Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fallingwater - Lodging between Pit & NJ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering taking a 2-3 night trip from NJ to see Fallingwater. From what I can tell, it will be about an 8-hour drive from the Jersey Shore. We would like to stay in a nice place (Marriott/Westin type) but not as stuffy/sophisticated as the Nemacolin Resort appears to be. We would also prefer not to have to drive as far as Pittsburgh, only to have to drive east again for Fallingwater - are there nice hotels between Fallingwater & NJ - but obviously, closer to Fallingwater?

Thanks!
Lisa
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wanted to suggest that you also visit Kentuck Knob http://www.kentuckknob.com/ another FLW house -- quite close to Fallingwater. Can't help with places to stay. When visitng that area I have stayed in Pittsburgh and also Nemacolin, which I didn't love, but it's not really stuffy or particularly sophisticated..its just a huge resort.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:13 AM

There are no Marriott/Westin type large business hotels enroute.

But how about this place?

www.bedfordspringsresort.com/default_.asp
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM

LPOW
I live within about a 15 minute drive of Fallingwater. You have to keep in mind you are visiting a rural area, so Marriot and Westin type resorts don't really exist around here. If you are coming across from NJ, here are a couple of lodging/activity/sightseeing recommendations.
Deep Creek Lake, MD is a great mountainous but scenic activity area. No Marriots/Westins, but you will find some suitable accomodations since this is an area with lake and mountain region (skiing, boating, swimming). If you drive south from NJ (depending on where you live) to this area and are able to hit Route 68, the drive is wonderful and scenic. Just taking a guess, Fallingwater is only about 30 minutes from Deep Creek.
Other resort type areas that would find you driving across the PA turnpike in an westerly direction and accessible by the PA turnpike in Somerset would be Seven Springs Resort and Hidden Valley Resort. These are winter ski resorts with modest accomodations that also have some summer activities. Seven Springs would have more going on than Hidden Valley and both would probably be a 30-40 minute drive away, but on back roads.
There is another historic inn located about 10 minutes from Fallingwater called Mt. Summit Inn. It is located at the top of the Summit mountain. I haven't stayed here personally, but I would probably say the accomodations are quaint. http://www.summitinnresort.com/ It boasts the closest accomodation to Fallingwater. Also a nine hole golf course adjacent. If you want to actually stay in the vicinity of Fallingwater, this would probably be your best bet.
Another option are some B&B's located in Ohiopyle at Ohiopyle Falls State Park.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar.../ohiopyle.aspx
Would also be a short trip here to Fallingwater or from the Mt. Summit Inn...this is a neat but very small town with a couple of restaurants but lots of outdoor activities, situated along a very long section of rail trail (Yough River Trail and Allegheny Passage) that extends from eastern Maryland to Pittsburgh. http://www.atatrail.org
In addition to observing the falls, you can bike, hike, walk, picnic and white water raft.
The closest chain hotels would be about 10 minutes down the mountain from the Mt. Summit Inn in the city of Uniontown--Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Super 8 and just another 8 minutes or so west of Uniontown is a B&B called Watson's Choice that gets good local reviews. http://www.watsonschoice.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Also, forgot to mention you may want to visit Fort Necessity while in the area.
http://www.nps.gov/fone
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM

hugglynn, thanks for such great info. A road trip to Fallingwater has been on my "to do" list for a couple of years. I'm so glad to have this great information compiled in one place. Many thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM

You could stop in Hershey and stay at the Hotel Hershey.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
yk

You can stay at the newly-opened Duncan House (a Wright house). Not cheap, but I think it's a unique experience!
http://www.polymathpark.com/index.asp
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Another option is to stop at Gettysburg mid-way if you are a history buff. It's the largest battlefield shrine in America with over 1,000 monuments and cannon and over 40 miles of scenic avenues.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

We decided to stay at the Amish View Inn (GORGEOUS room has fireplace & whirlpool - Hotel has indoor pool & small fitness area and a wonderful free breakfast (we've been there before - and Tripadvisor reviews are still stellar) the next morning - get up very early and drive to Fallingwater & Kentuck Knob for the day (should be around 3 1/2-4 hours)- then drive back and stay another 2 nights.

Lisa
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM

PLEASE do a trip report. I so want to go!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM

I second the trip report, please.

We live in NJ also and are always looking for places to go (as if you can run out of place in this area )
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
yk

starrsville & zlaor -

If you folks want to read about FLW's Fallingwater & Kentuck Knob, feel free to read my recent trip report from July. I went the Pittsburgh for 4 days and did a day trip to see FLW's houses.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35028729
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Curious as to why you decided to stay some place you had already been? Some of us gave good options. Why not try something new? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

SusieQQ - There are several reasons we opted to stay at the Amish View in Bird In Hand as opposed to other places:

As I had stated - it is a gorgeous, impeccably maintained property with wonderful amenities: indoor pool, fitness facilities, great full breakfast (free), many rooms have fireplaces and or whirlpools (very romantic ;-)) and kitchens/kitchenettes. While we have visited the Lancaster area many times and are repulsed by the many cheesy touristy attractions - we do love to drive around and see the people, farmland - go antiquing, art galleries, etc. (one year we witnessed a real barn-raising and were given permission to take photos!!).

Hershey Resort sounds lovely - but a little too stuffy for our liking - and do not feel as though there would be too much to do there for us.

As for B&Bs closer to Fallingwater - we are not the B&B type. We prefer the amenties listed above.

The hotels near Fallingwater do not seem to measure up to our needs (reviews and ameneties)... and we do not want to spend any time in Pittsburgh.

So, there you have it

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM

At the risk of also sounding confrontational, I am really confused by this whole thread.

First you asked for Marriott/Westin type recommendations and something closer to FW, then in the end you chose the Amish View Inn (not Marriott or Westin-like)for its impeccable & gorgeous property, but at the same time, Nemacolin Resort and Hershey were both classified as too stuffy but "the hotels near Fallingwater do not seem to measure up to our needs (reviews and ameneties)"--(I can assure you Nemacolin would probably live up to most people's needs.)
Amish View Inn appears to be just as sophisticated, IMO, so I guess at this point I am just totally confused about what you were requesting from the forum
because from my point of view, it seems as though you asked the forum for advice but in the end you already knew what you wanted (and where) and it was somewhere you had gone before...
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM

lpowmacback, Have a great trip and enjoy Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. Also, in the Laurel Higlands area, hope you have time to check out Ligoner and the two flood museums in Johnstown.

http://laurelhighlands.org/
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

hugglynn - you sound offended that I feel some of the options for lodging here do not measure up to me & my husband. I did not mean to offend anyone - they just don't fit the bill for us.

We did want a place like a Marriott - but there are none to be had right around Fallingwater.

Nemacolin Resort and Hershey Hotel do seem to be a bit more formal than we would like. The Amish View, while beautiful, etc, is not as ...hmmm... please don't be offended - but it does not seem to be as pretentious. While we have no problem spending over $550 a night (we do when we go to St. John, USVI - among other places), we do not want to spend $400 a night for a room without a fireplace, etc - and in a place we do not want to spend time (Hershey) or at a resort that doesn't strike me (Nemacolin) - Do you see - it's just our preference - please don't take offense - I was just trying to be honest and upfront about what WE like and do not like.

Lisa
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Lisa, it looks like a great place to stay. I've bookmarked it. Have you taken the buggy ride?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -