Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family trip to SW - is this a good itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everybody. Well, I think I've finally talked the family into going to the SW next year (end of May, 2006), and thanks to reading so much on this site, I've been trying to sort of plan out an itinerary. See what you think:

Day 1: Fly from Atlanta to Las Vegas, drive to Zion NP (2.5 hrs?) (O/V at Desert Pearl Inn)

Day 2: Zion, O/V at Desert Pearl

Day 3: Zion/Springdale; O/V at Desert Pearl

Day 4: Drive to Bryce NP; explore; in evening drive to Page (where to stay?)

Day 5: Float trip in a.m. Drive to Grand Canyon. O/V at Bright Angel Lodge?

Day 6: Grand Canyon; O/V at Bright Angel?

Day 7: Drive to Las Vegas; O/V at JW Marriott (with Marriott points) in Las Vegas

Day 8: Relax at hotel; O/V at JW Marriott

Day 9: Red Rock Canyon or Valley of Fire; O/V JW Marriott

Day 10: Fly back to Atlanta

We are a family of 5 -- kids will be 22, 19 and 17 on this trip. We like nature/outdoor things, but we also like to relax (that's why we want to stay the last 3 nights at the JW Marriott). We've traveled quite a bit, but never have seen the Grand Canyon or Zion/Bryce. We're not interested in night life and don't really want to stay on the LV Strip.

Questions:
1) Where do we get info re float trip in Page? I've found the Lake Powell site, but it doesn't give much information. What type of boat do they use? How much does it cost?

2) Where to stay in Page?

3) How long does it take to get from Bryce to Page and then from Page to Grand Canyon?

4) Is Bright Angel Lodge best place to stay in GC?

5) Is there a better itinerary so we can do all these things?

Any suggestions you all can give would be great. We've already got our family vacation planned for this year (Kauai), but I'm always planning ahead. I've even started on 2007 (France, Italy). I guess you've probably guessed that I spend WAY too much time on this site!!

Thanks very much.

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better if we skipped Bryce and went to Page for 2 nights?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:57 AM

Below is a website with more information on the float trip. The second picture is of the rafts used on the float trip. Click on "Click Here to Make Reservations" and you will get all the info you need. The cost is $62.00 per person. It's gone up $3.00 since we went in 2003, but it's still a great bargin for what you get.

http://www.riveradventures.com/trips_float_trips.shtml

Here are our pictures on the float trip:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...2003/float.htm

From Las Vegas Airport to Zion will probably be closer to 3 hours than 2 1/2. From the Airport you have to drive though town and even on the interstate they have a lot of traffic in Las Vegas!

From Zion to Bryce is only 86 miles but allow 2 hours for driving. From Bryce to Page via Kanab to stay on paved roads is and 153 miles and a little over 3 hours driving time.

From Page to Grand Canyon entrance at Desert View is 115 miles and takes about 2 1/2 hours. From Desert View to the Grand Canyon Village is 25 miles and driving time is 1/2 an hour BUT there are MANY great view points that should be stopped at so allow a couple of hours for stopping at the over looks.

I have no idea what the lodging is like because we always camp, but for location, location, location, I would want to stay at the Wahweap Marina while in Page.

I don't understand the question about skipping Bryce and spending two nights in Page. Your plan said you only visited Bryce and are spending one night in Page. Where did you get that extra night? If it were me, I think I would plan one night at Bryce and leave the one night a Page unless you want to give up Las Vegas or add some days to the trip.

I see you say at the end of May. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR PAGE OR GRAND CANYON ON THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!!

Utahtea

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:05 AM

Skip Bryce? No way! I think it's the coolest part of this trip. If I were you I'd cut the # of nights at Zion from 3 down to 2 and spend one night at Bryce. Watching the sunrise there (from the rim, by the cabins) is an amazing experience I will never forget.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info! What I meant was skipping Bryce in favor of spending more TIME in Page, and not an extra night. But maybe we can add one more night to our trip, so we could spend one night at Bryce, because after looking at those pictures, Utahtea, I definitely want to go there. Your pictures are fantastic (and your grandson is beautiful)! We'll look at the Wahweap; also, thanks for all the driving distances and times. And Suzanne, which cabins are you recommending at Bryce?

