Family Vacation Los Angeles to San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone, looking for tips on a trip starting in Los Angeles and working our way to San Francisco. Travel Time: first week of July for 10 days. 2 adults and 2 fourteen year old boys.
Here's our plan so far;
day 1 - santa monica or laguana beach
day 2,3,4 - Los Angeles - stay in W. Hollywood and do LA tourist stuff - no Disney, but we'll Universal for a day, other suggestions for the teens?
Day 5 - drive to Malibu, then Santa Barbara - sleep in Santa Barbara?
Day 6 - early morning - drive to Hearst Castle, spend half day in that area - now here's where debate starts, sleep at Cambria? or leave Hearst Castle around by 2 or 3pm and drive to Carmel or Monterey
if I don't stay in Cambria, we would sleep in Carmel or Monterey for 2 nights.
Day 8 - head to San Francisco for the duration of our trip (3 days)
in San Fran, staying in Fisherman's Wharf - do Alcatraez, Giants game, Golden gate bridge, etc.
Is it worth trying to squeeze a drive into Napa? or too much.

i've already done a bunch of research, all tips and advice much appreciated.
thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With boys that age, drive up to Monterey that afternoon. I would skip Napa. Plenty of other places to try wine on the way north.

With the boys, you may want to stop near Pismo and go to the dunes. We did a Hummer tour. So fun. Or go on dune buggies.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 08:12 AM

If you happen to be in the area at lunchtime, this bakery is very good, and the bread is fabulous!

http://www.hushharborartisanbakery.com/
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Yes, that's a great bakery but it's a bit out of the way if they are driving up the coast!

After the Hearst Castle tour, stop by the elephant seal rookery just about 4 miles north of the castle. The boys will enjoy seeing these huge creatures. I would keep driving up to the Monterey area instead of staying the night in Cambria, mainly so you have more time in Monterey. Make a quick stop at McWay Falls (about an hour north of the castle) for some great photo ops.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Oops, you're right Austin - we were driving down 101 when we stopped there recently (thanks Yelp!)
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Not being a big fan of touristy Monterey, I'd spend the night around the Hearst castle. You can get a very reasonably priced oceanfront hotel.

We stayed at the Best Western Cavalier, which is on the ocean, with seating and fires lit at night on the beach. It is charming. Fireplaces in most rooms, too.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Totally agree with you about Monterey and if it was just me and my husband, I would stay overnight in Cambria or San Simeon. But with two 14 year olds, I would head to Monterey.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 10:56 AM

The boys might enjoy Santa Cruz. I agree with MichelleY about skipping Napa~There's not much there that would appeal to teenagers.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 12:00 PM

It's about a 3 hour drive from Hearst Castle to Monterey, not including stops. So if you leave Hearst Castle around 3, you are reasonably looking at an 8 or 9 pm arrival in Monterey. I think this is too much for that day.

If this was my trip, on Day 5 I'd stay overnight in Pismo Beach or Avila beach instead of Santa Barbara so that I'd be farther north. Then on Day 6, get going reasonably early for a morning tour of Hearst Castle, then take the entire afternoon to drive up to Monterey, planning to arrive in Monterey about dinner time.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 12:07 PM

I love Santa Barbara but with the time you have, I'd stay in Pismo Beach or Cambria. There are some nice wineries inland from Cambria in Paso Robles, take Highway 46. Or the dune buggy or Hummer ride also sounds like fun.
Santa Monica is much closer to LAX than Laguna Beach, which although very nice is not even in LA County.
The boys might enjoy seeing the space shuttle at the Science Center near Exposition Park, or maybe La Brea Tarpits. The Petersen Automotive Museum is also really cool but presently closed for remodeling. And of course there is always Disneyland or if they are coaster freaks, Six Flags Magic Mountain.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 05:13 PM

I'd think 14 year olds would really get a kick out of bonfires on the beach.

Santa Barbara is worth a stop. If you stay the night, there's a little motel that's quite nice, just a block from the marina. I think it's Castillo Inn, but I can find its name for sure if you're interested.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 05:17 PM

http://www.sbcastilloinn.com

This one.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Day 6 - early morning - drive to Hearst Castle, spend half day in that area - now here's where debate starts, sleep at Cambria? or leave Hearst Castle around by 2 or 3pm and drive to Carmel or Monterey
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

hi everyone, awesome feedback, keep it coming. One question, is it worth going to Laguana for one night based on my tight schedule in LA - I would do this my first day, we arrive at LAX around 11am, drive straight to Laguana, spend the night and then drive up to LA the next day. Or don't bother, and just stay in Santa Monica instead for one night and then move to W Hollywood?
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 07:13 AM

I've read all the posts in this thread, but haven't commented until now. My recommendation is to go directly to your hotel in West Hollywood after landing at LAX. This is basically what janisj suggested. You're going to see plenty of the ocean after leaving LA. And if part of your LA itinerary includes the Getty Villa or the Getty Center, you'll be in the vicinity of Santa Monica and can drop by to see what it looks like.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 07:15 AM

No, it's not worth it. And I love Laguna Beach (notice the spelling). But the hour's drive just for one night is, to be blunt, foolish.

It is also, to be blunt, foolish to start off with one night in Santa Monica and then move to WeHo. Pick one, be done with it.

I would think about making the visit to the beach a day trip from WeHo; this would shave about a half-hour of travel (or more) for your sightseeing off that you'd incur having to get in and out of Santa Monica. The traffic into and out of SM can be quite awful. I know well; I work there and commute from Long Beach every work day.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with the others on two hotels one after the other. Stick with either WeHo or SM. If money is a concern, WeHo is less expensive (generally speaking) than SM for hotels.

Are you going to be in LA over 4th of July? If so, I'd suggest getting tickets for the Hollywood Bowl. July 2nd - July 4th the Bowl celebrates Independence Day with fireworks at the end, and they are great! Smokey Robinson is the performer for these 3 nights, and he puts on a great show. Teens would love it AND you'd be at the Bowl AND you'd see great fireworks. If you decide to do this, best to park at the Hollywood/Highland complex and take the shuttle ($5.00 round trip) up to the Bowl and back. Way better than being stuck in stacked parking.

Grauman's Chinese is next to/incorporated into the complex.

Depending on where you plant yourselves in WeHo, it's about a 15 - 20 min. drive to SM or Venice.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks again everyone, here's new itinerary:
first 4 days - W. Hollywood - Andaz
day 5 - leave early, hit Malibu, Santa Barbara, then drive to Cambria for overnight stay
Day 6 - do Hearst Castle in the morning, then take the afternoon to drive to Monterey for 2 nights before heading to San Fran. Probably try to stop in Santa Cruz on the way to San Fran.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 09:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice -- definitely an improvement.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM

Much better.

I hope you will report back on the Andaz hotel. It looks cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -