Search

Fallingwater

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fallingwater

I've always wanted to visit this architectural landmark. Please advise as to what town to stay in, whether to drive or take a tour, and what season you think is best. Thanks.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 12:14 PM

It's been several years since I visited Fallingwater, but my memory is that it's not far from the Pa. Turnpike and that there are several moderate-cost chain motels right near the exit. Don't know what your tastes are in accommodations, but we went with basic and clean, since we were only staying one night.

I'd say spring is the best time, when the weather's moderate and the water's running swiftly.

When you say 'take a tour,' I guess you mean bus tour. That depends on you, I think. If you hate driving (where are you coming from?) the bus is OK.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 01:00 PM

If you take a tour, make sure it also includes Kentuck Knob, aka the Hagan House. It's another Wright-designed property about 15 miles away.

If you do decide to drive, I'd suggest the deluxe tour of Fallingwater. It's probably about $40 each now. But it starts about 8:30 in the morning, before the regular group tours, and allows you to use a camera inside the house. Well-worth the money.

I'd suggest late spring or early summer.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Pittsburgh is an hour and a half away from Fallingwater. I took in a Best Western on its southside and enjoyed some of its attractions - downtown, Shadyside neighborhood, and an IKEA store . If you're looking for a rounded vacation I'd stay in Pitt.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 03:23 PM
LN

Hi

We went to Fallinwater in the early summer. We stayed in Somerset right off the Pennsylvania Turnpike and then headed down to fallingwater in the morning. I believe you can call ahead and make your reservations and Kentuck Knob is very close so it would be nice to see both properties.

The home was originally built for the Kaufman family (the retailers) in Pittsburgh and it's easily one of our favorites of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 08:53 PM

If you are looking for an upscale resort to stay at, I would suggest Nemacolin. It's about 10 minutes from falling water and is very nice. The roooms are huge and nicely decorated, the hotel has it's own wonderful art collection, the spa is GREAT, and there are nice golf courses and other activities there. It's EXPENSIVE, though. (I stayed there on business). But, if you are wanting a splurge, I'd go!
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 02:10 PM

The closest town is Ohiopyle and there are some small hotel/motels and B&B's there.

As a 6 degrees of separation item, my grandfather owned a farm at Bear Run where my father grew up. In the 1930's, the Kaufman's bought it from him and it became part of the grounds at Fallingwater. We have copies of the deeds in our family history file.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the responses.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM

dovima, I, too, "always" wanted to visit Fallingwater, so a few summers ago, I just did it. I would think that the place woud be beautiful at any time of year, but fall would probably be spectacular.

I'm not sure what you mean by "take a tour," but you should know that at the time of my visit it was necessary to take a tour of the building, probably still is. And you have to make a reservation well in advance, particularly during the summer, because they limit the number of people in the house at one time. There's no way you can wander around independently.

Like designmr, I flew into and out of Pittsburgh, stayed in the city and did Fallingwater as a day trip. Worked out perfectly.

Pittsburgh turned out to be a great destination in itself, something I certainly did not expect. The Andy Warhol Museum is definitely a must-see.