Thanks.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM

It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned and I agree with everyone's suggestions except for one. We stayed at the Wahweap Marina and were not very impressed. The rooms were only average, the corridors were noisy, and our sliding glass door wouldn't open so we couldn't access the balcony. We saw other motels and hotels in Page and would most likely choose one of them next time.

Also, if you have time, try to fit in a visit to the Antelope Slot Canyons just outside of Page. The tour only takes an hour or so and the canyon was amazing. Photography buffs go nuts there.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM

Pictures are WORTH a 1000 words

Like I said, we have never stayed at Wahweap except at the campground...so listen to what others say about lodging.

We think our little grandson is pretty cute too! He and his Mommy and Daddy just moved near us so we are so HAPPY! Thanks.

Utahtea

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, KathrynT, for the info on the Wahweap. And I also saw Utahtea's pictures of the Antelope Slot Canyon, so that has been added to the list, as well. My husband said this trip will be 4 weeks long before I'm through planning!

If we added one night to the trip and spent it in Bryce, we could leave Bryce the next morning and drive to Page; would we have time to see Antelope Slot Canyons that day? The next day would be the float trip (probably morning) and then the drive to GC.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:46 PM

The Upper Antelope Slots Canyon will only take 1 1/2 hours so you should have plenty of time to do that after driving from Bryce. There are plenty of tour guides so you really don't have to make reservations to far in advance.

After the slots tour, you will probably have enough time to go do the short 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend. It's just a short drive from Page.

Four weeks would be GREAT and I could fill up that time with many suggestons of things to do in Utah...if you want >

Utahtea
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Is there a phone # for Antelope Slots tour guides? Maybe we should just call the day before to arrange a guide?

And is the Horseshoe Bend trail marked?

I WISH we could go for 4 weeks, but alas!! Oh, well, 10 days is a good start, or 11 days, or 12 ...

Thanks so much for all your helpful ideas. I really appreciate it. I'll have lots more questions in the upcoming months, I'm sure.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:16 AM

Antelope Slot Canyon: we went with Grand Circle Adventures (ask for Jesse). There are at least 3 others that do it -- do a web search for comparison sake.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Laurie!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:48 PM

We also went though Grand Circle Adventures and were very happy.

http://antelopeslotcanyontours.com/index.html

There are many companies that do the tour:

http://www.pagelakepowellchamber.org...pe_canyon.html

We didn't book though the Chamber of Commerce. I think it was a little cheaper by going right to the tour company, but we got an idea of cost and times from the website. Keep in mind, these are 2001 rates.

The turnoff on Hwy 89 for the Horseshoe Bend Overlook is not that well marked. On the bus ride back from the float trip the driver pointed out the turnoff. If you take the float trip first, ask the bus driver to point it out on the drive back to Page. There is a sign at the beginning of the hike and the path is very easy to follow.

Drive 5 miles south of the Carl Hayden Visitor Center on Hwy 89, just south of Hwy marker 545 turn west on the dirt road and park. The trail is .4 miles to the viewpoint. Allow about 1 hr. Here is more information:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/u...z/hik_glen.htm

Utahtea

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Utahtea! I'm copying this post onto my "Southwest" file.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:39 AM

A question for KathrynT, or anyone:

If not Wahweap Marina, where would you stay in Page?
Or somewhere *unique* OR with a *view* in Kanab?
(we have other lodging planned in Bryce ect.)

I've planned most of our trip without asking questions by using *SEARCH* and want to thank you all for your informative posts.

Would appreciate alternative lodging names in Page.
Preferably with a view and sliding doors to balconys that work (sorry that happened to you Kathryn.)

THanks again.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Topping -

Apparently Wahweap Marina is now called Lake Powell Resort. Any new updated feedback re staying there, or other, better choices? Reviews on Trip Advisor are mixed.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:09 PM

We did see other hotels and motels in Page but only from the outside. As I recall, the Marriott Courtyard looked nice.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Thank you Kathryn.

The Courtyard is #1 on Tripadvisor, however it is booked when we will be there.

Any other ideas anyone?

Any good lodging in Kanab that you would recommend instead of Page?