FANTASTIC and inexpensive food in san diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:12 AM
foodie

Hi

I'm hoping for some great suggestions of places for a family of 4 to eat in San Diego. We are ABSOLUTELY PASSIONATE about food and staying downtown (have managed to get the Grand Hyatt for $70 through priceline -- yippee!!!) and we are on a REALLY tight budget. We will also have a couple of days where we need to stay in the Hotel Circle area (the Town & Country) where I will be at a conference.

We'll be doing day trips to Coronado, Old Town, Balboa etc. - so any suggestions for eating in those areas would also be great.

We love Chinese/Thai/Mexican/Seafood/Californian food (but not fast food). Our kids are 7 and 9 and happily eat 'adult' food.

I'm really looking forward to your suggestions - I've had such great input from this forum.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:42 AM
lynette

Haven't been there in a long time but their used to be a great greek place in th "Gas Lamp area." ( Maybe its Gas light?) They had live entertainment and it was fun to watch the dancers while eating. Also, not gourmet by any means, but yummy and cheap, is the Old Spaghetti Factory, same area, and if you haven't been before, your kids will get a kick out of it because you sit in beds! Have a great time, San Diego is wonderful!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Erin

Although it is fast food, Roberto's has some of the best Mexican in SD.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Lucy

I have some very helpful suggestions. However, I really wouldn't want to subject you to my presence if we happened to dine at the same time. My extremely low level of intelligence would probably bother you so much that you wouldn't be able to enjoy your meal, so I'll go ahead and spare you. Maybe you'd feel most comfortable at the Outback Steakhouse...I'm sure they would relish you helpful Aussie advice.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:20 AM
ingrid

Hi Alex and others,
we'll be in La Jolla and San Diego next April and interested in the same question/answers. Although my kids aren't as sophisticated as foodie's (they are 10 and 12 but American, after all), we'd appreciate some suggestions for good food in La Jolla that might be appropriate for kids who eat Mexican, Afghan, European, Chinese, and have tried escargots, sea urchin, etc. but don't like them.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Kim

A place to eat dowtown La Jolla with your kids is called Tamarindo (checkout their website at www.tamarindousa.com) Good adult food, and they have COTTON CANDY on the dessert menu. They serve it on a great big plate with chocolate sprinkles on the top. We ordered one for my daughter (age 7), and then immediately every other child in the place talked their parents into ordering them one, too!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Yank

Hi

I can't give you the names of the restaurants but when we were in San diego we totally enjoyed the Mexican restaurants in their Old Town section. We also had seafood down on their waterfront. San Diego was a great town we enjoyed it a lot. Only thing that bugged me was going to Tijuna (sp?), I found that to be frightening. La Jolla was really nice and I think you should do fine on your budget. Have a good time while you're in the states.