Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Favorite B&B's in New Orleans Garden District?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Ess

Airfares to NO from NYC are VERY reasonable right now. My boyfriend and I are considering a fall visit, and would like to stay at a b&b in the garden district. I would love to hear any personal recommendations. In the past, I've always stayed at larger hotels in the french quarter, so thought we'd do something different this time. My boyfriend's never been to NO before. I'm looking for something moderate in price (not over $100 per night - if that's not impossible?) Don't mind something a little quirky as long as it's clean. Thank you very much in advance for your comments and advice.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Joma

Don't stay at the Pontchartrain Hotel!! I know it's not a B&B, but wanted to warn you anyway. Definitely doesn't live up to the standard of "clean"!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:59 AM
John

Ess, be prepared to spend a little more in the fall as it's the "high season"...$125-175 is probably more realistic. The Chimes gets great reviews but often books months in advance. You may also want to check out www.bbnola.com, the website for the Professional Innkeepers Association of New Orleans. Enjoy!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Meg

If you can't find something in the Garden District but are interested in something different from the Quarter, maybe you can find a B&B in the Marigny, which the neighborhood just across Esplanade from the Quarter. It's a neat place with interesting bars and restaurants and music venues. It's not touristy at all and has a totally different feel from the Quarter.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Ess

I had a feeling $100/night might be just a wee bit unrealistic for that time of year. But it never hurts to ask! Thanks, Joma, John and Meg. I'll check out your suggestions. I may post some follow-ups!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:09 AM
sara

I'm not sure about the prices, but we had our wedding and spent the night at the Columns Hotel on St. Charles Street. They have a website... thecolumns.com
All of our guests loved it.