Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Famous movie settings in NYC - where are they?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Oscar

My husband and I are huge movie fans and we are shortly going to be making our first trip to NYC. Apart from the obvious "must see" sights, I thought it would be quite cool to try and see the locations of famous movie scenes (if they indeed exist!) Top on the list would be "Central Perk" in Friends - is this an actual coffee shop? If so, can you provide a street location - and any other possible famous scenes?? This could be fun! (And yes, we ARE very sad people!)

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:57 AM
gc

The bridge across 42 street to Grand central is where Will Smith chased aliens in MIB. At the 1964 Worls Fair towers in Queens near LaGuardia and Mets stadium, the alien ate Tommy Lee Jones.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Howard

Sorry, but the coffee shop in Friends doesn't exist in real life. It's a set.
One of the grandfathers of all the NYC movie locations is the top of the Empire State Building, the site of many films from An Affair to Remember to Sleepless in Seattle. Then, there's Times Square, most recently seen in Tom Cruise's Vanilla Sky.
Hell, the whole city's a movie set!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Mary

There's a book out called Manhattan on Film which lists a lot of movie locations from all over the city. The book has been out for a few years, but he's coming out with another book at the end of September. I bought it when it first came out, and it's really fascinating.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:38 AM
ny

SilverCup Studios in Queens

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:53 AM
damn

Well the World Trade Center is a famous movie site...oh wait some fundamentalist terrorist assholes took that away from us...sorry.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Josh

There are lots of Seinfeld sites to see. In fact, I suggest having a bowl of soup at Soup Kitchen International, the "soup nazi". It is located on 55th at 8th Avenue and is incredibly good. You don't say when you are going, but I think he closes for the summer.

The real life Kramer, upon whose life the show's character was loosely based runs a "Seinfeld reality tour" which takes you by bus to a number of Seinfeld sites in the city.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:18 AM
tommy

The apartment building that they show in Friends as that of Monica, Rachel, etc is on the southwest corner of Bedford and Grove in the West Village. Many scenes from movies and television are located in that neighborhood. For example, nearby St. Lukes Pl. was used as the the Huxtable's house in Cosby, and was also the setting of the Audrey Hepburn movie Wait Until Dark.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:30 AM
tommy

Sorry, that should be southeast corner of Grove and Bedford.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:07 AM
nycer

Tiffany's of course on 5th Avenue! It has changed very little from the scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:25 AM
x

Tom's Restaurant of Seinfeld fame is at 112th and BRoadway. The DAkota (Rosemary's Baby) is at 72nd and Central Park West.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Steven Speilberg

Friends is not a movie... yet... thank god.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:18 AM
me

The soccer field in Stuart Little 2, is on Clarkson and Hudson sts in lower Manhattan but it's actually used for little league, not soccer.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Serena

Many movie have been shot around Central Park. I was trying to remember the name of a thriller that featured the boat house. I keyed information on movies with Central Park in the background. A list of movie made in New York and the year they came out was found at this web site. You might try doing that if you are interested.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Statia

Serendipty...from the movie, of course. They have great lunches and desserts.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:06 AM
xxx

Oscar asked for movie locations, not how good the dessert is.

The Apartment building from "Ghostbusters" is on Central Park West - anyone out there have the exact address? Also the NY Public library was used for this movie, and the Ghostbuster firehouse is also real, not a set . . .location?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
me

"When Harry Met Sally" - Washington Square Park & Katz's Deli on E. Houston St. "Searching for Bobby Fischer" _ Washingon Sq. Park, South West corner whree they play chess. "Ghost Busters" was also filmed in various location around Central Park.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:13 AM
BTilke

Since you didn't say they had to be GOOD movies, the nice apartment Howard Stern had in Private Parts was on the top floor of the apartment building The Boulevard, on Broadway between 86th and 87th. The building also has been used in several Law and Order episodes (they filmed one in the summer of '98 when we were living in the building).

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Elizabeth

Rosemary's Baby--the Dakota, CPW at 72nd Street

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Barb

The restaurant in the lobby of the Edison was a set for some famous scene in The Godfather (shooting scene?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -