Search

Fine Dining Advice - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine Dining Advice - NYC

Hi there,

I'd like some advice from people who're into fine dining and have eaten at a few different places in New York City.

Basically, there are so many amazing places to choose from for the one remaining evening on our trip yet to have a reservation, we can't decide where to book!

The choices I've narrowed down to are;

Jean Georges (in Trump Hotel)
Gramercy Tavern
Babbo
Coliccio and Sons Main Dining Room

At the moment, I'm swaying towards Babbo, but that does change on an almost daily basis!

Any input is most welcome - I look forward to hearing the thoughts of others!

Thanks,
Sarah
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 02:41 AM

Gramercy Tavern is a good one.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 03:10 AM

Keens Steakhouse
http://www.keens.com/

Peter Luger
http://peterluger.com/
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 03:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend that has been a long-time fan of Peter Lugers said that it has gone downhill and was not worth the trip or the cost the last time she dined there.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 04:44 AM

Gotham Bar and Grill
Tocqueville

We just ate Luger's in March and the food and service were spectacular.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 04:49 AM

Disclaimer: this was many years ago.

We had a fabulous meal at Gotham.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Of those you mentioned, the one that is closest to my idea of "fine dining" is Jean Georges. I consider that on a level above the others,, although all are good. Do you want to dress up and have any men in your party wear a jacket? They need to do that at JG.

Babbo is great but it is pretty casual, with loud rock music usually played. I like the upstairs dining area best. You will see diners in "nice" jeans and there is no need for men to wear jackets.

You might want to put Betony on 57th Street on the list. It never gets mentioned here, perhaps because it is fairly new. It received three stars from the NYTImes not too long ago; service is impeccable and the kitchen is creative in a way that the others you mention are not (Exception being Jean Georges). Many of the staff are from the 11 Madison Park family; many consider 11 Madison the best in the city right now.

http://www.betony-nyc.com/

Among my personal favorites is NoMad, also run by staff formerly of 11 Madison Park. Their chicken is now the stuff of NYC culinary legend. IF I had only a few meals in the city, I would head there for one of them. They do a nice weekend brunch/lunch, too, where you can try a rendition of their famous chicken in a sandwich on brioche.

http://www.thenomadhotel.com/#!/dining/menus/dinner

I do see Colicchio and Sons mentioned here often, and it is always at the top of the TripAdvisor lists which would surprise most locals, but the flagship restaurant of the chain is rarely mentioned. I love Craft and would recommend it. Again, while it is expensive, neither Carft nor his other restaurants are what I consider "fine dining." That is not a comment on the quality, but on the dishes, how they are served, the ambience, and other factors. I generally do not eat at the fine dining temples and like the casual feel of places like Craft or Colicchi and Sons better for non-celebratory dinners. The food will always be great, but not in the "inventive or creative" genre.

I eat out fairly often and would love to help but we would need to know more about what you are looking for. Do you want inventive food, or well-prepared standards? (Gotham and Grammercy will offer a broad menu of the latter; both are excellent restaurants but not what I would call exciting) Steak? Pasta? Are you open to all kinds of food? Do you want a hushed and sedate atmosphere?

There are so many great places here that you might want to consider but again, Jean Georges is in a class by itself as far as your list and I would dine there above the other, in a heartbeat.

If you are looking for a casual restaurant that is not too pricey and that has excellent and inventive food (many dishes have some heat) take a look at Bobby Flay's new place, Gato. One fo the few places where you will see the actual "name" chef in person. (Another is Jean Georges)

If you are looking for great pasta, I would head for one of the Michael White restaurants above Babbo; he is the best pasta chef in the city in my opinion.

http://www.marea-nyc.com/

http://www.costatanyc.com/ (this is White's steak place; I have not been there but from all ccounts, the pasta as great as at his other spots)

Aplogies for the randomness of my post..just a few thoughts that may or may not be helpful.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:40 AM

apologies, too, for the multitude of typos in theh above post.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 06:10 AM
DRJ

My vote goes to the Modern (in MoMA). Elegant surroundings, fine dining.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 07:24 AM

I've eat an all of your choices except Babbo because the atmosphere there doesn't appeal to me. I agree with everything that ekscrunchy has written. If you want an elegant, upscale Italian meal, then I'd recommend Del Posto (next door to Colicchio and Sons).

