Fenway Park in June

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fenway Park in June

I will be attending the game Sunday, June 13. Looking for steak/amerian rest. for dinner after, or possibly Italian? We are staying in Boston and have a rental car.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM

If you are staying in Boston, you should NOT use a rental car to get to Fenway. Take a taxi, or better yet take the Green Line T to the Kenmore Square station and follow the crowds to the park (a three minute walk, max).

Good steak/American restaurant after the game... none in the immediate vicinity that I can think of, but about a mile away in Back Bay are Morton's Steakhouse (Boylston St. and Exeter St.), Abe & Louie's (on Boylston St., near the Prudential Center) and The Palm (in the Westin Hotel). If you take the T to the game, all three are within a few minutes of the Copley Station.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:14 PM

Here's a huge recommendation for Abe & Louie's. Reservations essential.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:35 PM

Saw your post on "other topics" and saw you are staying at Seaport Hotel. Listen to aquaman - do not drive to Fenway Park. Either leave your car at the hotel or drive it to where you will have dinner and take the MBTA from there. While the MBTA will be crowded after the game, it can take much longer to try to drive around Fenway - and drunk people walk in front of your car and scare you half to death, roads are so confusing you will regret ever coming to Boston.

If you want Italian food, go to the North End (Haymarket. Govt Center, North Station stops on MBTA depending on which line you are taking). Either walk around until you find something from posted menus that looks good, or do a search here - lots of good suggestions in previous posts.

If you like to walk and it is a nice late afternoon, you could walk to places aquaman suggests (about 1.5-2 miles but a nice walk). Walk down Commonwealth Avenue and then head over to Boylston Street (look at a map - this part of Boston is not confusing).

If you decide to take MBTA Green line, you can beat some of the crowds by walking the opposite direction from the crowds headed to Kenmore MBTA stop to the Fenway stop - fewer people do that. Just make sure you get on an inbound train.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:37 PM

I am now really confused - just checked Red Sox schedule and they have Sunday 6/13 game listed as a night game - you will not find anything open in Boston in the way of real restaurants after a night game.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:57 PM

check with www.chowhound.com on the Boston site and they will give you the exact info you want.. DO NOT DRIVE TO FENWAY!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM

And do not forget:

Yell it out as you enter Fenway. "1918! 1918! Hey people, 1918!!!"

Just kidding. Please don't do that unless you'd like a free tour of a fine Boston emergency room.

Nonetheless,

1918 !!!!!!!!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

To be honest, Gail, I get to choose everything Friday & Saturday, "HE" chose the game on Sunday! Visiting Fenway Park and seeing the Red Sox play has been a somewhat life-long dream. I hope he won't be dissapointed. I do know he's attempted to purchase tickets on "stubhub" or something like that. He is under the impression the game begins at 14:00. I'm just along for the ride.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:01 AM

If he has not already purchased tickets, try not to sit in sections of right field 3-5 (you can see seating chart on Redsox.com). These are the seats that make people want to take a demolition crane to Fenway. Seats are angled towards a billboard in left field and one must turn at a back-torturing angle to see action.

If he has already purchased tickets, then have a nice time anyway. June is usually a great time to see Red Sox. Would be curious what his comments are on Fenway after actually seeing a game there, especially if he has been to other parks for MLB.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:47 AM

The Red Sox game on Sunday, June 13 starts at 8:05 PM (i.e., 20:05), not 14:00.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...bos&m=6&y=2004
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

20:05 game? That will make our 6:00 a.m. flight Monday morning a little rough. Thanks for the input...what are the chances of purchasing tickets there? Not possible, too expensive?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Upon checking Red Sox site, it appears there are no tickets left for this game. That leaves you to buy from illegal scalpers or ticket agencies. For most Red Sox games, there are all sorts of people looking to buy or sell tickets close to the ballpark. This is illegal in Massachusetts, lots of people transact ticket business this way without problems, and a few get caught. You will have to make your own decision on this one. Tickets can also be bought from various on-line or regular ticket agencies. This is legal and expensive.

