Reload this Page >

Family Vacation Ideas?

Search

Family Vacation Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:04 AM
John

Family Vacation Ideas?

Hello all...would like opinions on good destinations for family other than Disney world.

We have four kids (8,6,2,6mo) and want a place where adults can relax and still have things for the kids to do (tennis, maybe an amusement park, museum, etc.)

Any advice appreciated.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Lori

Well, adults can't relax at an amusement park, and a museum doesn't sound like it would be at the top of the kids' lists of fun things to do. How about a beach vacation? The adults can relax while the kids dig in the sand, search for shells, etc. Sanibel Island, FL is a very relaxing destination.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:53 AM
John

thanks...I guess I meant an amusement park for one day, not that we would stay in the middle of one...part of us having fun is watching the kids have fun so that is doable...

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:27 AM
xxx

San Diego! Legoland, SeaWorld, beaches, ferries, Wild Animal Park, Old Town. Great weather - this city is designed for family vacations!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:09 AM
ja

I agree with previous poster, San Diego area is great! We stayed last fall in Carlsbad, a little north of San Diego. That is where Legoland is, and with the ages of your kids they would love it. It is about an hour south of Disneyland and one hour north of San Diego where there is Sea World and zoo. We did go to wild animal park when we were there and loved it, but I think your kids are a little to young for it-lots of walking and animals are in a natural habitat so it is harder to see them. Zoo would be better option for you. The beaches are nice in the area, great family vacation.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:23 AM
gail

As a mother, I am wondering how you will have any opportunity to relax with 4 kids of that age. I would think that destination is less important than amenities - especially babysitting or kid club type arrangement. Many hotels at resort areas on coasts (Florida, Calif.) have such things. But beware. We travelled once slightly off-season and found that the advertised kids' activities were not going on then. Any chance you could/would hire a babysitter, cousin, etc. to accompany you for babysitting? You both deserve some sort of vacation, too!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Jen

Well since you mentioned Disney World, I will throw Florida out there. We have been to Destin, FL for two years in a row and are considering a third (without the kids this time! LOL). The kids had a blast (aged 2, 10, 11). There are amusement park stuff there (not as big as Disney, thankfully) but lots of stuff for parents to enjoy as well. We went through Newman Dailey resorts both times and found it to be satisfactory. They also offer discounts for kids stuff as well as golf at a VERY nice club. Good luck.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Mike Hocksbigg

jekyll island off georgia coast might be good....

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM
lcuy

How about a dude ranch? They are like summer camp, but for families.
Check the book 'Ranch Vacations' to find one in your neck of the woods, with the activities you want. They range widely. Some are serious horse farms with no kids allowed, but many of them are family oriented, with babysitting and lots of supervised pony rides, crafts and swimming for the little kids, and then relaxing at the pool, fly fishing, rafting, canoeing, dancing, tennis or even golf for the biggest "kids".
We've done this 3 times and found it to be a really relaxing, but very fun and memorable family vacation.
Beware though, many families try it once and end up coming back year after year. We've met families on their second generation!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Scott

we rented a houseboat at dale hollow a few years back

kids had a blast

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:48 AM
ttt

ttt