Reload this Page >

First Class......Deteriorating?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Jerry

Interesting (though not surprising) info in an article in USA Today 7/6 about domestic first class air travel. Specifically about how this once hallowed class of service has deteriorated during recent years.
One of the biggest reasons? Estimate in the article is that only 15-20% of first class passengers pay (the first class fare) for their seat. The vast majority are upgrades. And as such, the article claims, the 'upgraded' often have an 'attitude of entitlement' or are just plain crass in their behavior.
And services and quality of food, drinks, dinnerware has fallen off steadily.
The article stated that many flight attendants now prefer working in coach to avoid the ridiculous behavior exhibited by many in first.

International first class has only gotten better over the years, and is still worth the $$ if feasible.
But domestic first class is rapidly becoming kind of a joke.
I post this in response to a thread last year about whether paying extra for domestic first class is really worth it.
The answer? If it's free. Otherwise no, in my opinion.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Geo

As a United 100,000 mile flyer I am fortunate to upgrade to first class on most flights. Based on casual observation I'd say that there are three kinds of folks up front these days: the road warriors like myself who are able to upgrade using miles or purchased certificates; the award travelers who are cashing in frequent flyer miles for that once a year trip; and the traditional first class travelers who pay for the privilege of sitting up front. Based on the declining level of service and amenities in first class, I can say without reservation I wouldn't pay full fare for what we get. Food service, if any, is ho-hum; equipment is poorly serviced (cushions, pillows, seats, etc.); cabin attendants rarely go so far as to offer something to drink while getting seated, and to ask for a pillow or blanket is frequently treated like a loan request; frankly the biggest plus is having a bigger seat and more leg room, but I wouldn't pay double what I'd pay for a coach ticket. I have flown international first and business class several times this past year and I have to say the cutback in services and amenities has not reached those routes....yet.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Garrett

But the cut backs in international first class may never occur.
Since far fewer IFC seats are upgrades, the profitability of first class is considerably greater for the airline, which in turn justifies the better services and amenities.
Plus, if there's one time first class can really have a measurable impact on your trip, it's on international flights. There are times I've stepped off the plane with a solid, nearly uninterrupted 7-8 hours of sleep under my belt, feeling relaxed, refreshed and can hit the ground running without difficulty.
And ohhh, the new sleeper seats which recline 180 degrees with privacy partitions! Better than a long nap at home stretched out on the couch. IFC can be a lifesaver over coach if you have to be fresh upon arrival.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:03 PM
phil

I'm a Gold member on Continental and usually get upgraded. But If I didn't get it for free, I wouldn't pay for First on most flights. What they provide doesn't seem to justify the added cost, particulalry when it is a narrow body plane like a 737. Basically, you'd be paying for a slightly better meal and a larger seat. (They don't even put a priority tag on checked luggage anymore for first.)

However, I recently paid for first class from NY to Hawaii (as that is not eligible for an upgrade.) I felt the expense was worth it as it was 9 hour flight, the seats fully reclined, it was a wide-body airplane and the cost was only about $1,000 more than the coach fare I was quoted. the food service matched an expectation for first class, as well.

In terms of behavior in first class, I think it mirrors society as a whole and the decline of airline passengers as a whole. The sense of entitlement and the bad manners are not unique to first class and pervade our society.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:03 PM
joan

Observation:
In the past several years, it is rare to board a plane and see an empty row in first class. Nearly always full. In the "old days" first class never seemed to be full. This has to impact on the service, dontcha think? Especially if it's full of folks who didn't pay to be there in the first place!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:05 PM
L

Now, speaking as one of the underclass, the ones back in "cattle", it makes my eyes all teary to hear the tale of woe, the endless moaning and groaning going on about how things have just gone to the goats up front. Or is dogs? Jeez, when was the last time you sneaked a peek around that flimsy curtain separating the the elite from the great unwashed? Don't look now, but our peanut bag just got smaller, but the saving grace is the nuts are rancid. Last time I flew in first I loved those cool leather seats. But sitting in the rear is akin to stradling a razor, and my, my, my, when you're in steerage, do you pray for smooth air. Yowwee, do we ever! So, I suppose it's just like my relatives with all the money ... there's just not enough. First class junkies, malcontents and other complaintants universal, a solution for your miseries is at hand. Next time you fly, give up your seat to some poor mom with a baby, and move you ole fat, over-tended ass to the rear. God will smile down on you, and the mom will bless you to eternity. In the meantime, while you're thinking it over, anyone for a second round before takeoff? And what about a small plate of crunchies to keep you company? Dinner is served as soon as we reach cruising altitude. No, sir, do not pass the curtain, your lavatory is in the tail. Let these good people fly in peace. Ciao

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:17 PM
phil

To [email protected]
When does the revolution begin, Comrade?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:34 PM
L

Phil, I got no time for revolution ... I'm too busy trying to convert those FF miles for a seat up front. I dream of a cool leather seat where the ride is smooth, the air clean, the earphones are gratis and you got a choice of reds. Ciao

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:26 PM
jhm

L, thanks for the laugh.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:32 PM
John

Great article in today's Wall Stret Journal on this very subject.

We rode 1st class last weekend between Seattle and SFO (Alaska AL) and it was downright mediocre (almonds instead of pretzels, big deal).

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Jim Rosenberg

John, that regular "Princess and the Pea"-type travel feature that shows up in the Friday Wall Street Journal is always a hoot! It always breaks my heart when the pampering isn't quite pampered enough for our little traveler. As for first class, I've had a number of complimentary upgrades, but I'm certainly too cheap to even part with the miles for them if it would have to come down to that. (This is one of the advantages of being short.) The advice from here for relatively frequent domestic air travelers who want to improve their experience and not break the bank: Put up a fraction of the difference in cost between a first class and a coach seat on your next trip. Use those few hundred dollars to purchase an annual airport club membership -- particularly if you feel that the difference in the class of service has been getting a bit marginal. You'll see a much more measurable difference between the time you're spending on the GROUND at the airport (and let's face it, there is more of that happening all of the time!). Happy Trails!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:44 PM
John

Jim, Alaska has a cheap paid space available upgrade alternative ($40) which is lots better than using miles or paying the 300% upcharge. But on AS 737-200/400s with their swell 17x30 coach "seating" even mediocre is preferable to being kneecapped by the dufus in front of you.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Okay, for $40 I'd probably go for it too, on many flights! Can't argue with you there at all.