As the opponent for that date is LA Dodgers, it could have an either high or low interest value to Boston fans. The weather will influence street ticket prices.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM

its probably a long shot, but the Red Sox have not yet put on sale either the Green Monster seats, or the brand new seats on the right field roof. I don't know if individual seats will be available, or if it will be possible to get them over the web. Last year they sold most of the monster seats as group seats, and sold them at the Fenway box office. But you might keep your eyes open for this.

Also, another long shot, is they sometimes sell standing room tickets on the day of the game. However, I believe these go onsale early in the day.

The interleague games have been very popular, and do tend to sell out. You certainly might be able to buy from scalpers on the street before the game. Price will depend, as Gail noted, on weather, and also on the pitching matchups. If Pedro or Schilling is pitching, scalpers will get more $$$. I haven't done this (really...its illegal ) but my guess is you will pay a minimum of 50% over face value for the tickets. and, of course, Fenway has the most expensive ticket prices in MLB.

this is going to be a tough year to go to Fenway. There have already been record sales. lots of weekend games sold out. even weekday afternoon games, against the Tigers, in August, and all you can find are bleacher seats. its unbelievable.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:29 PM

If it were me I'd throw myself on the mercy of the owners of the Red Sox..Write to John Henry and explain your predicament or Theo Epstein...and write to them... I know they are probably in Florida now... Check out a few of the other owners. These guys are fan friendly and I think John Henry walks around the outside concourse talking to people and has been known to swap seats for people...IT CAN'T HURT...LOL
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM

I am not a red sox fan but my wife dragged me to a game a couple of years ago. Had one of the most memorable experiences at a baseball game I have ever had. We are sitting down the left field line, first batter hits a line drive off the monster. Thunk, was the sound. Held to a long single. The fans, the setting, only Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium can compare. Also, do not drive. Take the T. The ride home, if they win, is an experience.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM

I ate at Abe and Louie's for my husband's b-day and was very disappointed by the service. If you're not "someone" they tend to get to you when they can. Went to Capital Grille for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. That's on Newbury Street.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

After reading responses I just can't wait to go sit in the bleacher section for nine innings watching a sport that just "doesn't do it for me"....but I guess that's what love is all about!! How about we skip the game and just take a tour of Fenway Park? One would have to be a true fan of baseball and their team to suffer through traffic, wandering drunks (as gail notes), and the agony acquiring tickets. Maybe we'll just watch it on ESPN in the hotel room! Gail, I've flown into Boston each trip to Maine and the roads are always confusing, I must say I've regretted coming through Boston more than once.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:51 AM

With the Big Dig finished it's a snap getting anywhere...except driving around downtown. If you do sit in the bleachers look for the "red seat"..where Ted Williams hit the longest ball.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I visited Fenway Park last June to see an interleague matchup with St. Louis. It was an incredible experience. You wouldn't believe the number of fans from St. Louis who made the trip for the 3-game series. I second the recommendation to avoid the right field area under the pavillion. Very uncomfortable with big beams obstructing your view. But the atmosphere was electric! On a side-note, the music played between innings and before batters kept the fans hoppin' and happy. Especially "Sweet Caroline"... EVERYBODY sang along to that one! Not sure why... but it was great.

And take the ballpark tour if you have a chance. You can walk right up to the Green Monster. It's all dented up like a golf ball.

And Boston public transportation is great... especially to and from the airport and the ballpark.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:16 AM

In all seriousness you must experience the "Fenway" experience by being there.. The new owners have made the whole place fan friendly. They have converted the street around the park to a concourse with all sorts of food booths. We here in Boston take our baseball very seriously... and I mean seriously..we live and die with each game and each ball pitched. Normar, Mannie, David, know that and until the players play in Boston they haven't played ball with fans who know their baseball..So far we know this year that Nomar is ticked, we haven't seen Mannie show up inFlorida and Curt Schilling is about to experience the Boston Red Sox Experience...this town lives and dies for them... They say that G-d forgives everybody....but not Grady Little..lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -