Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family destination for March 2006 that's not Disney or on a beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I love answering these open-ended questions, so I thought I'd finally ask one!

Our family is Mom, Dad, 5 year old girl and 3 year old boy. We are NOT lie around on the beach people, although I haven't ruled out the Caribbean, just because we've never done it. I'm not really interested in Florida or anything Disney. We recently moved to Tulsa from San Diego, and I don't know if we're ready to go back to California yet...we want something new.

Last year for spring break we drove down to San Antonio, which was fun. In April we met some family in Sedona, which the kids loved. We're not dying to go back to the Southwest, as DH is from NM and we're very familiar with the area. We have family in Denver so we already make trips to Colorado every now and then. In the summer (2006) we will visit friends in Minnesota, then drive to Chicago for a few days.

Here are some places that sound appealing to me, but I don't know how feasible they are because of weather:

Portland and the Oregon Coast
Seattle/Vancouver
Mountains of Utah or Idaho--skiing?
Charleston and Savannah

Everyone goes south in March; am I out of my mind to do the reverse? What's missing from my list? We're also tossing around the idea of Europe, as DH and I have been several times without the kids and DD is very curious. The long plane ride, though...ugh. Same concern for Hawaii.

So, what should I add/delete from my list? Do you have a hidden gem to tell me about?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Tess

Hmmm, interesting question! I was all set to recommend San Antonio or Denver, but you beat me to them
I hear you on Disney. It's great for some people but has never been my favorite destination.

Even though you're not beach people, have you considered Atlantis in the Bahamas? We took our kids to Beaches Negril when they were 8 and 11 and they loved that.

From your list, I would think Charleston or Seattle would be intriguing. Have only visited Seattle in the summer and fall, though, so don't know what their spring is like but what a gorgeous area! Your kids would no doubt love the ferry rides and the Pike Street market (flying fish).

It will be fun watching what others on this board have to say to your question.

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:45 PM

River cruise in one of the Southern states?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM

Seattle is wonderful, but I have to admit it: it will rain just about every day in March. Not tropical, downpour rain, more like a gentle mist, but it will be damp. There are still lots of indoor things to do that you might enjoy - Seattle has a wealth of activities.

That said, I'd go to Charleston or Savannah. Beautiful weather in the spring - flowers in bloom, just lovely places, both of them. Check out their visitor/tourist bureau websites and take a look.

I'd vote
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:22 PM

What about Washington DC area? My children loved the museums, the memorials and such... even though at that age they will not understand.

You can do side trips to Montecello, Annapolis, Williamsburg..... It will be chilly, maybe even cold but it so rich in history, architecture, culture...we loved it.
What about Branson??? OHMIGOD, did I really say that??!! LOL...You could drive there and I do hear it is very family friendly, soehting to keep the little ones occupied all day long...
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:28 PM
Tess

annesherod,

I got the giggles reading your post about Branson--it reminded me of a story a friend told me about a family trip there years ago. They stopped at the Precious Moments Chapel and the creepy life sized P.M. figurines scared her small children and they all burst into tears and had to be led away to the car. She said one of them had nightmares that night and ended up being quite the family memory--just not in the way she intended. Makes me laugh whenever I think of Branson.

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM

Tess,
That is hysterical!! I will probably have nightmares about the precious moments figurines coming to life tonight!!
Who knew such a thing existed!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM

Much as I love both Charleston and Savannah, they are probably "adult" destinations -- architecture, history, food, etc. The weather should be delightful but without the beach (although you could certainly walk on it and perhaps fish), not sure there's enough to be either meaningful or entertaining for such young children.

A ski trip, on the other hand, sounds like a grand idea. I don't know any child who isn't fascinated by snow -- and just think of all the possible activities: Cross country, down hill, toboganning, sledding, ice skating, sleigh rides ... not to mention how well they will sleep after a day of fresh air.

JMHO.
B/

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:45 PM

We've had nice spring break trips to Williamsburg, Chicago and Arizona. We took the kids to Paris and this year we're considering Costa Rica. (Do a search of my posts or of "Hawaii Costa Rica", on both this board and the Latin America board, and you will see theads about whether we should go to Hawaii or Costa. You might find some of the info helpful.)

I do admit, however, that we waited until the kids were a bit older before we started spending serious money on trips. If the kids are only 3 and 5, who is it that will be on spring break? Are you teachers?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

missypie,

My daughter is starting kindergarten, so it will be her spring break. I know it's not that big a deal if we take her out of school at this age, but we may as well play by the rules.

Anne and Tess, too funny about Branson! It's close enough that we are planning to make a long weekend out of it sometime this fall. I don't know if I could take a whole week of it, lol.

dsquared, thanks for the weather report on Seattle. It's very high on our to-do list, but we'll save it for summer.

I know DH would love the idea of a week in the mountains, as he loves to ski.

Any thoughts on the Oregon Coast in March? Too wet?

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:21 PM

Is there really anything intellectually stimulating to a 3 & 5 yr old? For that age, a beach would be fun, plenty of water activities. I know you will not like this answer but Myrtle Beach is a family oriented vacation place. If you want something more interesting for the adults, go down to Charleston or Kiawah (sp?) Island.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM

SC coast, unless you're a Viking, is much too cold for beach activities during that time of year.

B/
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. DH and I discussed it, and it looks like we'll be going to Utah for a ski vacation. I'll ask more specific questions about which village and such in a later post.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM

While we're kinda sorta on the subject of Branson. It's not too early to start reading the "Little House" books to our kids. (Girls AND boys both love them.) When you're in the Branson area, go to Mansfield, MO...that's where Laura and Almonzo's house is (where she wrote the books). There's also a museum on site that has great things, including Pa's fiddle!