Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First Class on Interisland - avoids long lines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you fly 1st class on the interisland flights - do you avoid the long wait lines at the airports?
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Yes Nancy - first class and premier passengers get to board first (and I think every commuting Hawaiian has a premier pass for this purpose). I haven't checked FC rates, and there aren't many of them.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Depends on the airline. When I flew 1st with them last week children & elderly boarded first (half of the plane), then first class. I don't know what the deal was as this is the first time it happened to us on Hawaiian, if that was just that one flight or if it's all the timne now.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM

travelinwifey: That boarding policy has to do with seating those passengers that will require extra time or assistance in getting settled on-board. It is basically universal; I just flew American first class and had to wait for the preboarding families, disabled and elderly folk, same as everyone else.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:43 PM

Use the Skycap service at curb side.
They will check you in, take your bags thru Xray and to the counter that sends them direct to the plane. Tip them about $2 a bag unless it is a huge one.
We had 6 pieces this week including a golf bag and a few tiny cases and tipped $10. The Skycap was happy, we walked right by the long lines at Aloha and went directly to our gate, and we were happy. Most inter-island airlines have open seating, so first one to the gate gets the best choice. The flights are only about 20 minutes, definitely not worth coughing up first class fare.
Aloha!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 09:01 PM

In my experience 1st went before children so I thought this time was strange but then again I really never apy attention. I upgrade a lot but just don't remember families going first.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:30 AM

All five legs I flew earlier in the month, both Aloha and Hawaiian, had First Class board first.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 08:44 AM

We flew Aloha late November Oahu to Maui. Families w/ children under 5 years and those with special needs boarded first. There were no lines per se-only organized chaos on boarding. The 30 minute flight was one hour late departing.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 08:49 AM

rjw lgb ca,

I don't know what you witnessed, but AA official policy is to pre-board handicapped people ONLY. No families or elderly board before first/business.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:18 AM

AAFrequentFlyer: Maybe not official policy, but on EVERY leg, gate agents considerately herded in families with small children and special needs passengers before First Class. This usually didn't take too long, except for a PHL-DFW leg with three very large families and six special needs people (including a quadriplegic traveling with his family).

Personally, I'm happy to see the families get on first, since it takes so much effort to get small kids settled in their seats.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:23 AM

There's been a lot of discussion so far about FC boarding, but more importantly, do you get to bypass the security line? The last time I flew interisland on Hawaiian from HNL, the security line wait was about 45 minutes long.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Hawaiian Air FF Premiere Club members get a special security line at HNL -- not a bypass, but no long lines either.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Well rjb lgb ca, I flew 108,000 miles/69 segments on AA and I've never seen families board first. As a matter of fact when a couple with young kids tried it once the GA very sternly told them that they will have to wait till their group gets called. Wheelchair/handicapped people get boarded before there is any announcement, and then it's F, J(if applicable), and then groups from 1(mostly elites flying in coach) to 5. That's the way it always was and to my knowledge still is. There maybe be an exception made to the rule by a GA during very heavy holiday period, but that's all it is, a one time exception.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM

AAFF: Fine, I hallucinated the whole thing. TSA agents gunned down the parents and herded the tykes off to Reform School. Happy?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM

And now let's go back to Nancy03 question. I'm not sure which lines she's talking about, but in most cases F does have it's own check-in line. This may be less important in this case just because it's a domestic flight and if you're on an electronic ticket you could use any check-in kiosk. Also, many airlines do set-up a F/J/elite line for security at their major airports. So for example AA has a special security line set-up at ORD, LAX, JFK that I know of. Basically, it's a line that bypasses the regular line and you just blend in once you get to the actual security check.
The airline you'll be flying should have some info about that on their website. If not, post the airline and I will try to find out for you.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:21 AM

rjw lgb ca,

Facts are facts, please don't shoot the messenger! I did state that there may have been an exception, so I'm not saying you are lying/hallucinating, but please don't say that that's the official AA policy, which you did in the earlier post.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Sorry about being snippy, AAFF, but I *know* what I saw. And you give the main reason away yourself: Every leg was 100% full. The GAs obviously used discretion to expedite the boarding process, and preboarding included families with small kids (and I see this all the time-- lately I travel more for leisure than business, which may be the difference), Air Marshals and disabled/elderly with mobility problems. I'm sure Coach passengers were happy to not have to trip over shrieking brats or some poor elderly person with Parkinson's who will take three minutes to get out of a wheelchair into his or her seat. Agreed?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Also, the inter-island boarding areas are very crowded. Depending on which island you're visiting you will be waiting outside in a small area with lots of people. I'm not really sure it's worth it. In fact, some flights may be almost empty anyways as flights run frequently throughout the day. Just depends on where you're going. The planes are small and older, a first class seat may not make much of a difference.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:27 AM

AAFF: Who said it was "official"? The word "official" never was bandied about by me. It was simply "policy"-- whether it comes down from American Airlines or the management of the airport in question, that was standard practice at every leg. Sounds more like practicality to me....
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Ok let's stop this.......

I'll take back "you said" and change it to "inferred".

Trust me, no families get pre-boarded on AA(officially).

And on that note, I will move on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -