favorite Hawaiian memory

Search

favorite Hawaiian memory

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
favorite Hawaiian memory

okay all you Hawaii fans out there: what is your best Hawaiian memory? i was thinking about this the other night and mine would be two years ago snorkeling at Haunama Bay on Oahu. in particular, swimming along by myself wondering how soon it would be before it got really crowded and we'd feel compelled to leave and i felt a presence next to me that i figured was someone invading my space and snorkeling too close to me. when i turned to look it was a big sea turtle. so cool! i know i was smiling hugely behind my snorkel mask, the "crowds" and all the other unimportant stuff forgotten.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:36 PM

This one just happened this summer on Kaua`i. We were returning from Makua (Tunnels) beach and before Hanalei there is this bend that you go around and you get a good view of the bay and the town. We drove around the bend and there hovering above the bay was the brightest, most vivid and colorful rainbow I have ever seen. It literally brought tears to my eyes. I have never seen anything like it. It is moments like that that keep me returning again and again.
-Bill
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:45 PM

Visiting Pearl Harbor in 1998 with my 76 year old Dad. He hadn't been to Hawaii in over 50 years since he was an enlisted man in the Navy. The only thing he said was "Things sure have changed"
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:55 PM

Currently my favorite memory of Hawaii is probably walking along Waikiki at 1 a.m. holding hands with my boyfriend-- he in his tux and me in a formal gown, both of us barefoot -- after my high school prom. But that was 27 years ago.
I leave for Oahu in 2 weeks to make a whole new set of memories.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:21 PM
gyppielou

Running into Bethany, the one armed goddess surfer and watching her surf while talking story with the locals on the pier. And hiking NaPali coast years before and both of us stating at the same time....scatter my ashes here. Home!

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:31 PM
gyppielou

wait there's more, so very much more...favorite Hawaaiian memory...IMPOSSIBLE. Every moment has been wonderful, even the bittersweet moment of losing a best friend. You ask too much stellaluna! I have too many to choose, just gave you a couple in grand mix of joyous moments, favorite moments, simply moments........

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:06 AM

One of my favorite memories: Having a picnic (on a red and white checked plastic tablecloth) on a cliff overlooking the ocean on the road to Hana with me, my husband, and our three teenagers. Wonderful family memories.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:27 AM

The smell! The glorious smell! I didn't expect the whole state to smell like frangipani, ginger, etc...what a wonderful thing! It came wafting through the home we rented...made me want to just sit there and sniff.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

please keep them coming! this is great!
mahalo everyone! can never get too much Hawaii!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:08 AM

The sunsets!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:23 AM

Seeing the lava flow at night and swimming in a heated pond at night under the brilliant stars in Kapoho, Big Island.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:36 AM
bonniebroad

My first trip to Hawaii, twenty years ago, was also the occasion of my first flights. We flew from Washington to N.Y. to L.A. to Honolulu, first-class on Pan Am (back when first-class service knocked your socks off - it was a 20th anniversary gift to us, the airline ticket.) When the lights of Honolulu appeared on the horizon around midnight, it was a magical sight. Then we walked out of the airport with the fragrant breezes swirling around us; someone who would become a dear friend put a creamy white plumeria lei, with it's heavely fragrance, around my neck, and kissed me on both cheeks. That's when my love affair with Hawaii began; it has never ended!

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:44 AM

I can't pick one...

1. Snorkeling at Kahuluu - so many fish and turtles. If you start early, not many people either.

2. Walking across the steaming Kilauea Iki crater at VNP, then back into rainforest. Amazing place all around.

3. Floating in Ahalanui (name probably butchered) volcanically heated pool in the Puna district. Toasty warm water, right next to the ocean, hearing the waves crash, surrounded by coconut trees. So relaxing.

4. Taking a tour up Mauna Kea and seeing the shadow of the volcano against the sky as the sun set. I didn't know that could happen.

5. Dinner at Cheeseburgers in Paradise on Waikiki my last night. Listening to music, with food and a fruity drink in hand, watching the sun set and the waves roll in. Sad to be leaving, but so content after a fabulous trip.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:05 AM

The looks on my childrens faces with each new experience. The awe and wonder as they looked at lava flowing, snorkeled with multitudes of fish, and watched the sun set over the ocean as we ate a delicious dinner. These are burned in my memory for ever.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:56 AM

A picnic lunch at Haunama Bay back when you just drove up, parked your car, and walked down the stone steps to all that beauty.

First morning and still on Eastern Time, early breakfast at the second story Denny's at the ocean side, watching the full moon setting through the palm trees over the waves.

The birth of my daughter at Tripler Army Hospital, long ago.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

Our first trip to Hawaii, we arrived on Kaua'i on Christmas Day and had Christmas dinner on the patio at the Beach House. After leaving cold, dark, rainy Portland, OR to be sitting outside drinking mai tais, watching the sunset and enjoying a wonderful meal was simply magic.

But this is just one wonderful Hawaiian memory. There are so many more.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:49 AM

Watching the sunrise over the Kapoho lagoons, planting a coconut sprout at the new black sand beach forming on the BI at the end of the red road, walking to Akaka Falls on the BI through banyans, bamboo and two story ginger plants, driving the Hamakua Coast (BI) - (brought tears to my eyes), snorkling with sea turtles at Kahalu'u, waking up to the bird chorus in the mornings - I love Hawaii, especially the BI. 16 more days until I am there again!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:28 AM

I live in Hawaii - and it's often that in the hustle and bustle of everyday life it's residents forget that we live in such a beautiful place.

Reading all of these great memories really made me pause and think of how lucky I am. I especially could relate to the turtle sighting - I go diving almost every weekend and I always see turtles - it's a thrill every time.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM

It happened during our 2nd trip to Hawaii which was Maui. I was up really early our first morning there, around 0430 and went out for a jog. Well it was pretty cool to be out that early anyway. Seems you have the place to yourself. On the way back right in front of my eyes was a mango tree, ripe, with fresh fruit on the ground. I scooped up as many as I could and sped back to our hotel with this most fortunate bounty. It may sound corny but I sure felt very lucky that day. As my wife loves mangoes she too found this pretty neat. Mahalo.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM

Making breakfast on the BI when we were staying at a coffee farm. We'd go out and pick a papaya or two, and then an orange or a tangerine; then we'd gather some mac nuts. We'd chop up the nuts and sprinkle them over the papaya, and squirt some citrus juice over that.
The most amazing memory, though, is the "green flash" - we were lucky enough to see it twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -