Favorite Bookstores in Boston Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciated the ideas for activities at night. I also hope to spend some time browsing in bookstores in Boston or Cambridge. Does anyone have a favorite to suggest? I'm especially interested in cookbooks. Also, any unique gourmet food shops, or antique shop ideas would also be helpful.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM

You might do well to track down a copy of the Book Hunter Press guide to New England used book stores.

They do a nice job in evaluating them, and it can be a real time-saver if you're in a strange area with limited time available.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM

I love used book stores, and I can't exactly place the name, but I think it was Brattle Books
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I didn't see the posting and posted again. Sorry. Where is Brattle books located?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:18 PM

a lot of the bookstores are disappearing (amazon??). anyway, on the gourmet food shop front, there is a wonderful cheese shop called formaggio kitchen. they have two locations, one in the south end (tucked away a bit) and one in cambridge (on Huron Avenue, I believe). this is also a little tucked away.

the South End, is where all of the best restaurants are. there is just one after the next. most recently we went to Toro, a tapas restaurant and really enjoyed it. I also had Sunday brunch recently at Tremont 647 - not only was the food excellent it was also very reasonably priced. our all time favorite is Aquitaine. and we always enjoy drinks and appetizers in the bar/lounge at Mistral.

for antique shopping, try Charles Street in Beacon Hill. At the end farthest from the Public Garden there is a gourmet grocery store called Savenor's.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:18 PM

For used bookstores, my favorite is Brattle Bookstore near the Boston Common see:
http://www.brattlebookshop.com

For other used bookstores in New England and the Boston area see:
http://www.mariab.org/

Have fun! K.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM

Since the OP did not specify "used," we mustn't leave out the New England Mobile Book Fair in Newton, one of the least-mobile emporiums I have ever seen.

http://www.nebookfair.com/
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM

A great bookstore is Brookline Booksmith in Coolidge Corner. It was just named the best in the annual Boston magazine best of Boston.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM

For cookbooks, my favorites are the "Bargain" tables at Borders or Barnes & Noble. Anything of interest on the regular shelves I order online when I get home as the discount far exceeds S&H (especially with Amazon "supersaver" (free) shipping).
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM

Downstairs at the Harvard book store in Harvard Sq. area on Mass. Ave.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM

Aside from the chains, Trident Booksellers & Cafe can be fun to stroll thru, and it's open till midnight, which is good for a night owl like me - it's on 338 Newbury St.
the link to their site is
ttp://tinyurl.com/plq4y

Here's a link to new and used bookstores in Cambridge you might find useful:
http://tinyurl.com/p3zal
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM

Maybe you want to consider going on the North end Market tour - the link is
www.northendmarkettours.com

this sounds right up your alley and is wonderful - I know it's not a book store, but it's all about tasting, visitng shops, learning about food, recipes, I think you would enjoy it. I knwo it isn't at night, but you should check out this link anyway. I thnk the latest tour is around 3pm and they last about 3 hours.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM

I rememeber a mystery-genre only bookstore on Newberry St. Anyone know if it's still there?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:21 AM

I was going to recommend the north end tour, too. Before the tour I had never eaten fresh figs or fennel before. Bought some figs to bring home from a pushcart vendor at Haymarket. The shops we visited had some interesting ingredients both fresh and canned.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:29 AM

The mystery-books store on Newbury Street was Kate's; not sure if it's still around.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:09 AM

oooo, dfrost....that's where I got my fig recipe from too - stuffed w/ marscapone, wrapped in prosciutto, a bit of rosemary olive oil and on the grill they go.......eating them brings back memories!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM

please, escargot, I've plateaued on my diet with all the wonderful summer foods available right now. I started the diet the weekend we went on the tour. I had planned to eat sensibly. HA! Well figs are good for you, I'm sure, but I went back to the pastry shop, the deli place (sorry, can't remember the correct name but the place with the $100 balsamic vinegar), and had to have more lemon slush.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM

Escargot, do you take out the seeds from the figs before stuffing? Those stuffed and grilled figs sound perfect for a dinner I am having this weekend!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM

escargot....that sounds so good. Would you share the recipe?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
sistahlou

Well while waiting to here from escargot....

I slice em, snip off the ends and stuff them with a fine gorganzola then toss them in the oven to bubble. Meanwhile I trim proscuitto, the best you can find, and freshen it with the best olive oil you can find, and lay it on a platter. Top it with the figs and drizzle with a reduced balsamic vinegar.....ooohhhlalaaaaa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -