Search

Fenway Park

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fenway Park

Where is a good hotel to stay while visiting fenway park?
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM

The area immediately around Fenway is not necessarily where I would recommend you stay. Answer would depend on how much time you will be in Boston and what else you plan to do while here. The area would be listed in hotel search as Fenway or Kenmore Square, but there are parts of Brookline that are also relatively close. But there really are not many hotels very close to Fenway. It is bordered by Massachusetts Turnpike, several colleges, and a residential/apartment area. Closest nice hotel is a new one in Kenmore Square (sorry, do not remember name). Also very close to park is an ugly motel-type place that used to be a Howard Johnsons and I don't know if it still is. There is a Holiday Inn in Brookline that would be public-transportation accessible.

Fenway is on Green Line of MBTA which can easily (although in a crowd) take you to better parts of Boston to stay in (Back Bay, Downtown, Faneuil Hall, Copley areas for example).
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

my husband and son and a friend and his son are driving up from NJ to see a yankee - Red Sox game. They do not plan to do anything except see the game.
That is why I wondered about staying near the stadium.
Melissa
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I would stay in the Backbay/Copley area. You can walk to and from the park or take the subway. Use Priceline since you aren't really hotel sensitive. (We got the Marriot Copley for a great rate.) I also recommend the Fenway Park stadium tour. This was a highlight of a recent baseball trip my family took.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:21 PM

We did the same thing summer before last and stayed at the Eliot. Drove into town. Checked into the hotel. Walked to the game. It was great. The website makes it look very fancy, but they were extremely friendly and gracious -- even when our carsick child threw up right in the vestibule.
http://www.eliothotel.com/
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM

How did they manage to get tickets to a Yankees-Red Sox game? Hope they have a good time and the right team wins.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:09 PM

If there are no more than two of you, per room, my recommendation would be to visit BFT and learn to bid on Priceline. In the alternative, you could try Hotwire.

It really doesn't matter where you stay in Boston, as you can get to Fenway Park easily via the "T" or a taxi. And, you really can stay in a 4* property at 2* prices with Hotwire and Priceline. And, since you'll have a car to park, if you're driving up, the savings will more than cover overnight parking at the hotel (but you can park for less nearby yourselves).
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I think that new hotel that Gail mentioned is the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore square.

I hope you're family is not coming for the Yankee series at the end of July...the Democractic national convention will be in town, and if you don't have a hotel already you might as well plan to sleep in New Hampshire, or in the car somewhere...its going to be really booked around here.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Melissa,

I sure hope that they are Sox fans,

Rooting for the evil empire while in Fenway could be hazardous.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:10 AM

Take Dick's caution somewhat seriously, especially if sitting in bleachers. As in many places, rooting for the visiting team is best done with some discretion and moderation. (Although no one in Toronto seemed to care who was playing, much less who won when we were there).

There will be some knucklehead drunks looking for at least an arguement if they cheer loudly for the Yankees. Don't want to give the impression, though, that Fenway is unsafe - just a mild caution.

Fenway is the only place likely to erupt in profanity-laced chants about a team when they are not even playing that day (Several loud chants of "Yankees S##k erupted at a Tampa-Boston game we were at last year) You may want to take home as a memento a t-shirt with same saying - they are for sale on the street outside Fenway. Not recommended for wearing to church, school or office - my kids bought me one for my birthday and are wondering why I never wear it.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

They are going the last sunday in september. and yes, they are all New York fans.
Yes, I hope that they will cheer quietly, if the yankees are winning.Now, I have to research your hotel suggestions. There are four of them so I don;t think Priceline is a good idea??
The only way to get the tickets was thru a scalper.

Thanks

Melissa
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Melissa - we will also be at that game (got tickets in December) and will be cheering when Red Sox win AL East on that day.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

well,I hope that all of you have a great day. for myself, I would rather be at fenway , like last summer, to see Bruce springsteen.

Are you season ticket holders?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Melissa - your family shouldn't be surprised to see that many of the fans at the Yankee games in September root for the the Evil Empire. Its that influx of New Yorker college students attending BU, BC etc. I've been to a few games that the ratio was almost 50/50 Yankee fans to Red Sox fans. Its a great rivalry that is sure to be particularly fierce this season after the playoffs last season and the ARod deal. Go Sox!!!

As far as hotels, the Hotel Commonwealth is the closest. The Elliot is only slightly further away. The Sheraton and the BAck Bay Hilton somewhat further but are easy walks also. Don't try to drive there or even a taxi is a pain because of the traffic. Walking is the easiest - you just follow the crowds.

Can't wait for baseball to start. We've got our tickets to 6 games. Unfortunately we couldn't get Yankee games. Cowboy UP!!!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:58 AM
al

Hotels in Boston can get pretty expensive, but you might get lucky with the Midtown Hotel which is near the green line and also walkable to Fenway Park, or I think there's a Hojo's right in Kenmore Square that won't break the bank.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Melissa
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:34 AM

And never forget . . .
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:22 PM

I just wanted to post to bring this up over the Yankee Stadium Post. Alex Rodriguez - so what!!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Let's all us Red Sox fans join into a group therapy together on Yawkee Way, but the Yankees don't have pitchers now... Wasd there ever a sports rivalry so strong...nobody else in either leagues has anything close to it..GO SOX!!!!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Well, ParrotMom, I am not only a long-suffering Red Sox fan, I am also a UNC Tar Heels fan, and our rivalry with Duke is perhaps stronger than any other in any sport. Let's just say I have a hard time with teams that wear dark blue (yes, being a Redskins fan I don't like the Cowboys either).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -