Finalizing Carmel/Monterey Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Carmel and Monterey in October and am about to make final reservations on where we will be staying. It is between the Mission Ranch, Carmel Valley Lodge and Seven Gables in Pacific Grove.We are looking for a place between $200 and $300 per night. Any recomendations before we make our final decision?? Also any restaurant recommendations in Carmel and Monterey?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:11 AM

The Pacific's Edge in Carmel and the White House in PG are two very nice places to dine. ***kim***
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Both the Mission Ranch and (especially) the Carmel Valley Lodge are some distance from downtown Carmel, if that matters. It does mean you'll have to find a place to park in town, not always easy. Have you looked at the La Playa Hotel? That would be much more centrally located.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Follow this link to get some local opinion on restaurant ideas.
http://www.coastweekly.com/bestof/2004/
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:01 AM

The Mission Ranch is only a minute to town and is in a wonderful location. You can walk to the beach with ease, stroll the grounds of the property watching the ocean and sheep graze in the meadow. There is a restaurant on the property and is a couple of minutes from the Crossroads Shopping Center where Wasabi Bistro, the best sushi restauarant on the peninsula, is located.

The Seven Gables is right across the street from the ocean and is incredibly beautiful. Do you want a B&B experience in a noiser area but in a beautiful Victorian with lovely ocean views or a cottage experience in a serene area? Carmel Valley Lodge is too far away, I wouldn't bother with that location.

As far as restaurants are concerned, what cuisines do you favor?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Deblynn

The Seven Gables is still our favorite place for my husband & I to stay. It is across from the Ocean, you can open your window and hear the ocean at night. It is beautiful, so much better than being inland, if you can afford it. LaPlaya is nice and we've stayed there, but the rooms are overpriced and small. The service at the Seven Gables cannot be beat. The other place that's nice, is the Cobblestone Inn in downtown Carmel. Within walking distance to shops, the service was magnificent. They delivered complimentary wine to our room for our Anniversary, have wonderful breakfasts, and the rooms are very charming and homey. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM

GREETINGS from Pacific Grove! Blue skies and 65 degrees today. Best place in California!

DINING: CASANOVA in Carmel for European flair. Beautiful restaurant! Likewise FANDANGO in Pacific Grove. BAHAMA BILLYS in the Barnyard Shopping Center, near Mission Ranch, is one of our favorites. For down and dirty good Mexican go to BAHA CANTINA on Carmel Valley Road. Another local favorite is PEPPERS in Pacific Grove. The locals love HULAS in Monterey for great food and good price with Hawaiian flair.

MISSION RANCH and SEVEN GABLES both good choice. Either will make you happy.
The LA PLAYA has a fantastic happy hour during the week that you can make a meal out of. The locals love it!

Have fun here. Gonna pop the top on my convertible and head to Carmel in a few minutes. Surfs up and weather is fantastic!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses. Two other hotels have been brought to our attention Besides Seven Gables and Mission Ranch. Tickle Pink (but we can only afford the standard room) and the Monterey Plaza Hotel. We want to do something different than what we get here on the East Coast. Thanks for the Rest. suggestions. How about the Old Bath House in Pacific Grove.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:57 AM

well right next to tickle pink is the Highlands Inn--a personal favorite of mine--most rooms have a great ocean view and wood-burning fp

and the spot in the inn for breakfast is specatcular
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

The Highlands Inn is too expensive. Do you know about the standard rooms at the Tickle Pink. My husband is leaning towards Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa and I am thinnking about the Mission Ranch.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Two motels in Carmel that we like: The BW Carmel Bay View Inn and the Normandy Inn.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Deblynn

Monterey Plaza is definitely a step down from the Seven Gables. It's on the bay, and you can wake up the the sound of seals in morning, or you can stay at the Seven Gables and hear the ocean and look out your window at the beautiful waves crash the surf. It's so much more and the service and atmosphere at the Seven Gables definitely top the Monterey Plaza.

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM

You will never be sorry staying at the Seven Gables. It is a beautiful place in a spectacular location.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:27 AM

The tickle pink standard room is beautiful, very romantic. I have also stayed at the highlands inn next door more modern, nice double jacuzzi, also very nice, but I prefer Tickle Pink (more romantic),both have balcony's overlooking ocean.No room service at Tickle PInk except for $6 they will bring you a bag of popcorn and 2 sodas on a beautiful tray with a pink rose for you to enjoy with a movie. I have also stayed at the 7 Gables it is lovely, however of the 3 choices I like the Tickle Pink. have fun.If you stay at Tickle or Highlands, take a walk up behind the hotels, beautiful homes and views. You cant go wrong with any of your choices just pick which one feels right, and check out tripadvisor.com
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:53 AM

I agree with Seven Gables over Monterey Plaza.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:41 AM

I've stayed at both the Plaza and the Highland's Inn. Both are very nice. It depends what you like. The Plaza is located in a beautiful setting, valet parking, and the views from the rooftop spa are awesome.

You have to pay a small fee to use the jacuzzi, weight room, etc. but it is well worth it. There are also two very nice restaurants at the Plaza. I prefer the pampering at the Plaza that you won't get at a B&B. Room service, spa, valet parking, etc. You will love the Plaza if you like these things! ***kim***
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Linda, I returned from a trip to the coast of California in May. I have to tell you that during the two weeks we were there, we had one of our best meals in Monterey. In was located on 565 Albrego St. in Monterey. The restaurant was recommended to us by an employee at the hotel that we stayed in. The name of the restaurant is Rene's Bistro. The chef, Rene, visits your table during your meal to see if you are satisfied. Each dish was a work of art. I wanted to lick my dish! We told our waiter that we would pass on an appetizer so that we could order dessert. A few minutes later, he returned with a salad and soup, compliments of Rene. He said that Rene didn't like to see anyone just sitting and not partaking of good food. These appetizers were "on the house". Our waiter was outstanding also. It had a "bistro" atmosphere, with great outdoor seating. I would certainly check this place out during your visit!!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Another great place to eat in PG is the Fishwife...

We go there when we visit from Santa Cruz.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your help. We have decided to stay in Carmel at the Mission Ranch. It seems like it is different and reasonably priced. Anyone actually been there??
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Me again...resident of PG. You will enjoy the Mission Ranch. Have fun. You are close to BAHAMA BILLS in the Barnyard Shopping Center...try it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -