Film-In Checked luggage? or On plane?

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 01:27 PM
fran

Film-In Checked luggage? or On plane?

Any film experts out there? Should I take film in checked luggage, concerned about the heat? Or should I carry it with me, concerned about the x-ray? Which does the least amt of damage?

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 01:40 PM
Howard

There's differing theories about the damage of film by xrays. You'll be totally safe if you hand carry it and then bypass the xray by asking the security people to inspect your film and camera. I do it all the time and have never had trouble with the guards.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 01:50 PM
fran

Howard,
I've been told that the x-ray is so close to the film even when you hand it to security personnel that it really doesn't help. Also, in foreign countries that is not usually acceptable.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 07:52 AM
Howard

Perhaps the best advice is to access www.f-stop.org. It's a website created by some professional photographers with no axes to grind except to educate the public.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Parrot Mom

Have the camera handchecked, but put your extra film in a lead lined film bag--check local camera shops...they are fairly inexpensive...

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 06:58 AM
Bly

On a recent trip - some photographer friends of mine suggested taking the film from the containers and putting them in a heavy duty ziploc bag then putting in a lead bag. This was if security wants to check to see whats in the bag you can lift out the ziploc. This really came in handy coming from Africa into Europe. I just showed them the ziploc, while my traveling companion had to open up every film container. Keep the containers in your checked luggage then transfer film when you get to your destination. b

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 04:57 PM
Donna

We checked our film (exposed and unexposed) on a trip to Paris. Took some in our carry on as well. Went through security four times. Photos came out just fine.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 05:37 PM
Howard

Perhaps the definitive word comes from the current National Geographic Traveler Magazine. It quotes Tom Duffey of the Photographic and Imaging Manufacturers Association as saying, "Never put fim in checked lugage. You're better off putting it through the scanners for carry-on luggage, which emit lower doses of x-ray."
The article then goes on to say "Or do as the pros do: Place rolls of film-without boxes and opaque canisters--in Ziploc bag, and request a hand-check at ech security checkpoint. U.S. airportsare required by the FAA to provide a hand-cehck of belongings if requested."
I hope that resolves the question/dilemma!

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 05:57 PM
TC

I was told by pro photo lab techs prior to a trip to Africa that it is the accumulation of x-ray that harms the film. One pass through might not fog the film, but two or three can. It also depends on the speed and sensitivity of your particular film. I took film out of plastic canisters, placed in zip lock bags and requested hand inspection. This worked with only one hassle in Amsterdam. Good luck.