Family Trip to Biloxi MS

Search

Family Trip to Biloxi MS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Trip to Biloxi MS

Our family is meeting in Biloxi for a week in July. I know it's not the best time to go,but that's how it worked out. We have a range of children and grchildren from ages 6-50. Can you tell me some interesting things for the young and the old...mainly the young. We have a condo rented located just across I-90 on the MS Sound. The beach looks nice in that area..What's the water like? Is crabbing in season in July? If so, how is that done?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Honeypooh
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM

I havent been there in a long time but here's some things they may be interested in and a couple of websites that may help you out. Have fun and be safe.
Ohr-O'Keefe Museum,Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum,Biloxi Lighthouse,Beauvoir,Ship Island,Biloxi Shrimping Trip.

http://www.gulfcoast.org/

http://www.biloxi.ms.us/attractions/
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that information. We are looking into a number of those ideas. I'm wondering if you or anyone has done any crabbing and how that is done. I'm told that crabbing is in season. Can we do this on a public beach, what kind of equipment do we need, etc. Someone told me that we can go out at night with flashlights on the beach and get crabs that way. Thought the kids might get into that.

I'm also wondering about a good family-type, reasonably priced restaurant that will serve local fare...so the kids can experience different foods. Any help on that would be great also.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Hi I havent done any crabbing but it does sound like fun but I think also could be dangerous with the crab pinchers so be careful if you do it. As far as restaurants I would recommend Carnaval de Brasil(Pricey),Thirty-Two,Mary Mahoney's Old French House,Port-O-Call Seafood Restaurant,Ole Biloxi Schooner,Back Bay Buffet(really good food for a buffet),El Rancho Bar & Grill(Great Mexican food),Burger Burger(great burger joint).
There is also several chain restaurants down there too. I personality dont like to eat at chain restaurants when I go out of town. I like the local restaurants the best.
Hopefully others may know more about the crabbing and can give you better info on it.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your information. With 15 of us, the Back Bay Buffet might be a good place to go.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Mary Mahoney's is a bit of an institution and can handle large parties - It is sugggested just because if has been in continuous operation for a gajillion years. The Ship Island excursion is very much recommended and leaves from Gulfport.
as far as chain restaurants are concerned - right on the Gulfport -Biloxi line is an Olive Garden that is well run. NO need ot apologize for the time of year - July is jsut as good a time to go as any other.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM

Take your crew to Shaggy's and dine outdoors by the Marina.

http://www.shaggys.biz/