But I really do think that Jean-Georges is quite a bit of a different experience than all the other choices, which are more casual and less upscale in feel (though no less upscale in price). I admit that I like to dress up for a fine meal, and I wouldn't bother dressing up at any of the other restaurants on your list ... mostly because you don't need to.

But for food, The Nomad has all but Jean-Georges beat in my opinion. It's run by the same chef as Eleven Madison Park and has a menu that is reminiscent of that restaurant's earlier, less 5-star incarnation. My only quibble with The Nomad is that, like Babbo, the music is too loud. It's also too dark and crowded and doesn't feel that special. But the food certainly is special and memorable. You can't go wrong with any of these.

The Modern has a new chef since January, and I haven't been very impressed with my visits, but it does take a while for a chef to settle in. There's a renewed focus on the Dining Room while the Bar Room is being neglected (well, at least in my opinion). It's still a good place to dine, however, but not as good as it was last year.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Le Bernadin .
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much all for the responses. Very useful advice indeed!

Ekscrunchy - to give you more insight, we're actually getting married on October 15th and eating at Eleven Madison Park on the evening of the wedding day (it's just the two of us) and we wanted to go out for another celebration meal the day after.

We're open to lots of kinds of foods, but something in contrast to Eleven Madison Park would be great so we're having a different experience, but it still needs to feel special.

I'm so grateful to you and to Doug for pointing out that Babbo has the kind of atmosphere that it does. I would never have imagined this to be the case and it's not really what I'd want! Last time we were in NYC late last year (we live in the UK) we made the mistake of dining at The Breslin. I was really very let down by this place, not least due to the atmosphere!

From what's been said so far, it looks like Jean Georges is the winner, but I am so happy to hear further suggestions!

Thanks again,
Sarah x
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Congratulations!

Jean Georges will be a great choice. Be sure to let them know about your special occasion.

Unfortunately, many NYC restaurants are shriekingly loud, especially if you dine after 7pm. In this category, along with Babbo, are a few of my current favorites like Perla, Estela, Pearl and Ash, Gato to name just four. It is a persistent problem and has been commented on by many diners, and critics. ( I never found NoMad to be loud because I avoid that center atrium room, which I agree is super-noisy. ) We like the food very much at both ABC Kitchen and ABC Cocina, but have almost stopped going due to the noise level. Modern Bar Room was the same the few times I've been.. (Both of those are good for a casual dinner if you do not mind noise) I have always wanted to eat at The Breslin but have avoided due to comments on the noise level.

How marvelous that you will be married at EMP!!! Just fabulous! I hope you will consider returning here and letting us know the detailsl of your wedding, and your time here in NYC!!
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

I certainly will!

We're actually getting married in the Park, followed by dinner at EMP.

Thanks again - this advice has been extremely useful!
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 08:07 PM

They are all fine,you would enjoy any of them. Do you already have Le Bernardin? Expensive, but amazing.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 11:34 PM

Others may disagree with me, but because you are looking for a memorable experience, I think you should consider Per Se. The tables overlook Central Park and you will see the sunset. It's a lengthy, lovely experience. I realize this restaurant has been surpassed by others in terms of food, but the meal at Per Se is still sure to be a fine one with an excellent and special atmosphere.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 02:33 AM

Great thread. Thanks for the update on the Big Apple dining scene.

I always love any Jean-Georges place (Vong's was one of my favorites) - and bought his cookbook when he opened Prime - at Bellagio - in Las Vegas - and he was visiting for the opening and signed it.

Loved that he had switchblades - fixed in the open position - for steak knives.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 02:34 AM

And while I liked French Laundry in Marin County - did not find Thomas Keller's Per Se to be as inviting. They seemed more concerned about their image and foo foo style.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 02:39 AM

Actually - the French Laundry is up in Napa. Keller had another restaurant in Marin/Mill Valley before that as I recall.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:14 AM

Add me to those a little surprised by Babbo on your list. To me, it's a world away from the other choices. I really like Mario Batali, but the super casual Lupa and even Otto to me are more appropriate for what he does. Babbo just seemed like a lot of fuss over good "trattoria" style cooking.

Le Bernardin remains a favorite of mine -- in fact we did our wedding dinner there (just the two of us after the wedding) after much decision making and we couldn't have been happier with our choice.

Picholine is another that I think could be on that list.

We happen not to be fans of tasting menus where you get a taste or two of lots of different things, leaving you wanting more of a really good thing, or thinking "I could have skipped that", but maybe that's just us. Two, three, or four courses make for a much better evening of dining for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -