Reload this Page >

Feb. School Vacation -where to go

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:52 AM
Sue O.

We are 50 year olds who like exploring, seeing new things and moderate (60-70 degree) weather. We have a week during school vacation in February and are looking for a place to go that isn't overrun by the kids off. We can beach it somewhat, but need other things to do. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:36 AM
xxx

Sue: When is February break? We would like to avoid it also. When you say something new, I guess we have to know where you have been. Also do you want to stay in the lower 48 or are you open to international?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Beth

School vacation week for New Englanders is either the third or fourth week in February. So if you are not bound by that vacation week, go early February to avoid your neighbors!
Most New England families go to Florida, with a few heading off to the Carribbean - in particular the Caymans, Bahamas, and BVI.
To have a more adult vacation, I'd head right off to New Mexico! Although I've never been, I've heard and read wonderful things about Santa Fe - and I cannot convince my kids (11&13) to even consider it! Also parts of Arizona, as described on this board, sound lovely.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:25 AM
chuck

Sue,

your temperature requirement of 60-70 in February is going to limit you somewhat. With all due respect to Santa Fe, (went there in early October and loved it), it will be colder than that.

I suggest Key West. My wife & I (39 and 40 respectively) went there in February a few years back and loved it. Temp was about 70-75, lots to do in a small area. Wide variety of people and styles. Various excursions are available--snorkeling, day trip to the Dry Tortugas, dinner cruise on a sailing ship. I don't think you'll run into spring break until March. The only madness will be the cruise passengers offloading occasionally, but the disembarkation times are publicized so you can give that area a wide berth when you need to. Lots of neat B&B's.

Wherever you go, have a great time!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Suzie

Went to Palm Springs this last February. It was very nice, no kids did I see. Stayed at the Renaissance Esmarelda and had a fabulous dinner at Le St. Germaine, fabulous waiter, Willie, was so great and fun too. Had drinks at a place called the Nest or something like that. It was a riot. Older crowd with the sweaters tied around their shoulders. Also ate at Al Dente in Palm SPrings village and had a great meal there too. Very intimate and, if warm enough, you can eat outside on the patio. Flew into Onterio rented a car and drove to Palm Springs.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:26 AM
kam

Suzie's suggestion of Palm Springs is good. You can also explore the Joshua Tree and Anza-Borrego Desert Park at this time of year before it gets too hot. Two other suggestions are San Diego and Santa Barbara--neither will be beach weather, but there's lots to do and see. Other than California, two places on my must do list are Charleston and San Antonio--sound great to me.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:09 PM
sam

The mountains (volcanos) in Costa Rica.
Coffee plantations, wonderful food, nice local people, fair prices, very clean places to stay. In Feb. it would be warm unless you went up in the mountains. Thats also one of the best times to see an active volcano. I love this country. Book a place to stay and they will pick you up at the airport. Fodors Guide is great for Costa Rica. I have used it 3 years in a row.