Favorite car rental agencies???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had an exceptionally good or bad experience with any of the major car rental agencies?

I am trying to book a car and am getting really confused!

Also, how does one go about getting the best rates? Thanks.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:08 PM

I have had only good experiences with Hertz and Enterprise. Terrible luck with Alamo--so I am avoiding that company in the future.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Once we waited for almost two hours to pick up an Alamo car in California -- most disorganized place I ever saw. Otherwise, I go for the best price, but I must say my recent National rentals have been really pleasant experiences -- particularly treatment at the check-in.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Dan

Hertz and National were my favorites, but National's now part of Alamo. Ugh.

Hertz it is!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Hetz, because we got a free Hertz gold card through Sprint. Was only supposed to be for one year. But we ended up having the free gold card for five years, long after we stopped using Sprint.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM

I agree completely on the Alamo comments. We had paid in advance confirmed rental until we arrived and they had given out their last car 6 hours before in Orlando. We were one of the lucky one's, since we had pre-paid, we only waited an hour, everyone else was lined up out the door for hours.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:45 PM

National is now part of Alamo?? You sure know how to ruin my day, Dan!!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Uh oh - before I checked the post responses I booked the heapest - ALAMO! Well, I can always cancel.

Thanks for your responses!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:06 PM

We've rented from Alamo several times without problems. We've also had good experiences with Dollar and Payless.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:11 PM

Alamo came good when it really mattered though!!
Last month, we rolled our Alamo car in the Arizona desert - a write-off, but we weren't hurt. (WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS!!)
The same day,Alamo replaced the car with a new one, and we were underway as though nothing had happened. A bit surreal, actually.
Through the towing company, they wanted us to stay overnight in Kingman AZ, whilst they brought the new car from Vegas, but when my husband rang them directly, they obliged, and brought it the same day.

They may keep you waiting to pick up the car etc, but they came when we really needed them, and deserve credit for this.

They also upgraded our car to a larger one, which we were thankful for too, especially when the accident happened..
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:47 PM

When I had a travel-heavy job and expense account, I only used Hertz ... easy to book, #1 Gold service, never disappointed but then I never compared rates, either.
Now that the dollars are mine, I'm giving Enterprise email-special-rate in Vegas a try in 2 weeks. Opt-in'ing for email specials might be worth the savings, we'll see!
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

How about Thrifty?

Anyone out threr have any experience with them???
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:51 PM

I rent regularly from Thrifty and have always had good service. Keep in mind though that Thrifty (and I'm sure other companies) has franchised locations as well as company owned. Service can differ depending on ownership.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 06:04 PM

I've booked hotels nearly exclusively with Priceline and Hotwire in recent years, along with car rentals, either during or after the hotel bidding process, at ridiculously low rates (I always shop around like the dickens first, and even way lower than my husband gets with his corporate discounts). So far, we've always been booked with Hertz or Avis - great service, nice cars, no problems.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I'll use any car rental company except Alamo; we've had horrible experiences with the staff high-pressuring us to take extra insurance that we didn't need and threatening all kinds of dire things if the car had so much as a scratch.

Otherwise, I usually search Expedia and Travelocity and go with whoever's cheapest. The rates can vary wildly, so it really pays to shop around.

If you're picking up a car at an airport, sometimes the pricier agencies (Hertz, Avis) have faster, more convenient pickup locations & services, if time is an issue for you. Also the pricier agencies are more likely to be frequent-flyer partners with major airlines, again if that is important to you.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Another thumbs down for Alamo. Thumbs up for Enterprise; Hertz is great if your company is paying!

I always visit Travelocity for the best rates, then call the pick-up point directly to do the booking so I can plead for a preferred type of car; Enterprise always works with me. They'll generally match the Travelocity rate over the phone, which always seems to be lower than a dozen other discount rates I could get.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:50 AM

I have had good luck with Avis and Dollar. Bad luck with Alamo.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Oh, my God, don't even get me started on Alamo. We had horrendous experiences with them in several places, although it was tempting to go back because they do offer good rates. But a good rate for terrible service is no bargain. Lately we've had excellent luck with Avis, and the rates aren't bad either.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Okay guys - I cancelled my Alamo reservation! It all sounds too awful and we will need to get out the airport in a hurry!

Thanks for all of the input.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:34 PM

My bosses deal with Hertz and Avis and say they never have a problem. Only thing is, these are typically 2 of the most expensive car rental agencies for most locations.

I deal with Budget all the time and never have a problem. Only once I got charged the wrong rate, but they credited me right away, and even gave me an upgrade coupon for my trouble! (Which I usually never worry about, since I usually get upgraded from them most of the time!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -