortable, cheerful and right on the beach. The area around there had a lot of restaurants. From this base we visited the zoo and took a hike in La Jolla.

By the way, if you get a chance to go to Catalina Island, it is also great for hiking. We stayed at the inn at Two Harbors - lots of paths, great views. Very special.

Finally, if you are in the LA area, we enjoyed hiking up Mt. Baldy. I grew up in LA and had never done it before. We hiked it last year and now I wonder why I never hiked it before. Somewhat challenging but worth it. In LA, don't miss the Getty Museum - a must-see.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:26 PM
kam

Oh yes, I forgot about Catalina. Your kids would love it. There's a back part of the island with great hiking/camping. My son is off to there next week. Avalon is the little town at the harbor and quiet nice, but the whole rest of the island is great for hiking/camping. Anza Borrego was just mentioned recently to another poster here. If you go to Catalina, have huevos rancheros at the little outside restaurant/shack near the golf course. Yum!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:34 PM
Jill

Yes - thank you I would love the name of that hotel at the San Diego Pier. So we really need to make reservations for Yosemite lodging now? I'd heard that is one of the most beautiful parks in the US. I goofed up the title of my question. Meant to say "First time in Cal. Should we go to San Diego or Palm Springs or both?" Thanks for great info so far!!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:16 PM
kam

Jill, If you want to stay in Yosemite Valley Floor (which is where most of the action is) the reservations open one year and one day ahead. The openings at the Ahwannhee hotel generally fill within 48 hours. I made our reservations for June 2002 two months ago. I'm really not kidding! There is a very generous cancellation policy. If you choose not to do this you'll take luck of the draw or will need to stay outside of the valley floor--not terrible but requires commuting in each morning and out each evening. There are lots of posts about Yosemite here--unfortunately, they can be very confusing.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Jane

Sorry but I keep forgetting to check for the name of that hotel when I get home. But to the best of my recollection, I think the name is The Crystal Pier Hotel. Actually it is a collection of cottages lined up on a pier. It is a very nice place to stay - inexpensive, clean, great location.

I believe all the cottages come with a kitchette, too.